Old 01-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

16FB or 17FQ

Hi everybody..

We are looking for our first travel trailer. We kind of narrowed it down to these two. It's just the two of us and are looking to camp in the warmer weather in the winter. We like the storage in the 16FB but like the walk-around bed of the 17FQ.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

We will be towing with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Thanks, Joe in PA

Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

I think you'll love the walk-around bed first time someone needs to use the restroom in the middle of the night .. In the 17BH they'd be the one on the inside! We love ours, for 15 years in the pop up we did "The Crawl Over". Too old for that now.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #3

Joe,

We're very happy with our 17FQ so far. Yes, the walk around bed was probably the main selling point. But we were also impressed with the overall quality, fit, and finish of this line of campers.

While the 16FB does have more overall storage space we've found the 17FQ has plenty for the two of us. Unless you're going to be on the road for weeks at a time I think you'll be fine.

2015 Nissan Frontier V6
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #4

17 FQ definitely has our attention as far as what my wife and I are looking at. Its the his and her side of the bed thing that really sold it. That and the awesome bathroom with vanity and medicine cabinet. Really it came down to this or the Cherokee 16 FQ for us. The determining factor being the vanity is nicer in the Clipper.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #5

Chaz,

We are still looking but the 17FQ is still at the top of the list..

Joe
Old 03-11-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

I didn't see the Cherokee 16 FQ when I was looking on the internet for a new trailer last year. Same basic layout as the 17 FQ with some differences. From the on-line photos it appears the Clipper has a bit more storage space. I do like the rear fold down deck on the 16 FQ although I wonder how much weight I can carry.

2015 Nissan Frontier V6

Colorful Colorado
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

Take a look at the Prime Time Avenger ATI 17QB. I've been looking at this and the Clipper 17FQ (and Viking 17FQ, which is the same as the Clipper) at shows. The Prime Time has visibly better workmanship, and a much more efficient bathroom layout, with hanging storage and outside-accessible storage that the Clipper/Viking does not have. There is also the Cherokee Wolf Pup 16FQ, but I've not seen one yet.

Here's two youtube videos of the Prime Time Avenger ATI 17QB. Here and here.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #8

ATI 17QB vs Viking/Clipper 17FQ

Overall dimension they're the same unit. As to build quality I haven't been in a 17QB unit so I can't verify if it's better or worse than the 17FQs. I would suspect they may be built in the same factory as it wouldn't make economic sense to build these very similar units in two locations.

The different bath arrangements both have pros and cons. The 17QB does gives you more hanging storage and additional outside accessible storage. But I don't like the small sink stand as there's little room even to set down your toothbrush. In the 17FQ the vanity style sink gives you more room for what I consider bath items. And from the pictures the 17FQ has more room in the bath area for maneuvering.

Galley and dinette are pretty much the same, with just some things - refrigerator mainly - moved around. Up front the 17QB lacks the large window on the front of the 17FQs. I've found that window lets in a lot of light to the camper so I consider it a plus.

Another difference I saw in a video for the 17QB is that they leave the under bed storage area open to the front pass-thru storage area. I use the front pass-thru storage for "grimmer" items like lawn chairs, mats, etc. So I prefer having the separation with the under bed area. Again that's personal preference.

2015 Nissan Frontier V6

Colorful Colorado
Old 03-28-2015, 06:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
Joe,

We're very happy with our 17FQ so far. Yes, the walk around bed was probably the main selling point. But we were also impressed with the overall quality, fit, and finish of this line of campers.

While the 16FB does have more overall storage space we've found the 17FQ has plenty for the two of us. Unless you're going to be on the road for weeks at a time I think you'll be fine.
Could you do me a favor and tell me what ball height I need for the 17FQ..

Thanks, Joe
Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
Overall dimension they're the same unit. As to build quality I haven't been in a 17QB unit so I can't verify if it's better or worse than the 17FQs. I would suspect they may be built in the same factory as it wouldn't make economic sense to build these very similar units in two locations.

Another difference I saw in a video for the 17QB is that they leave the under bed storage area open to the front pass-thru storage area. I use the front pass-thru storage for "grimmer" items like lawn chairs, mats, etc. So I prefer having the separation with the under bed area. Again that's personal preference.
Google maps shows the factories are 12 miles apart. Prime Time About Us. I agree on the underbed storage. First thing I would do is put in a separating wall.

Interesting coincidence - you're in La Plata County, CO; I'm in the town of La Plata, MD.