Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Yellowstone in September

I have a 24' Freelander Class C. The fresh water tank is 55 gals and there are no hookups in the campground we are staying at in the park. During the day's the weather can get up to 60+ degrees but fall into the high 20's at night. Do I need to worry about the water tanks freezing? I figure I can use anti-freeze in the black and grey tanks, but what about the fresh water tank?
Mark_Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

We have found that the RV holds a good bit of heat during the night and helps keep underfloor tanks from freezing. The problem area could be the dump valve and pipes leading to it that are full and therefore have no expansion possible for the fluids inside except bursting the pipe or valve. In previous rigs we had heater tubes leading to the valve area so we could start heating it as soon as I got out of bed. On our Lexington I plan to enclose those valve areas and put in heater pads. That's all I have thought of so far.
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

I’m not familiar with the Freelanders but according to the current brochure the unit has heated holding tanks. I don’t know how they are heated but it’s either by way of tank pads (you would have an on/off switch) or ambient heat from the furnace. If you don’t know, then I would definitely use the RV’s furnace to heat the unit during freezing temperatures and you should be fine.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

Average minimum temperature in Yellowstone in Sep is 37F? I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Average minimum temperature in Yellowstone in Sep is 37F? I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I wouldn't completely count on that in Wyoming but still don't think you will have anything to worry about if it drops into the 20s it doesn't stay that cold long enough to have to worry about something freezing.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:31 AM   #6

yea, I don't really know, I looked up the average historical temps according to the Yellowstone Park historical data as 20 F seemed low for Sep.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #7

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just returned from a trip to Ely, NV. The night temps dropped to 21 degrees. I stayed at the KOA campground for one night. I kept the unit heated to about 56 degrees inside. The hose going into the RV froze about 9:00 at night, I went outside and disconnected it, and used the fresh water tank. It seemed to do ok but the next morning the black and grey dump tanks were frozen shut. I used the tank heaters. Thinking I should put anti-freeze in the tanks (except fresh) or use bottled water to wipe the dirt off... Any other ideas?
Mark_Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Harrington View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just returned from a trip to Ely, NV. The night temps dropped to 21 degrees. I stayed at the KOA campground for one night. I kept the unit heated to about 56 degrees inside. The hose going into the RV froze about 9:00 at night, I went outside and disconnected it, and used the fresh water tank. It seemed to do ok but the next morning the black and grey dump tanks were frozen shut. I used the tank heaters. Thinking I should put anti-freeze in the tanks (except fresh) or use bottled water to wipe the dirt off... Any other ideas?
Give someone a $20 to let you pull it into their shop for an hour or two to thaw out. That's a time honored method around these parts. It's amazing how much better everything works once thawed out (wipers, doors, windows, ....).

Likely candidates would be any truck shop or any service station or Midas, Firestone, Goodyear, Sears, etc. that has a large enough overhead door. Watch that A/C and antenna!

While it's in there, throw a trouble light under the valves. Just be sure not to melt any platic-like components in the lines or in the compartment. A hair dryer would be wonderful if you have one on hand.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Harrington View Post

Leave the water run in your sink just a trickle . It works my supply did not freeze and it got down to 20. A little freeze in each tank helps.
Klb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klb3 View Post
Leave the water run in your sink just a trickle . It works my supply did not freeze and it got down to 20. A little freeze in each tank helps.
This is what I'd do also if you have sewer. Keep sewer open and it won't freeze as long as water is moving. Shut off water heater and run the hot water.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

I live a little north of Wyo700 about halfway between him and Yellowstone. I still camp September-October (hunting season). Temperatures drop that low, but don't usually stay down yet. If hookups are available I only hookup water to fill the fresh tank. Hoses freeze and can damage where it hooks to your rig and the valve at the hose bib. I turn on tank heaters. I do put some antifreeze in the grey and black tanks about mid September. Had one grey valve freeze once but I had forgot to knock some slush off it when I parked. I might even open the cabinet doors while I sleep or while I'm out for the day. Heat set low while I'm gone. To keep the inside pipes warm. When I run the genny. I use a space heater as well.
Really not much different than normal for me though. We sometimes get snow on Independence Day.
lytlej is offline   Reply With Quote