Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

2012 Freedom Express 292BHDS Black Tank Wont Close

Purchased used 2012 Freedom Express 292BHDS and the black tank drain valve was very hard to pull when I got it. After the second or third time opening it, it will not close. I can't even get it to budge, even rapping on it with a hammer, it's as if it jammed.

Is this common on these gate valves?

Looks like the previous owner may have had an issue with it, because he put an additional gate valve downstream from the main one (I didn't understand why at the time...guess now I do) where the black and gray come together...so at least I'm not driving around with just a cap keeping the muck at bay.

I've tried using the tank flush thinking something was jammed in there and may that would dislodge...but I don't seem to have any flow issues.

The real pain seems to be that the valve may be hard to get to. The pull lever looks like it's an extension and the real valve is hidden up under the underside cover.

Suggestions???

Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidial View Post
Purchased used 2012 Freedom Express 292BHDS and the black tank drain valve was very hard to pull when I got it. After the second or third time opening it, it will not close. I can't even get it to budge, even rapping on it with a hammer, it's as if it jammed.

Is this common on these gate valves?

Looks like the previous owner may have had an issue with it, because he put an additional gate valve downstream from the main one (I didn't understand why at the time...guess now I do) where the black and gray come together...so at least I'm not driving around with just a cap keeping the muck at bay.

I've tried using the tank flush thinking something was jammed in there and may that would dislodge...but I don't seem to have any flow issues.

The real pain seems to be that the valve may be hard to get to. The pull lever looks like it's an extension and the real valve is hidden up under the underside cover.

Suggestions???
Leave it open and use the one the previous owner installed.
Problem solved!

Turbs

Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Leave it open and use the one the previous owner installed.
Problem solved!

Turbs
Well....yeah, that's what I've been doing.

Just you can't really flush JUST the grey that way...you always get a 'free' black tank dump !!!!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidial View Post
Well....yeah, that's what I've been doing.

Just you can't really flush JUST the grey that way...you always get a 'free' black tank dump !!!!
I see.
Well other then pulling down the underbelly they are really not that hard to change.
Four bolts.
Be careful when installing new one not to displace the orings.

Turbs

Tags
2012, 292bhds, black, black tank, freedom express, tank