Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #21

You can plan on using about 5 gal. of water per person per day and remember, most of that water will go into your holding tanks. That should give you an idea for those capacities. If you have a generator to recharge your batteries it doesn't really matter what kind they are unless you are restricted on the use of the generator and/or are bothered by the noise. I have tow standard 12v dc batteries and have no problems getting through the nite running my furnace. I have never drained them to half charge. I do not have an inverter yet. I run my gen when using the microwave or coffee pot. If you have a generator your biggest problem will be water in and water out. I carry 2ea 6 gal water jugs and a rolling hand cart for transporting them. You can save on gray water space by pouring dishwater into the black tank but at some point you will have to empty something somewhere. Good Luck!
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #22
Webfoot

I carry a jump starter battery with a built in inverter similar to this one. When it's raining and we want to throw a movie on the TV I just plug the TV straight into this. It's also got a cigarette lighter outlet for charging phones and ipods and I don't have to worry about any draw on the trailer batteries.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #23

I've got a "big" inverter, but most of the time, it's must doing "small" things. I did just what was suggested a few posts ago. I ran Romex from the inverter (it's in the nose compartment, as close to the batteries as I could get it), and installed a 120v outlet on the TT exterior, right next to the shore power connection. I made-up a 2' lead cord, and I plug the TT into itself! (This gets lots of long stares and curious looks.)

As Herk said, I have to remember to switch the fridge to "Gas Only", or it draws tha batteries down. My inverter has an on-off switch mounted inside the living area, so I only turn it on when I need it. I also keep the breaker on the 120v to 12v converter turned off. All of my 12v charge come from my solar array. I installed a bunch of 12v cigarette lighter style outlets for charging cameras, phones, and anything that will run that way.

My batteries are twin 6v golf cart batteries (Sam's Club), and they are charged with the 300w of solar, but until I break down and buy another pair of batteries, I still need to start the 2400W Yamaha microwave for more than a couple of minutes. Since Margaretta's are usually a late in the afternoon or evening (low sun) thing, I sometimes start the generator to run the Margaritta maker, as well, so that I have 12v throughout the night, and it begins to recharge wen the son comes up. Regardless of how much sun or battery, I can't run the A/C without 30A shore power or the generator.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #24

JoeyO I have read all the posts from others and they have given you some good advice and some that I don't agree with, you can pick & choose what works for you.
Now what I do when boomdocking, there are only two adults camping.
First elect. I have 3 deep cycle batt.s and they will run the furance for two nights with out a recharge if we conserve on lights. I always run the frig. on propane I switch it to propane don't leave it on auto. ,remember it won't work on propane with out 12 volt power. I camped for years with one 2000 Honda it will run everthing in my 5th wheel except the A/C. , when using the M W I have to turn anything else off. After camping in very hot weather I bought another 2000 Honda I can connect them together and have 4000 watts which will run the A/C & everthing in the trailer. Still most of the time we use only one 2000 Honda and that just to charge the batt.s watch TV, use computer ETZ.
Second fresh water 35 gal. , gray 35 and black 35 we have made it for 6 nigts before fulling the gray water tank. We only take a bath ever other day and they are what my DW calls spit baths we turn on the water wet our selfs turn off soap and rinse off the soap. We use paper plates & plastic so don't have a lot of dishes to wash. all the wash water goes into the black water tank. We also carry 20 extry gal of water, two 5 gal cans and 10 one gal plastic bottles for drinking. After 6 days we will have about 5-10 gal of water left, if we are going to stay longer we have to make a run out in tow truck for more fresh water and to dump our 15 gal portable gray water tank. We usely only boomdock for 2 to 4 days.
The 2000 Hondas work great for us they are easy to carry and both fit in the tool box on our tow truck. We carry 2 5 gal. cans of gas for the gens. and 1 5 gal of diesel for our truck. They are locked in the bed of our truck.
I know that with 2 aduts and 4 children and a dog you will use much more water & fill the tanks up quicker than we do, but with a little planing and a portable gray water tank you should make it just find. May you and your family have many happy camping trips.
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #25

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Joe,

Your next biggest issue while boondocking after fresh water and dirty water management is power.

I was a bit knocked back when you said you were going to put in a couple of "decent" batteries, "but not Trojans."

The Trojans are expensive and can be hard to find. There is only one dealer in my area. This dealer also sell the much less expensive Rayovac golf cart batteries. He claims that they last just as well.
SLIGC110 215 AH SLIGC115 230 AH
SLIGC125 235 AH SLIGC145 255 AH

Does anybody know anything about them?
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote