Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

2016 Clipper 17FQ No 12 Volt Outlets

We just bought our 2016 Clipper 17FQ a couple of weeks ago and we love it. We have been RVing for over 10 years and have owned several different travel trailers and still have our Class A motorhome.

The first thing I noticed about the new Clipper 17QB is that it did not have any 12 volt outlets? We usually stay where there are no hookups so we live on 12 volt to charge our telephones, PC's and play the TV. The first thing I done was install two double line connectors just like the Zamp solar port on the side of the trailer. I ran one line straight off the battery using heavy 10 gauge wire to the night stand by the bed so we could run a small inverter. I ran the second 12 volt Zamp port from the converter power box out of the cabinet for TV and counter top usage.

(Note the Zamp solar ports are installed backward to most 12 volt connectors. It is an easy fix, just unscrew the port, pull the port out and reverse the wires.)

I also purchased a 100 watt flexible solar panel. I plan to use it as a portable panel for awhile. I have already purchased my velcro to mount the panel on my roof later, I am sure I will not like moving it around and hauling it. These flexible panels are light weight (4 pounds) and a lot lighter than the framed solar panels I have used in the past. It does a nice job keeping my battery charged. There is lots of room in front of the AC to mount a couple nice size solar panels.

I will add a second battery very soon. I have not decided if I want to add another LP tank to my clipper at this time. I like the weight lite as I can get it although I am towing with a Tundra.
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #2

hidee ho

Hello and welcome from northern Arizona! Sounds like you've been having fun modifiying your rig! Our Surveyor did not come with 12v outlets either so I installed one with a USB port right next to the power panel. I would like to put one outside as well and might just put one on the side of the battery box. As far as propane tanks go, I recently replace our heavy steel tanks with 2 Viking composite lp tanks, saving 2/3 weight of the steel ones. Plus, you can see at a glance how much propane is in your tank. I found them on sale for $119.00/ea on the Viking web site. They have been around for 60+ years, especially in the marine industry, but I really recommend them if you can afford one. They also hold a gallon or two more propane per tank than a similar sized steel tank.
Anyway, have fun with your rig and Happy Camping!! (great job on your mods by the way!)

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

pt1655,
Thanks for the info, I never knew there was such an LP Tank available. I use to own an Airstream that had aluminum LP Tanks which were light weight.
mtnman
Old 09-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #4

pics

hello mtnman, here is a pic of those Viking tanks. I had a problem attaching them to my previous post. Happy Trails!
Attached Images

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

They sure look good! My wife checked them out and was telling me all the details.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #6

Our 2015 has a cigarette style power outlet mounted near the battery/holding tank monitor. Right next to a push switch to turn on a built in TV amp.

While that would work, I bought a small DC panel with a voltmeter and USB charger outlet. Mounted it at the end of a cabinet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Port.PNG
Views:	168
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	120434

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #7

Barry,
I like your meter with the two USB ports. I need to get some pics of my upgrades and put them on here.
mtnman
Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
Our 2015 has a cigarette style power outlet mounted near the battery/holding tank monitor. Right next to a push switch to turn on a built in TV amp.

While that would work, I bought a small DC panel with a voltmeter and USB charger outlet. Mounted it at the end of a cabinet.

Attachment 120434
Are you planning to add a power switch to that or leave it always drawing power?
WNY_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

I plan to add a switch for two reasons. The USB converter (12v to 5v) as well as the meter itself draws small amount of watts to operate even with nothing plugged into the USB outlet.
Plus, the voltmeter display throws off a surprising amount of light at night. Since I mounted it at the end of the cabinet facing the bed we're bathed in a red light.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, electrical