Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #1

2011 28dds

So I've had this great unit for the past two seasons with minimal issues. One thing that is quite baffling to me is that when I fill the water tank, upon completion, the overflow tube starts emptying until I am at 3/4 full. Its a clear tube close to the fill. Its happened every time. I asked the dealer and they just say that's the way it is....perhaps some type of pressure issue? has anyone had this issue? Do you think putting something on the overflow to stop the outflow would be adviseable? Thanks for any help.
BigSkyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

We have a 2012 28dds and have the same thing occurring. I'm wondering if it is somehow creating a vacuum. We camped this past weekend, prior to setting up we filled with water and as usual it began running out the overflow tube. I proceeded to drive in to the campground and back into our site, the entire time water was running out. I then reached underneath and plugged the end of the tube with my finger for a few seconds and the water stopped. I'll try this again in a couple of weeks on our next trip but I'll do it immediately instead of wasting several gallons of water.
kj4278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #3

Thanks. That's good advice. Since i have it parked at the house right now, I may just fill it up and give it a try. Probably a vacuum issue. There is a small vent right at the connection, but guess that doesn't work well enough. Thanks very much for your input. I'll post after I try the above and let you know if it works.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #4

Now that you mention it....ours leaks a lot as well. I am the second owner of the 28dds and the Previous owner siliconed the vent at the fank fill closed for some unknown reason. Is it possible this is why? By the way-I removed the silicone and returned the vent to the orginal state.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. So, if i understand correctly, you didn't have leakage until AFTER you removed the silicone at the fill?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #6

I removed the silicone prior to ever filling the tank.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #7

OK, thanks. I'm going to play around with it and see what may or may not work. I'll let everyone know what happens
Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

BigSkyRich- I Would be intrested in what you find...please let us know!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

So I went by the dealer I purchased my unit from. Talked with one of the service techs. he was well aware of the problem. Apparently at the factory, they decided not to connect that vent by the input to the tank, thus forcing the overflow to release pressure, and water. He had created a fix, but I couldn't really understand what he did, plus he didn't have the part that he used to correct. He did suggest that i attach a fitting to the overflow tube that has the ability to scre on one of those plastic bolts (like you see on your drain hose). He said that once you fill and the water starts coming out, you can scre in the plastic bolt. Probably the same principle as stopping the flow with your finger. He does NOT suggest you close it prior to filling since it will cause back pressure and damage the tank.

If anyone wants to see a picture of what I bought, send me an e-mail (rich@turnervr.com) and I'll send it to you...not sure how to attach a file to this message