Old 09-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

Angry 2014 coachmen 292bhds liberty edition 50th anniversary

I have Issues with the indoor speakers. Blowed 4 already. They are surface mount perfect sound made by Jensen. 15-18 watts at 4 ohms. Stereo/dvd is rated at 25 watts. I have found this information through the stereo manufacturer. Coachmen says they don't have a problem with speakers but they are underated. Does anyone else have this problem. Other than this the travel trailer is great but I want Coachmen to fix my problem. At present time they just want to keep sending me new speakers.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #2

You can go to radio shack and ask if they have any suggestions on how to correct your problem. The ma have a capacitor or something like that to reduce power. I would just upgrade speakers with a better quality and put them in the same external mounts...

Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade guiltner View Post
I have Issues with the indoor speakers. Blowed 4 already. They are surface mount perfect sound made by Jensen. 15-18 watts at 4 ohms. Stereo/dvd is rated at 25 watts. I have found this information through the stereo manufacturer. Coachmen says they don't have a problem with speakers but they are underated. Does anyone else have this problem. Other than this the travel trailer is great but I want Coachmen to fix my problem. At present time they just want to keep sending me new speakers.
Any distortion? How loud are you turning these up?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

Yeah static and then they just go out. Radio goes up to 70 anything over 50 distortion
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Snapper that is a good idea. Just think coachmen should take care of it only had it 6 weeks
Old 09-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

Yes they should replace them, however they will only replace with coachman supplies them. You may have to add your own speaker inside the mounting box if you wan it done correctly..
Old 09-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #7

snapper any idea where I can get 3" 25 watt speakers and replace them myself. rv supply?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

If you are getting distortion you are creating heat which is what fries voice coils. It is quite hard to physically "break" a speaker with excess power, but not so difficult to fry a voice coil with unclean power. With that being said, matching wattage of speakers to wattage of amplification is not a great method of determining what speakers you need. It COULD solve your problem, but it might not. If the higher wattage speakers are less efficient, as in they have a lower SPL rating (this is measured by applying 1W at 1M and measuring the sound pressure level), you could actually end up with less sound even though they can handle more power. The head unit will most likely distort when cranked to high volumes regardless of the speaker attached to it. If you want more volume than the current speakers can handle, my advice would be to find a speaker with a higher RMS rating AND a higher efficiency. A typical 2 way speaker will have an efficiency rating of around 90. If your current speakers have an 88dB rating for example, you could actually replace them with a speaker that has a 91dB rating with the same power rating and get much more volume. So, to make this clear as mud, look for speakers that will handle more power AND that have a high efficiency rating.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #9

I just looked up the specs on that speaker and found that they are rated at 85dB- very low. My advice would be to go to a flush mount 6.5" 2 way and mount them in the ceiling if possible. You'll get MUCH better sound. For example, Best Buy has some Polk 6.5's on sale for about the same price per pair as the ones you currently have. Yet they have a 92dB efficiency, meaning more sound at lower volume, plus can handle 60W RMS. Here is a link:

Polk Audio 612" Coaxial Vehicle Speakers with Bilaminate PolymerComposite Cones Pair DXI651 - Best Buy
Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #10

Yeah what dustman_stx. Said..!!

Tags
2014, 292bhds, coachmen