Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #1

2012 28dds ipod dock connector

So is there anyone form Coachmen on here??
I have tried contacting my dealer and really did not get an answer according to the brochure there is an IPOD dock connector and lots of research and contacting ASA directly it has been confirmed that the stereo in my unit is not capable of an ipod dock connection. It does have a aux input that i could use off the headphone jack but that is not what i would consider a dock connection. I tried contacting coachman service through the email on the web and got told it was not a coachmen problem but to contact ASA. To me this is a coachmen problem since they advertise a ipod (specifically) connection in the brochure
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Undoubtedly there version of an I-pod compatible radio is the 3.5 mm jack.

Companies must buy proprietary rights from apple to be "I-pod ready". Via a docking system.
They also must have the hardware/software to be able to recognize an I-pod.
My unit has a usb port that "plays" mp3's
But undoubtedly does not recognize an I-pod.
We use the 3.5 mm jack and get by just fine.
They basically said your unit is I-pod ready lol just not how it would be normally.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks but after contacting ASA my unit has same model as the iPod unit mine just does not have cable on back. So Ian wondering if my unit just got the wrong head unit installed at factory. It supposedly is the same unit they use in the other Catalina unit
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

I am confused - are you just missing the cable that plugs into your ipod, or did you try to plug that cable into the head unit in your trailer and there is no plug for it?

I am assuming they use a proprietary cable that is unit specific to the head unit. Which begs the question on if accepts the older ipods or newer....

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #5

Neither. The USB does not work for iPod and talking with ASA who makes head unit there are 2 versions of same model one that allows iPod connection and control and one that does not. The way to tell is by removing unit and checking for a 8 pin connection on back then if you have that u need a special cable. My unit does not have that 8 pin connector
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

OK - so your unit truly is not capable, but the brochure specifically says "ipod dock"?

When we were looking we found several times that the brochure, or more likely the large carboard dealer promotional signs in a trailer did not match the features. For example, one stated "upgraded Serta perfect sleeper" when it had a generic no name bed. Many had the advertised touchscreen stereo replaced with non-touch units and no remote.

We were told frequently that the manufacturer does not guarantee either the brochure or promotional material for accuracy. In some cases they have a problem with the unit or device (the touchscreens were apparently all crap) or they simply make a change mid-way through production. And then most dealers order units "their way" which don't match anything.

So while I encourage you to raise all h-e-double hockey sticks with the dealer, I will be shocked if you get any resolution. Which sucks.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote