The only reason I can think off why the toilet is plumbed into the fresh water system is cost.
There are so many ways to save water, my wife and I can go on 10 g/day incl. showers - and no we don't stink.
- Oxygenics Shower head.
- Take Navy shower.
- Save cold water when first turning on shower or tab in bucket to flush the toilet or rinse the dishes after washing.
- Do the dishes once a day, we put them in the sink damp and cover with a sink cover shaped from a UHMW cutting board (we don't use paper or plastic dishes) - doesn't work for a large family obviously.
- Only open the tab just enough when washing hands, etc.
- Draining water from the gray tank to use in the toilet would be an option, but we're not that desperate. Having said that, you do need a certain amount of water for the toilet to avoid that proverbial mountain of ...
- Buy a Porta Potty, they're not as fancy but they do work - or a composting toilet for $1,000
There are probably many more ways to save water that I'm not aware off.
2013 RAM 3500 Dually Longhorn
2014 Trilogy 3650RL, W/D, Onan 5500, 8000# Axles, IS, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger