Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

2014 320bhds towing/hitch ?

Just got called today and were informed our 2014 320bhds with liberty pkg and 15k ac showed up at dealership today. We are very excited. This is our first TT and we negotiated the WDH with sway control into the deal. I don't know what the brand or model the hitch will be and I will be calling the dealer before we pick it up next weekend to find out. So my question is what is the best hitch for this trailer? Once I find out what hitch they planned on giving me, I may ask about option to pay the difference for an upgraded hitch. Our TV is a 08 Tundra 5.7 with tow pkg and prodigy brake control. I have installed E rated tires already as well. I know there are several members on here who are saying this TV will not work for this trailer but there are many others who say we will be fine. We don't take many long trips, usually between 30 min to 3hrs. And very flat roads here in Iowa. I plan on going with this TV for the first summer and see what happens. I just purchased the truck in Jan of this yr and would consider trading it in for bigger truck if absolutely have to. I bought it right so I may even get more then I paid. Thoughts on the hitch is what I am after that could be used with this TV and also will work with an upgraded TV if needed as I don't want to change hitch and TV if time comes. Sorry so long winded but new to this game and just need to be informed as much as possable. Thanks
Cobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #2

What are all the weights of the TT. Gvwr and tongue weight. That camper being 35 feet long is a lot on the back if a half ton. I also have a tundra but that I pull a 26 foot toy hauler that weighs 6500 loaded and about a 900 pound tongue weight. I use a 1200/12000 pound equi-l-izer with 4 point sway control and it works and pulls great. I am sure the tundra is more than capable power wise. Do you have the 5.7? That engine is a monster and tons of power for being a gas engine.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just my opinion but max tow weight rarely means much as you almost always run out of cargo carrying capacity before anything else.

Look at your tire sticker on your door jamb there should be a payload figure there.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

Cobra,

My dealer sent me down the road with a Reece hitch with 1k round bars and single friction slide bar. I should have punched him in the mouth.

First off, you need at least 1200 pound bars (round or trunnion) does not matter. My hitch weight with propane etc was over 1100 pounds.

Next you need integrated anti-sway. Nothing less. I went with this:
Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66074

Most people will be concerned about your tow vehicle. This trailer is really not 1/2 ton towable.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Jeeplj8, thanks for the info. Based off my research and advice from this forum and called the dealer and asked about upgrading my hitch over what they typically give. I asked for the Reese 66084 which is your exact set up but includes the adjustable shank I believe. They agreed and ordered the hitch yesterday. I will pay them 200 for the difference and leave with exactly the hitch I need instead of being out 600 bucks in a month or so when I realize the hitch they provided is not adequate. I will monitor the TV closely and as I stated if I don't feel comfortable we can upgrade at that point. Thanks for all advise given on hitch. Dealer will be installing so any advice in things to inspect would be helpful with hitch or trailer. Pick up is Saturday.
Cobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

feel free to PM me with any questions you have. it is an awesome trailer.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra93 View Post
I will monitor the TV closely and as I stated if I don't feel comfortable we can upgrade at that point.
I strongly recommend that you go through the effort on getting weighed a couple of times - upon first picking it up and then again once you've loaded it and used it a time or two.

BUT- CONGRATS! Pickup day is sooooo exciting!