Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Did you read the quote that I quoted from bikenden" "Dry Camping is camping in developed campgrounds that don't have any hookups.

Boondocking is camping in areas that have no developed sites, such as deserts, BLM land, national or state forests, Walmart and so on.

Thanks Moab!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #22

Bikendan:

You stated "We don't boondock but we do dry camp most of the time."

This is what started me asking questions because the OP was asking about generators, solar, etc. and your statement above got me asking about this, which somehow got us into this hair-splitting discussion.

It would appear to me that WITH RESPECT TO HIS QUESTION regarding generators and AC, your statement is really immaterial, in that boondocking and dry camping are the same - WITH RESPECT TO HIS QUESTION. I don't think developed vs undeveloped, or paid vs free sites makes any difference, per se.

So now I understand what the difference is to you, but it doesn't really mean a thing WRT the OPs question i.e., no hookups - what do I do?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Did you read the quote that I quoted from bikenden" "Dry Camping is camping in developed campgrounds that don't have any hookups.

Boondocking is camping in areas that have no developed sites, such as deserts, BLM land, national or state forests, Walmart and so on.

So yea, what you imply is correct and I guess the distinction is narrow. However, there is one other major distinction that has not been mentioned. Dry camping is in a developed campground where there were probably 20 or more campsites, and you have to pay to camp.

Boondocking is just that "in the boonies," and there is NO fee to camp (free) and if lucky, no one but coyotes, mountain lions, lizards, etc., withing a mile or two.

Didn't know there were rules.. Lol

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #24

Hey, we've got rules for everything it seems!

I think it's how you tell the civilized from the uncivilized campers!

Old 07-15-2016, 05:15 AM   #25

For the DW, the difference between dry camping and boondocking is that the dry camping campground has some sort of toilet facilities. Neither of us are fans of the porta-potty in our little A-frame.

Many of the National Forest camps in Colorado are in-betweeners. Not developed or assigned campsites, but camping "areas" with possibly some scattered tables and some pit or vault potties.

Just personal preferences - it's all fun.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Bikendan:

You stated "We don't boondock but we do dry camp most of the time."

This is what started me asking questions because the OP was asking about generators, solar, etc. and your statement above got me asking about this, which somehow got us into this hair-splitting discussion.

It would appear to me that WITH RESPECT TO HIS QUESTION regarding generators and AC, your statement is really immaterial, in that boondocking and dry camping are the same - WITH RESPECT TO HIS QUESTION. I don't think developed vs undeveloped, or paid vs free sites makes any difference, per se.

WITH RESPECT I guess this misdirection of information could have stopped with you not asking the question of Bikendan. But those are my thoughts and this subject is between you and Bikendan.

So now I understand what the difference is to you, but it doesn't really mean a thing WRT the OPs question i.e., no hookups - what do I do?
I’ll admit, I should have not added further info, that seems to have upset you; however, I would bet 50% of the threads on this forum (or any other forums I visit) end up going off direction) and most Ops don’t usually care. Eventually, someone will note NICELY to bring it back on subject; usually a moderator.
Example of an answer that has nothing to do with the subject created by the original poster.
Refer to post 114
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...112856-12.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Didn't know there were rules.. Lol

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

As for rules, I'm as to when someone mentioned these were "rules."
In fact, I fail to see where anyone said these are rules; other than you.

They are opinions, views, etc., call them what you want in regard to the differences between dry camping and boondocking; however, NO ONE HAS SAID THEY ARE RULES on this thread.

I for one will return this thread back to the OP's questions and allow others to answer the original questions. I will forgo visiting or adding anymore info.

And I feel it is the best way to back out of this discussion, since my original post, which I have rewritten would have probably ended up being deleted and with a nasty-gram from an ACTUAL MODERATOR; and rightfully so!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #27

The description was in BOLD! And in colour!!

I'm a teacher. Bold AND colour!!!
Those are rules!!! Lol

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #28

So.. According to the rules...

If I sleep in my camper, in my drive way.. Is it dry, or boondocking.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Only dry I no alcohol is involved...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Only dry I no alcohol is involved...

Oh!!! Well then. I have never and will never dry camp.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

Sorry I should have been if.. Autocorrect fail..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #32

Quote:
I’ll admit, I should have not added further info, that seems to have upset you; however, I would bet 50% of the threads on this forum (or any other forums I visit) end up going off direction) and most Ops don’t usually care. Eventually, someone will note NICELY to bring it back on subject; usually a moderator.

