Old 09-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

2016 Freedom Express 292BHDS TT Winter Camping

Good day. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for winter camping for the Coachman Freedom Express? I will be winter camping in the Southeast Kootenay of British Columbia. Fernie to be exact. I have a few questions.......

1 anyone on here have this model and have used it for winter camping?
2 how winter efficient are these particular units?
3 can the roof support a 230lb man who wants to install the vent covers?
4 is a dehumidifier that crucial? I plan on using the showers at this RV facility.
5 should the skirting be insulated? Will I need to place a heater under the unit?
6 what can I do to seal in the slide out while it’s out?
7 should I support the slide out while it’s out all winter?
8 how can I prevent my holding tanks from freezing up?
9 is it practical to use “heat tape” on the roof to help with the snow load?
10 is there any links or pages I can find any of this info? I have tried to google this particular unit for specs and I am not finding the answers to my questions.

Thanks Y’all

Jason

theStankDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Good luck, that's an ultralight TT and probably has less insulation than a non-ultralight trailer.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Good luck, that's an ultralight TT and probably has less insulation than a non-ultralight trailer.
Hahaha! Appreciate your useless response. This forum is proving to be full of idiots
Old 09-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #4

Perhaps you should go to a forum where you'll get an answer you like, rather than insulting a well-meaning member here.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Perhaps......
Old 09-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStankDad View Post
Good day. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for winter camping for the Coachman Freedom Express? I will be winter camping in the Southeast Kootenay of British Columbia. Fernie to be exact. I have a few questions.......

1 anyone on here have this model and have used it for winter camping?
2 how winter efficient are these particular units?
3 can the roof support a 230lb man who wants to install the vent covers?
4 is a dehumidifier that crucial? I plan on using the showers at this RV facility.
5 should the skirting be insulated? Will I need to place a heater under the unit?
6 what can I do to seal in the slide out while it’s out?
7 should I support the slide out while it’s out all winter?
8 how can I prevent my holding tanks from freezing up?
9 is it practical to use “heat tape” on the roof to help with the snow load?
10 is there any links or pages I can find any of this info? I have tried to google this particular unit for specs and I am not finding the answers to my questions.

Thanks Y’all

Jason
I will try to provide some helpful insight. Been to Fernie ski hill for many years . Often parked just below the RV area and wondered how that would work out with a trl. I have a 2012 292BHDS. I have used it in Nov to deer hunt for past several years. I would recommend to you that you do not attempt to carry water in the onboard tanks or use your holding tanks. Roof is not a problem or using your slide outs as long as you’ don’t have toppers because the snow load will damage the toppers. I carry potable water in water jugs and boil water on stove as needed. Fernie has shower facilities next to the RV park unless that has changed. Humidity will be an issue, I would use a dehumidifier and likely a few space heaters. I had issues when I tried to use my onboard water and tanks, I skirted my trailer with thick poly and also used some foam boards under the tank location and the drain valves. I had to keep a heater going constantly to keep the valves and low point drains etc from freezing. It was so stressful trying to prevent damage to the water systems I would never attempt to use that method again during freezing temperatures.
Insulation is not very good, keep lots of propane and electric heaters and I think it would be manageable for you and likely a lot of fun. If I was living out there I would be right out there as well.
Good luck

Scubanut is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
292bhds, camping, freedom, freedom express, winter