Old 09-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #11

For us it's probably more important to cook more simply so we don't dirty so many pans but the paper plate point is important.

Really interesting that everyone hits the gray tank limit first. Strong argument that gray tank should run a little larger than the black. Multiple people have pointed out that it's a lot easier/quicker to top off your water than empty tanks.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #12

We have 100-40-40 and fill 2 gw to 1 bw.We can go 2 weeks on the black, and we dont use any other bathrooms. 4 gal showers and limited dishwashing (mostly dog dishes) will fill the grey in 5 -6 days.We dont have a tote,weve been luckey enough to be able to always borrow one,but next season I want my own.I have never had to add fresh water to make it two weeks.I always haul a full fw tank from home,it makes no difference in how the trailer pulls or reacts and I think its because the goosenck design is very forgiveing of wieght shifts (We learned that from pulling LQ horse trailers for a while,they dont care how you load or dont load them). I never use the city water connection,just the on board tank and pump.We generally use throw away plates,but real flatware, so that must be washed.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
If we're careful we can get by on 30 gals of fresh water per day and that's two daily showers and using paper plates. The black tank accumulates about 6 gals per day and the gray tank about 16 gals per day.
So where do the other 8 gallons go?
Old 09-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyG View Post
If we're careful we can get by on 30 gals of fresh water per day and that's two daily showers and using paper plates. The black tank accumulates about 6 gals per day and the gray tank about 16 gals per day.

Wow,those must be long hot showers!
Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 AM   #15
RV Vagabond Jerry

I always thought it weird that the toilet gets water from the fresh tank rather than from the grey tank. Does anyone turn the water off to the toilet and pour grey water from gallon jugs to flush the toilet?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

The only reason I can think off why the toilet is plumbed into the fresh water system is cost.
There are so many ways to save water, my wife and I can go on 10 g/day incl. showers - and no we don't stink.
- Oxygenics Shower head.
- Take Navy shower.
- Save cold water when first turning on shower or tab in bucket to flush the toilet or rinse the dishes after washing.
- Do the dishes once a day, we put them in the sink damp and cover with a sink cover shaped from a UHMW cutting board (we don't use paper or plastic dishes) - doesn't work for a large family obviously.
- Only open the tab just enough when washing hands, etc.
- Draining water from the gray tank to use in the toilet would be an option, but we're not that desperate. Having said that, you do need a certain amount of water for the toilet to avoid that proverbial mountain of ...
- Buy a Porta Potty, they're not as fancy but they do work - or a composting toilet for $1,000

There are probably many more ways to save water that I'm not aware off.
Cypressloser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

I've heard of folks draining some gray into a basis of washing in the Basin then flushing with the gray that way. My guess, even thought it is gray water there is still food parts and other nasties that could be in it and would plug up the plumbing. Even a filter would get clocked and need changing.. Yum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #18

water consumption

If you ever smell grey water tank when emptying I would not want that smell in camper.
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
I always thought it weird that the toilet gets water from the fresh tank rather than from the grey tank. Does anyone turn the water off to the toilet and pour grey water from gallon jugs to flush the toilet?
We wash our dishes in a dishpan and put that water in the toilet.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
We wash our dishes in a dishpan and put that water in the toilet.

X2. Helps add more soapy water to the BW tank and helps prolong the capacity of get GW tank.

Tags
water