As for rules, I'm as to when someone mentioned these were "rules."
In fact, I fail to see where anyone said these are rules; other than you.

They are opinions, views, etc., call them what you want in regard to the differences between dry camping and boondocking; however, NO ONE HAS SAID THEY ARE RULES on this thread.

I for one will return this thread back to the OP's questions and allow others to answer the original questions. I will forgo visiting or adding anymore info.

And I feel it is the best way to back out of this discussion, since my original post, which I have rewritten would have probably ended up being deleted and with a nasty-gram from an ACTUAL MODERATOR; and rightfully so!
Moab:

Since we've already stolen this thread:

Apparently I have been mis-construed.

1. I wasn't upset with anything anyone has said, you included. If any of my words have been construed as my being upset, you have read them incorrectly.

2. The point I was trying to make was that when Bikendan responded to the OP with his statement about having boondocked and drycamped, as if there was a difference between them, I was trying to understand that difference because I believed (and we have ultimately determined in Post #19), that there is no difference between them with respect to the OPs original question. Thus I was concluding that Bikendan's statement was unnecessary and (potentially) misleading. He may or may not agree at this point, but that's OK, too.

Now - in case someone mis-construes this response: I am not upset with any posts in this thread; I was only trying for "understanding," and I am only trying to ensure my point is/was understood appropriately. Hopefully I've added enough trink39's to get this point across!

Moderators - If you care to delete anything I've posted in this thread, feel free.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbdcj View Post
I apologize upfront if this topic has already been covered but I'm really excited about starting to boondock.
For the last 12 years all we have done is to go to private campgrounds with full service hook ups. I've heard pro's and con's to generators and solar,etc but I'm just not sure where to even start and what to expect when it comes to using the rig (e.g. Water supply, can i run the a/c, etc).
Any advice or direction for a newbie is greatly appreciated.
Good question!!! We boondock (camp without any facilities) about 80% of the time. We find the limiting factor the black tank which will last the 2 of us 2 to 3 weeks. We use 2 Honda eu2000i generators and run the a/c whenever we need it and recharge the batteries daily ( takes 2 to 3 hours). We use about 90 gallons a week of fresh water which we replenish using 6 six gallon jugs from the nearest water source. We both shower daily (navy showers). Where we go we can dump grey water on the ground. Propane lasts 3 weeks or more unless it's really cold and then we bring an extra tank. We are thinking of trying solar but aren't there yet. So far our two batteries and the generators work just fine.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Oh, our tanks are: 50g black, 50g grey x2, 60g fresh if I remember correctly.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Good question!!! We boondock (camp without any facilities) about 80% of the time. We find the limiting factor the black tank which will last the 2 of us 2 to 3 weeks. We use 2 Honda eu2000i generators and run the a/c whenever we need it and recharge the batteries daily ( takes 2 to 3 hours). We use about 90 gallons a week of fresh water which we replenish using 6 six gallon jugs from the nearest water source. We both shower daily (navy showers). Where we go we can dump grey water on the ground. Propane lasts 3 weeks or more unless it's really cold and then we bring an extra tank. We are thinking of trying solar but aren't there yet. So far our two batteries and the generators work just fine.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Oh, our tanks are: 50g black, 50g grey x2, 60g fresh if I remember correctly.
Hi, I do the same. Wondering how you charge your batteries, with a separate charger directly connected to the battery or do you use the camper charger. I've found a separate charger seems to do better for the last few amps.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Hi, I do the same. Wondering how you charge your batteries, with a separate charger directly connected to the battery or do you use the camper charger. I've found a separate charger seems to do better for the last few amps.
We just use the camper charger. We have the cord to direct charge from the generator but have never used it. Too lazy I guess. I hadn't really thought of bringing a separate charger. The DW can't miss her TV programs at night so we usually have ample charging time. We use the Dish Tailgater.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We just use the camper charger. We have the cord to direct charge from the generator but have never used it. Too lazy I guess. I hadn't really thought of bringing a separate charger. The DW can't miss her TV programs at night so we usually have ample charging time. We use the Dish Tailgater.
Nice I want one of those. My brother-in-law has one and loves it