Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #1

2017 Freedom Express 192RBS Fresh water tank?

I didn't receive any comments on the tank question so thought I would try one more time with a more descriptive subject line.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
I have another question about our new camper. I replaced the simple screw in plug for the fresh water drain with a petcock to simplify draining after trips. ( I like to keep a 1/2 tank of so for those times it may be needed on the road.)

It appears the position of the drain plug will not allow complete draining of the tank. The tank is not flat on the bottom, it has an outward curved bottom and in the middle of the tank there is a recessed rectangular indentation, about 4 or 5 inches square and 2 to 3 inches deep. All the other tanks are flat on the bottom.

The drain plug is not located at the lowest point of the tank.

This might be designed this way to provide more capacity. This one is supposed to be 39 gal.

Can someone verify if their fresh water tank on this model is flat or curved bottom? I just want to make sure the tank isn't defective.

A side note, from looking at it, it might benefit from some additional straps for support. Any suggestions as to what to use? Maybe heavy nylon type straps, I thought metal straps would eventually wear on the tank.

Thanks
Ohio192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

Fresh Water Tank Drain

Mind posting a picture of your situation? We have the same rig but a 2016 model (and have loved it our first year). We typically carry less water than you have said you carry, but I will take a look at our tank & compare it to yours.

Thanks.
Last Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #3

Thanks for replying..ill try to attach a pic. It's the only one I have available on this device. It's looking at the tank from the street side.
Thanks again..
Old 09-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
Site Team

We have a 48RBS and have noticed the same thing. I can drain tank until no more water runs out, but after a short drive, more water will come out. I believe it is due to the tank being flexible and supported by cross bars on the bottom that cause the bottom of the tank to have high spots. Not sure there is an easy fix, but I have never had issues other than an extra rinse when sanitizing. If you are really concerned, you can raise one end of the trailer then the other to cause much of the water to flow over the hump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

Doesn't look like the picture came through, I'll try again..
Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

water tank

We just brought our new 192 rbs home from the dealer and yes It has a rounded water tank. Either there all made that way or they are all defected. hope this helps
cleancut39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Thanks for the response cleancut39, it helps to know mine isn't alone. I suspect it is supposed to be that way. I tried uploading a pic twice but even though it appeared to accept the pic it hasn't shown up yet.

I sent a pic to forest River and all I got was a stock reply suggesting I take it to the dealer and have them look at it. All I wanted was a confirmation that the tank was built that way (curved bottom) and wasn't a result of a defect.

We love our camper, just wish it wasn't so hard to get information out of forest river.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio192 View Post
Thanks for the response cleancut39, it helps to know mine isn't alone. I suspect it is supposed to be that way. I tried uploading a pic twice but even though it appeared to accept the pic it hasn't shown up yet.

I sent a pic to forest River and all I got was a stock reply suggesting I take it to the dealer and have them look at it. All I wanted was a confirmation that the tank was built that way (curved bottom) and wasn't a result of a defect.

We love our camper, just wish it wasn't so hard to get information out of forest river.
Just thinking about your verbal description (if a picture comes through that will be a confirmation) we probably share a similar experience. For us, it has not been much of an issue since we travel with minimal fresh water on board - between 6-10 gallons. We end up camping where water is available, so not much dry camping for us - yet.

That said, in another forum I ran across a 192 RBS owner in Ontario, Canada with the screen name "Sound Guy." He has accomplished a number of mods to his rig - including two things to address the very issue you have described. To address the tank sagging, he had his dealer install two steel braces spanning the trailer's frame under the tank to eliminate the sag issue. Further, he also exchanged the existing drain port for his water pump supply line. (This is all from my feeble memory, so apologies for any vagueness in these descriptions!) I would share a link to his pictures, but my bookmark for his site is now broken. At any rate, I think you get the idea.

Hope you enjoy your 192 RBS as much as we have this first year. We only needed a couple's camper, and the floor plan and equipment provided for the money has been perfect for us, and our Ridgeline tows it beautifully. Safe travels!
Old 09-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Happy Keystone Owner

2017 Freedom Express 192RBS Fresh water tank?

Probably looks like thisClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474404745.657885.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	120817Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474404770.692110.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	120818

So I installed one of these in the raised section in the middle. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474404822.215427.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  15.6 KB

The water line to the pump was on the side of the tank and is now on the bottom with the new nipple.

