Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duradiesel View Post
I had the same problem about a year ago . A friend of mine who is an electrician & I traced it down to a bad plug on the cord at the trailer .
Well, according to the dealer, they checked all that type of stuff and found nothing wrong. How hard they actually looked, who knows but FR/Coachmen wouldn't authorize them to start replacing things without knowing exactly where the problem was.

So when I look at the big picture in regards to how many other things have gone sideways besides this, and what has yet to and how much it would cost if they do, I have no confidence whatsoever that this particular trailer won't end up being a much larger money pit than the average RV is.

blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Hey ~~~ I had a 57 Chevy convertible. Now I finally know why it would shut down not that it makes any difference now.
Yeah, would have been nice if there were websites like this back when I had that car and was having the issue. Would have saved a LOT of time and effort for sure.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:24 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
Well my friend you may not be out of the woods yet

I had a friend buy a Jayco, had it back to the dealer
for a shower drain not glued, electrical problem in
the power panel, loose gray water tank, trailer was
in and out of the dealers shop for the 1st 3 months.

I wish you luck, seems to be the norm now no matter
what brand you buy they all need some repair.

That's why I am keeping my 2006 Coachmen till the
wheels fall off, have I had repairs you bet ya. Trailers
are like boats, big holes in the water you throw
money into
W5KAV
This years Camping 75 days
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw5kav View Post
Well my friend you may not be out of the woods yet
Oh, I trust that there will be issues with the new one as well and I can deal with that knowledge or I wouldn't have bought one to begin with.

What I cannot deal with is knowing that that there is an electrical issue with this particular trailer that at some point could turn out to be nothing more than a bad plug and an intermittent nuisance, or turn into something MUCH more serious, very quickly.

I could start replacing the shore power electrical system one piece at a time to isolate and fix the problem at MY cost, or move on and hope that any issues next time won't quite be so severe.

But the truly deciding factor in all of this is that the DW isn't happy and is unable to relax in the trailer until this issue is resolved, one way or the other. So guess who else isn't happy or able to relax!?!?.

Although I just love being able to tell someone "I told you so" when I know there is an issue but no one believes me, I just don't have the inclination or the time and money to start troubleshooting this problem out of warranty. I also am not willing to put my family's safety at risk until I know for a fact that the problem doesn't exist any longer, which could be much longer and way more expensive than just bailing now and hoping for the best.

Guess time will tell, eh?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
Site Team

The RV business is different from the auto business so its somewhat common to have some issues but what you experienced is awful. Hopefully things will be better with the new RV. I have to ask - did you buy it from the same dealer? Some dealers are great in servicing other other dealers just passes the buck.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #16

Actually, tried to buy the new one from the same dealer because up until this point, their service had been great. But long story short, they pulled their offer when I tried to dicker. Guess they took it personally and were having such a banner sales year that they could throw my business away!?!?

Anyway, ended up with a deal that works better for us from another about 60 miles away so maybe it was "meant to be".