Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portage, IN
Posts: 2
2012 Freedom Express 292BHDS Black Tank Wont Close

Purchased used 2012 Freedom Express 292BHDS and the black tank drain valve was very hard to pull when I got it. After the second or third time opening it, it will not close. I can't even get it to budge, even rapping on it with a hammer, it's as if it jammed.

Is this common on these gate valves?

Looks like the previous owner may have had an issue with it, because he put an additional gate valve downstream from the main one (I didn't understand why at the time...guess now I do) where the black and gray come together...so at least I'm not driving around with just a cap keeping the muck at bay.

I've tried using the tank flush thinking something was jammed in there and may that would dislodge...but I don't seem to have any flow issues.

The real pain seems to be that the valve may be hard to get to. The pull lever looks like it's an extension and the real valve is hidden up under the underside cover.

Suggestions???
__________________

__________________
obsidial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidial View Post
Purchased used 2012 Freedom Express 292BHDS and the black tank drain valve was very hard to pull when I got it. After the second or third time opening it, it will not close. I can't even get it to budge, even rapping on it with a hammer, it's as if it jammed.

Is this common on these gate valves?

Looks like the previous owner may have had an issue with it, because he put an additional gate valve downstream from the main one (I didn't understand why at the time...guess now I do) where the black and gray come together...so at least I'm not driving around with just a cap keeping the muck at bay.

I've tried using the tank flush thinking something was jammed in there and may that would dislodge...but I don't seem to have any flow issues.

The real pain seems to be that the valve may be hard to get to. The pull lever looks like it's an extension and the real valve is hidden up under the underside cover.

Suggestions???
Leave it open and use the one the previous owner installed.
Problem solved!

Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portage, IN
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Leave it open and use the one the previous owner installed.
Problem solved!

Turbs
Well....yeah, that's what I've been doing.

Just you can't really flush JUST the grey that way...you always get a 'free' black tank dump !!!!
__________________
obsidial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidial View Post
Well....yeah, that's what I've been doing.

Just you can't really flush JUST the grey that way...you always get a 'free' black tank dump !!!!
I see.
Well other then pulling down the underbelly they are really not that hard to change.
Four bolts.
Be careful when installing new one not to displace the orings.


Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2012, 292bhds, black, black tank, freedom express, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.