Once you start the hole there's no turning back.

Rvplus.com
BRI-RUS 1/2"barb Selfseal Tank Fitting

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #10

water tank

I just submitted these pics to my dealer and waiting for a response. I will update when they get back to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	123225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	123226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	123227  
Old 10-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #11

This is the reply that I got from the dealership concerning the water tank:
"Louis, In regards to your concerns and pics you sent Bowser (the sale man that sold me the camper). That is a normal set up and display of a Freedom Express. Also, There is a drain if you unscrew that valve in the picture you sent us, it will drain that tank."
Old 10-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #12

That tank looks like mine, concave, except I can't tell from the picture if there is the recessed rectangular area in the center of the tank. Similar to mine the drain plug is located where it will not allow for complete draining of the tank. This would appear to me to present a couple of problems, you would never be able to completely drain old water out and some will remain there during the freezing weather here in Ohio. The remaining water freezing is probably not an issue as long as no water remains in the petcock on my tank?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #13

Nothing to worry about, you'll never get every drop out of any of them. Just leave the petcock open for the winter. Every one we have owned has been the same way and never had an issue. If it really concerns you just dump a couple gallons of pink stuff in there for the winter then do a good flush come spring.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

This works for us. Before leaving the campsite, I fill the black tank as much as possible with the remaining fresh water. Then, after dumping, I open the fresh water drain. The bouncing of the trailer on the way home empties the fresh tank .
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #15

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind for next year...
Old 11-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #16

Some Solutions from another 192 RBS Owner

Ohio,
I've been away for a while, but I thought I'd pass along a link to "Sound Guy's" photo album that allows you to see his solution to a similar problem:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Jodi1ISVItaGFR

Otherwise, hope you are enjoying your rig.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #17

Thanks a lot Last Train.....that's exactly what I wanted to see, his tank before the modification looks exactly like mine does...

This did create another problem though....the wife spotted many more mods she would like... 🙄

Anyhow many thanks again and also to Soundguy for doing such a great job documenting his work.

Putting the cover on for the winter today and we are already looking forward to next spring and our first outing....

Tim
Old 11-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio192 View Post
Thanks a lot Last Train.....that's exactly what I wanted to see, his tank before the modification looks exactly like mine does...

This did create another problem though....the wife spotted many more mods she would like... 🙄

Anyhow many thanks again and also to Soundguy for doing such a great job documenting his work.

Putting the cover on for the winter today and we are already looking forward to next spring and our first outing....

Tim
You're welcome. He sent me a private message over on the Good Sam Forum asking me to pass this along to you.

Re. mods . . . for us it kind of boils down to the utility of the rig for our camping lifestyle (and economics in our world). For instance, I've added a second group 24 battery, mostly silenced the water pump, insulated internal plumbing (under the sinks), wired in an electronics management system from Progressive Industries, installed a ceiling drapery channel to allow for a visual barrier between the living/galley area and sleeping area, my wife bought a new bed spread and pillows and made new curtains and I installed some braces to prop up the lid covering the under bed storage.

A little bit of this was for aesthetic appeal, but most of it was more utilitarian in nature. The bottom line for us is that we have been able to make the 192 RBS into a functional space for all "3" of us (counting the dog), and it works well. Seems like there is always something else to think about, but we have prioritized what we want to do based on how we camp. We usually find full hook-up sites, so we have done very little dry camping. So the issue of the sagging fresh water tank has not - yet - been an issue for us. But, I've had my eye on this subject since you raised it again, and I will look forward to seeing how you resolve it.

Meanwhile, we're heading out again in early December to "Mother Neff State Park" (there's an interesting story behind the name) on the banks of the Leon River in central Texas. We're going then because well . . . we can!

Pic of us on the way home from a recent trip to Bandera in the Texas Hill Country . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	125408  

Tags
freedom express, fresh water, tank, water, water tank