Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

2012 Catalina Deluxe Edition TV Installation

I don't know how many of you 2012 Catalina Deluxe owners have tackled TV installations in your trailers, but I had a few concerns when I bought a new 28DDS last week:

-The space for a 32" TV is great, but a larger TV is usually a heavier TV and therefore requires a sturdier mount.

-The selection of TV mounts at many RV dealers in my area does not offer many suitable mounts for a TV that large.

-The selection of residential TV mounts did not really accommodate a TV that will be subject to bouncing during travel.

I ended up buying a Sanus F55 mount at Wal-Mart (where else would you go?) due to it having many mounting options.

The cabinet opening is approx. 35" wide x 25" high. There is a piece of 3/4" thick plywood behind the plastic cabinet back. I attached the wall bracket with eight #14 x 3/4" sheet metal screws. My thinking was to spread the weight of the TV out over as many anchors as possible. I drilled pilot holes and used tape to mark the drill bit at 1/2" deep to prevent drilling too deep.

This mounting kit does have a drawback in that the TV may shift side to side during travel, so I intend to take the TV off the wall and stow it away for travel. I find this to be a safer option for the TV and will certainly make for less wear and tear on the wall anchors.

I attached a couple of pictures of the finished product (TV is a Vizio E320VP LED).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00196-20120221-1801.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	10528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00199-20120221-1917.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	10529  
mtusrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Here is a better picture of the finished project.

I hate camera phones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00036.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	10530  
mtusrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

I too share your problem. I have a 2010 Catalina 27 BHS. In mine, I could only put a 26 LCD. The mounts out there suck and are not suitable. I was worried that the tv would fall out too, but it has not. I would not pull the tv everytime you travel. too much work. What I did was I got a 10 foot velcro strap and wrapped it tightly around the whole entertainment system and around the tv. This will keep your mind at ease.
lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

I three am in the same situation. Working to install 2ea 32" Samsung units - Bedroom and Living Rm. There is only a single stud behind the 5/8" plywood wall. I am also struggling with how to properly stabilize or re-enforce the wall.
I don't want to open the walls to add a support so I'm looking to "Gorilla Grip" and screw additional support top to bottom on top of the internal wall stud, then screw a mount to that support.
The website "TV for My RV" (use Google) has a video with a wide assortment of various mounts that might work for you.
I like the idea of the 10 foot Velcro strap for securing a swivel mounted TV. I'll keep that in mind if I go that route.
Good luck to us.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Nice set up. I haven't got around to put in a mount yet but that is coming up very shortly. We are planning on taking her out next week. I however have to fix the audio center. The DVD player isn't playing DVD's or CD's. I think somone at the dealership left the travel screw still in there and didn't take it out. They showed us at the dealership that it worked but then again it was only the radio at the time. So I haven't taken it back this is why I'm fixing it. But when I do get the mount ready I'll be sure to put up some pictures!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #6

Stitcher, how did you access the audio center? I have several questions about this setup. Does all audio and video connect to the RF in connection for the TVs? My 31RLS has 3 TV mounting cutouts so I was trying to noodle the block diagram out and wound up with more questions than answers. How did you access the audio system?
I am shopping for TV mounts and have decided to go with something that tilts about 15 degrees and swivels about the same. I don't feel the construction would take a lot of extra weight bouncing along the road. The TV's I will be mounting will be 32". The full motion mount I first purchased weighted in at 30 lbs... way too heavy in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #7

The audio center just has a bezel around the outside that should come off. This gives access to the screws holding it in place. If I get a chance I'll get pictures and show how it comes out.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #8

Finally got a pic of our 32" mounted in our Catalina 271BHS, lovin it!

ChiefGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

That looks GREAT! I'm still trying to figure out how to install a mount. In my 31RLS, the dinette is part of the LR slide so the TV area is not visible until the slide is extended, and behind the TV area is the bathroom with the shower/tub along the wall behind the TV. There just doesn't seem to be any support that would hold the weight of a tv and mount.
Any suggestions?

Chuck & Helen Roberts
2012 Coachman Catalina Deluxe 31RLS
2008 F250 Super Duty Crew
Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster
That looks GREAT! I'm still trying to figure out how to install a mount. In my 31RLS, the dinette is part of the LR slide so the TV area is not visible until the slide is extended, and behind the TV area is the bathroom with the shower/tub along the wall behind the TV. There just doesn't seem to be any support that would hold the weight of a tv and mount.
Any suggestions?

Chuck & Helen Roberts
2012 Coachman Catalina Deluxe 31RLS
2008 F250 Super Duty Crew
Just find the studs in the TV area and mount your bracket to them!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #11

What TV Mount Did You Use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGeek View Post
Finally got a pic of our 32" mounted in our Catalina 271BHS, lovin it!

That looks great! What mount did you use? I would like to do the same with my Catalina 222FB.

Thanks,

CaptSkip
CaptSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

This looks great! What mount did you use? I would like to do the same with my Catalina 222FB.

Thanks,

Skip Gilbert
CaptSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #13

You won't believe it, $10 mount from Walmart, here's the link:
Simple Fixed 25" to 37" Flat Panel TV Wall Mount - Walmart.com

Worked out well, because it was very low profile. Allows the TV to slide left to right, but when you get the TV hung on it, and tighten it in the back (somewhat difficult with the limited space), it's snug, and again, low profile. I mounted a low profile TV from Walmart on it, here's the link to it.
32" Sceptre LED-LCD HDTV, 720p 60Hz HDTV, E325BV-HD - Walmart.com
Really really nice set for the price. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and I'm so sorry for the delay in responding.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #14

I have the exact same situation - i am worried the screws will protrude into the tub surround! Did you find a solution? Many thanks.
mguinane2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguinane2002
I have the exact same situation - i am worried the screws will protrude into the tub surround! Did you find a solution? Many thanks.
The stock mounting lag screws that came with the above bracket did not protrude into the bunk area on our 271BHS. Thank goodness, it's where our girls sleep!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #16

At the 45th Coachman Rally, I was told during a Catalina Seminar, that all Coachmen have a 3/4" block installed in the center of the TV installation area. The block is either 15" or19" square (he couldn't remember so assume 15").

That being the case, I have two Sanus F18b mounts from Walmart that both are low profile and tilt/swivel to eliminate glare. I plan to install them during our next outing using 3/4" or 4" lag bolts. More after the next adventure.

Chuckster
Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #17

I talked with the dealer's service manager - he agreed with the issue. What they do is take a solid wood decorative shelf and mount that across the studs in that area to act as both a spacer and additional support. I did it yesterday and it worked perfectly. I used a dark colored 24X9 shelf board with 6 #14 X 1 3/4 wood lags to attach it to the studs. Then used the standard lags that came with mount to go thru this spacer for the tv mounting plate. In fact with the rather thin TV and low profile mount it made it come perfectly flush with the face of the entertainment area.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #18

I'm slightly confused. The unit had the block installed AND you added another block (shelf) behind the TV on the wall so two blocks were used in your installation? Or, did I simply misuderstand what you wrote?

Chuckster
Old 07-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #19

well based on my stud finder and just feeling thru the thin particle board surface - there is definately no wood block in this unit in any of the 3 tv areas. there is a center stud and two other studs located non-uniformly behind the thin panel. To ensure a solid mount i used the shelf method.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #20

Ok, thanks for the update. My stud finder, I can't find any studs. They appear to be small, thin and stapled into position so nothing registers on my finder.

I guess I need to think about shopping for a shelf board.

Thanx again

Chuckster