Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #1

17FQ

Just doing a follow up on with owners of the 17FQ ?

How do you like yours? Feedback?

I have a 2016 R-Pod which we really like but I keep thinking I should have gotten the 17FQ for the bed and bath...

Its the wife and I and 13 yr old grandson. I have heard of poeple doing mods on the dinette to make it bigger.
bigjoey38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

We had an R-Pod and after spending 6 weeks in it on a tour out west we got rid of it as soon as we got home. The boss and I have been very pleased with the 17FQ since it is just the two of us and a fur face, there is plenty of room and the fact we can get in and out of bed without climbing over one another is a big plus. We have added a drawer over the furnace and fixed slide outs under the bed and dining seats to make it easier to access the storage but I do not see how the dining area could be increased in size very easily.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-N View Post
We had an R-Pod and after spending 6 weeks in it on a tour out west we got rid of it as soon as we got home. The boss and I have been very pleased with the 17FQ since it is just the two of us and a fur face, there is plenty of room and the fact we can get in and out of bed without climbing over one another is a big plus. We have added a drawer over the furnace and fixed slide outs under the bed and dining seats to make it easier to access the storage but I do not see how the dining area could be increased in size very easily.
Thanks! also loooking at the R-pod 180
Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

I picked up a 17FQ last March after looking at the R-Pods and many others. Did so primarily based on the bed and bath layout but the combination of light weight, compact size, relatively large tanks for it's class, and lowest cost in the category were also factors.

Two adults and one 11 year old who so far is quite content with the dinette turned into a bed. We logged 40 nights in it last year and have another 20 reserved thru June so far for this year.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

I also like the 17 FB.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

With just the two of us it's perfect sized. The dinette bunk is too short for an adult or teenager but could sleep smaller children. Another thing that steered me to the 17FQ was the ceiling height. I'm 6' tall and would bump my head on other campers we looked at before buying this one.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

We love our 17FQ! The bed and Bath sold it for my wife. For the two of us, it's perfect.

Last year we were camping next to friends camping in a tent, and one rainy night, we cooked and had dinner in our TT. We managed, but it was really tight for 4 people hanging out in it.
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #8

We bought a 17FQ back in Sep. Out in it 3 times, so far, so good. Haven't camped in almost 40 years, but still great! Still working out a few bugs, but not bad at all.
djrjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
17fq

we bought a 17fq last sept only got to use it 2 times but we really like it just wife and me and a 90 lb boxer we spend most of the time outside but if it rains we do fine inside as long as we let the spoiled boxer sit at the dinette so she can look out of the window and keep guard. we traded a popup and now we have all kinds of storage space don't have to get on our knees to get to stuff we need that got to be a problem for 72 year olds. we have thought we should have gotten the bh instead of the fq so we could take a grand child but we are happy Our oldest grand chiled is to long for the dinette so that is something to think about.
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 AM   #10

We purchased ours after trading in our 35' fifth wheel trailer with triple slides. We were done towing around an aircraft carrier size unit. Out Toyota Tacoma has a tow rating of 6,500 pounds so this unit is great. We just wanted a walk around queen bed and a good size bathroom. I traded out the standard shower curtain rod with a Stromberg Carlson Extend-A-Shower rod which gives a lot more room in the shower. I added a Camco flip up counter right under the TV antenna hookup which holds our 24" HD TV and the DVD player. I purchased a solar kit from Harbor Freight but haven't had a chance to work it up yet. It will be a portable unit and not mounted permanently. The only problem we had was the shower lacked a bead of silicon around the bottom of the shower where the wall meets the pan. The water ran right through all away around and out on the floor. I took care of that. Still very happy with this unit.
clearn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
cdog7201

