Old 03-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoey38 View Post
Anyone know when you trade in your TT do they check everything?

I am trying to work on a deal for a 17FQ, while getting my camper ready for possible trade in I notice the toilet is not working. frustrated.
Disregard

Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 PM   #82

Any updates on your 17FQ? Pros/ Cons

Old 04-18-2016, 02:18 AM   #83

16FB or 17FQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
I just picked up a 2016 17FQ yesterday. Price was $10,995 at the RV Expo a couple of weeks ago, total with TT&L came to less than $12K.

Haven't been on a camping trip yet but it's been sitting in my driveway hooked up to power while we add TV and personal touches. I've noticed that it has the same cheap materials as RV's costing tens of thousands more

So far we are loving it but I'm concerned it might be a bit too much for my 2015 JKU to tow.

We have a 2016 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ, which has the same floor plan. Don't know what the dry weight is on yours, but ours is around 2900, and I would think yours would be about the same? I tow it with my 2012 JKU Wrangler, 3.6L V6, with the factory tow package, and it tows like a dream. It's a nice upgrade from the large Starcraft popup we had for 12 years, although we loved that camper too. Just got to be a bit much setting up and tearing down now that we're in our mid- and late-forties. We're finding that we take the TT out more often because of that. Also, as was mentioned earlier, it's nice to not have to do the middle of the night "crawl over" when nature calls.

By the way, we always tow with all tanks empty, since I know we're fairly close to our max tow weight to begin with. We fill the fresh tank when we get to our destination, and dump the grey and black (and any remaining fresh water) before we leave.

Also, we do have a weight distribution hitch and sway control bar (and of course a brake control). I hope you do as well?

My wife and I have found this camper to be perfect for the two of us, as the kids are both older now and don't like to camp (never really did, but we dragged them along kicking and screaming when they were younger).
Old 04-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy969 View Post
We have a 2016 Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ, which has the same floor plan. Don't know what the dry weight is on yours, but ours is around 2900, and I would think yours would be about the same? I tow it with my 2012 JKU Wrangler, 3.6L V6, with the factory tow package, and it tows like a dream. It's a nice upgrade from the large Starcraft popup we had for 12 years, although we loved that camper too. Just got to be a bit much setting up and tearing down now that we're in our mid- and late-forties. We're finding that we take the TT out more often because of that. Also, as was mentioned earlier, it's nice to not have to do the middle of the night "crawl over" when nature calls.

By the way, we always tow with all tanks empty, since I know we're fairly close to our max tow weight to begin with. We fill the fresh tank when we get to our destination, and dump the grey and black (and any remaining fresh water) before we leave.

Also, we do have a weight distribution hitch and sway control bar (and of course a brake control). I hope you do as well?

My wife and I have found this camper to be perfect for the two of us, as the kids are both older now and don't like to camp (never really did, but we dragged them along kicking and screaming when they were younger).
We really do enjoy ours as well, have camped several weekends now and have a few week-long excursions planned over the near future.

Yellow sticker indicates dry weight at 2850 and I always tow with empty tanks.

My JKU is a 2015 with tow package and 3.73 gearing rated for 3500lbs.

I did install a brake controller (P3) and it works very well. The Jeep itself pulls fine around town, but when I get onto the highway and try to maintain 60-65 is when the problem starts. With the slightest grade or headwind it's wanting to downshift to 3rd and scream along at 3500rpm. With a really stiff headwind (15-20mph) and any sort of grade it's wanting to go even lower to 2nd gear and 4500rpm.

That can't be good for extended periods of time. So I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and now it's like it's not even back there and I'm getting 18-19mpg while towing, 26-28 while not.

Still have the Jeep though
Old 04-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #85

Thanks... I am still looking at the 17FQ and also a couple of R-pods..

Hope to decide and change over to one of those in a few weeks.

I have been trying to find more forums for the 17 FQ cant find vs the R-pod which has a Private facebook page- forums and lots of activity.

JH
Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #86

16FB or 17FQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
We really do enjoy ours as well, have camped several weekends now and have a few week-long excursions planned over the near future.

Yellow sticker indicates dry weight at 2850 and I always tow with empty tanks.

My JKU is a 2015 with tow package and 3.73 gearing rated for 3500lbs.

I did install a brake controller (P3) and it works very well. The Jeep itself pulls fine around town, but when I get onto the highway and try to maintain 60-65 is when the problem starts. With the slightest grade or headwind it's wanting to downshift to 3rd and scream along at 3500rpm. With a really stiff headwind (15-20mph) and any sort of grade it's wanting to go even lower to 2nd gear and 4500rpm.

That can't be good for extended periods of time. So I bought a 2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and now it's like it's not even back there and I'm getting 18-19mpg while towing, 26-28 while not.

Still have the Jeep though

My Jeep does fine. For whatever reason, even at highway speeds with a (reasonable) uphill grade and wind, it normally never revs above about 3000. I don't even like it that high, so when it hits that, I back off the speed a little, and force it to shift back to a higher gear by slapping the shifter the right, if necessary.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #87

Are there any other fourms/ FB page that in regards to the 17FQ?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:48 PM   #88

I found several threads on a site called iRV2.com but haven't seen any sites specific to the Coachmen Clipper / Viking campers. Since I don't do FB - I know, last holdout in the world - can't say if there's anything there.

I suppose if enough members asked maybe the administrators might create a sub forum. I usually just check the Coachmen forum every few days.

2015 Nissan Frontier V6
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstacy969 View Post
My Jeep does fine. For whatever reason, even at highway speeds with a (reasonable) uphill grade and wind, it normally never revs above about 3000. I don't even like it that high, so when it hits that, I back off the speed a little, and force it to shift back to a higher gear by slapping the shifter the right, if necessary.
What gears are you running? Sounds like you might be 4.10?
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #90

We purchased a 2015 coachman Viking 17FQ. We pull it with Nissan Frontier. About 12 miles to the gal. We have gone from a tent, a pop up to the Viking. Love it. Walk around Queen ,nice bathroom, it does have a small table so ,we put it down flat and added cushions to make a sofa. Great and comfy for TV watching or relaxing when the weather is bad. We use wood folding snack trays for mealtime. The only thing I miss are draws in the kitchen area. So I measured and purchased 2',three drawer plastic draw units. Cheap fix and work great. Nice travel trailer for the 2 of us.