Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels View Post
We just got the Clipper 17FQ and the walk around bed was a huge selling point. Not having to crawl over someone in the middle of the night makes the 17FQ set-up nice. We pull it with our V6 Murano, about the size of your Cherokee.

That is what my wife likes The island bed... So far I have the 17FQ and a trailmanor mini 18 on the list. I saw a Casita camper yesterday and it would just be to small for us. But it was nice.
bigjoey38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels View Post
We just got the Clipper 17FQ and the walk around bed was a huge selling point. Not having to crawl over someone in the middle of the night makes the 17FQ set-up nice. We pull it with our V6 Murano, about the size of your Cherokee.
We pick ours up tomorrow.. Had to wait a couple weeks to get one in.. the dealer can't seem to keep them on the lot..

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #43

Boy I am tempted to pull the trigger and buy one, Just don't want to be one of those that is used once a year and the rest of the time sits in the yard...

Thinking>>>>
Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #44

After looking at many trailers over many months and liking the Clipper 17FQ, we got lucky and found a 6 month old used 2015 for a great price and got it a couple of weeks ago. The main points that we needed in the trailer was to fit on our driveway, a bathroom with a sink, and walk around bed. We have not taken it out yet, but will be going on a 3 day shakedown trip in a couple of weeks.

I have to say that overall, specially since this is a lightweight and fairly inexpensive trailer (New dealer price), it is ok. But it is built with cost in mind, and I get that. But workmanship, at least on mine, is somewhat questionable.

Be sure and look under the kitchen cabinets, there should be some small panels that are just held by some screws. One side has the water pump and mine had a nice crinkled hose coming out of the pump were it meets the other water hoses. Then there is also a bunch of wires, and one had a puncture because it was strung across a sharp point on an electrical box. Luckily, it was just the ground wire. I have fixed both problems, and hoping there are no more issues, as I am the second owner and the warranty is only good for the original purchaser.
proride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #45

Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
ZAPME01,

Can you upload pics of your mods? I'd like to see how you placed the second battery and propane tank.

I added a drawer to the galley cabinet go give us a place for utensils.

Attachment 72939
I really like the drawer there. I have not looked in there yet, but it looks like you had enough room. Is there a problem with heat?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #47

There's a surprising amount of wasted space above the furnace. Pretty much wide open behind that blank panel.

Before building the drawer I checked the furnace owners manual for minimum clearance requirements. While the drawer is spaced much farther away than the minimum it does pick up some heat rising off the exterior top of the furnace. So I don't plan on keeping anything highly flammable (matches, etc) in the drawer. I've considered adding a vent panel on the side of the cabinet facing the bed. That way heat that might build up inside the cabinet can escape.

We really like having the drawer there as it provides space for easily accessible items like cooking utensils, silverware, etc. Since the drawer is fairly deep I'm modifying it to have a sliding upper tray for small items.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #48

Thanks Barry. I'm going to check it out, as that drawer is definitely something that my wife would love. I like the side vent option, as it makes sense to vent the area so there isn't as much heat build up like you mentioned.

I also like the drawers in the under-bed-storage area, then I was thinking about one last drawer under the bench closest to the entry door. With those drawers in place, I think it would make the storage even simpler.

Phil
Old 05-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #49

Any camping lately with the 17 FQ? MPG ?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #50

We picked ours up a couple weeks ago.. We are still gathering equipment as this is our first camper.. We hope to ready and out camping the second week in June..

Joe
Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganjoe View Post
We picked ours up a couple weeks ago.. We are still gathering equipment as this is our first camper.. We hope to ready and out camping the second week in June..

Joe
Congrats Joe. We just took ours out for a 3 day adventure in the Mojave Desert in So Cal, this was our first outing with the TT. It was great. I purchased a generator, but really did not need to use it this time. I also have a 80w solar panel that came with the trailer, and that kept the battery topped off pretty well. I also put in the drawer like La Plata View (Barry) did, and that made the day for my wife.

Found that the TT has more storage than I thought, specially for shorter trips. We did add a 3" memory foam mattress topper, and that really made the bed comfortable. So our first experience camping with the TT was great and just what I expected. BTW, we were dry camping.

bigjoey38, looks like around 12 MPG pulling the trailer. We were loaded up including my Honda 450 offroad bike and all my riding gear in the back of the truck ('07 GMC Sierra extra cab, 5.3 V8), plus extra 10 gal water, 5 gallon gas and 80lbs generator. Also, not much flat towing and kept the top speed at 60MPH.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #52

If you put a deposit down and change your mind you got your deposit back
Old 05-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #53

Should have said can you get your deposit back
Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #54

I would think so unless you special ordered it. In WI it's a law, you have I believe 3 days to return an item if you don't like it..my dealer told me if I changed my mind I wouldn't have to take it. Could depend on the dealer too..call them..
jemnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #55

Thanks as I gave the dealer my card number for a deposit and the deposit has not been withdrawn unless they are waiting until I show. Up to see the camper since it's in another state.it's not a 17 FQ but my primary chiice, I am working on getting numbers on the FQ
Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #56

Just an FYI.. We paid $12,500.00 for our 2016 17FQ.. Plus tax and tags.. Nothing else was added on top of that.. Our dealer is selling them as fast as they get them in so not a whole lot of room for negotiation.. We are happy and the dealer seems to be very helpful..

meganjoe
Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #57

Thanks Joe for the info. I am looking at a used 2014 in greAt shape. I just got the call and I was approved so here I have to decided. I was also approved for a trailmanor mini 19rD. Smaller but I like it too....so confused
Old 07-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #58

Changing out Tires on Clipper 17FQ

My husband and I flipped the axel and put 15 inch tires and wheels on our trailer. We absolutely love it. No worries about dragging and it pulls great.
Bizelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizelisa View Post
My husband and I flipped the axel and put 15 inch tires and wheels on our trailer. We absolutely love it. No worries about dragging and it pulls great.
Do you have any pictures? Did you have a shop do the work?

I've been thinking of doing the same because of some of the places I like to take the trailer.

Thanks
Phil
Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #60

We had a shop weld new spring perches on top of the axel it was only 150.00.
We did have to add a double step. I do have photo just unsure how to add.
Bizelisa is offline   Reply With Quote