Talking 17fq

I mounted articulating TV mount to the left of the TV switch and now I can put a 24 '' tv up there I take it down when traveling. I also found plastic shavings in the water filter on the water pump while winterizing. Then I found that the front cabinets wall was not stapled to the frame so I had to fix that . I haven't used the shower yet so I better check to see that it is sealed if not ill seal it . But so far every thing works as it is supposed to looking forward to going soon if the weather stays warm .I put screens on the outside fridge vents to keep out critters . wish I could figure out how to increase the size of the dinette with out blocking the walkway.my wife wants a drawer under the sink. she says our trailer is the only one she has seen without a drawer. I saw where some one did that but who needs it right .
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #12

That shower problem that had leaked the water was splashed on the walls actually drained behind the shower walls at the base. That's where the bead of silicone needs to go. Just enough room back there to channel it all the way around to the front right corner then right over the edge to the floor. It was a substantial amount of water. Enough to soak the bathroom shower rug.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearn4 View Post
That shower problem that had leaked the water was splashed on the walls actually drained behind the shower walls at the base. That's where the bead of silicone needs to go. Just enough room back there to channel it all the way around to the front right corner then right over the edge to the floor. It was a substantial amount of water. Enough to soak the bathroom shower rug.
The problem with sealing the bottom of the shower walls, is that if moisture does get back there, it can't drain out. My problem is that the shower base does not sit level, so the water that runs down the wall onto the ledge of the base, goes out on the floor instead of in the floor pan. Something I have to figure out a solution this Spring, but I wouldn't recommend sealing the walls to the floor pan.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #14

Thank you. Good point. I'm going to rethink this problem.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
cdog7201

I guess I am going to have to check it out and see if mine is level .I remember looking at that area before buying and thought the floor pan and the walls don't have any sealant around them and then I thought to myself I guess they know what they were doing now I know they knew what they were doing uh let the dealer take care of it .But it didn't happen so you get to fix it ritee.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #16

Haven't even had ours a year yet and we've already logged 75 nights in it.

Still loving it, only a couple of issues so far. First the freshwater check valve on the pump leaked so the freshwater tank was filling up while on city water. Cycled the pump a few times and started using a pressure reducer and that seems to have cured it.

I did notice while looking in the side mirror during a recent trip on the highway at 62mph the driver's side front siding was bowing out near the front of the trailer and would flatten back down when I slowed down. Pulled over and sure enough the siding staples had pulled out. I read where low pressure is created at speed in that front quadrant area which causes a lot of force on the siding, causing it to want to lift away from the frame.

I went ahead and drove a couple of metal roofing screws with caulk into that area to secure it and painted the heads the same glossy white as the siding. I suppose one of these days I'll figure out a use for those two screws so they don't look like they were just driven into the siding but it definitely works better than the staples to keep the siding flat at speed.

We've looked at larger and more expensive trailers since but so far this one has everything they do, it's just not as long and it's perfect for two of us with a small kid.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #17
cdog7201

now that I think of it when going down the road at 60mph I hear a thud like a bird hit the trailer but that is not what the noise was I think it is the wind coming off of my Jeep liberty hitting the front of the tt.Maybe I better check to see that my siding is stapled down good also. I have stopped a couple of times when this happened but have found nothing so far.hope to use this TT more this year. we really like it so far.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #18

You might be surprised if you watch it in your side mirror. Under 30mph, mine was perfectly flat but at 60mph it was bowing out a good inch or two.

The only thing I'd change is I wish it was a hard side instead of the thin aluminum siding which dings pretty easily. I've already got a couple of rock dents on the front just from small gravel kicking up.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearn4 View Post
I traded out the standard shower curtain rod with a Stromberg Carlson Extend-A-Shower rod which gives a lot more room in the shower.
The Shower Rod looks like it would give a lot more room in the shower, but with the top kicking out like that, how do you keep the bottom of your shower curtain in the floor pan?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #20
cdog7201

Austaintatious The good thing about aluminum is it wont delaminate. I had this happen on a fiberglass trailer once. But then again dings are not pretty. But we don't live in a perfect world I guess . come on spring I want to go camping.