Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 310BHDS

We have been looking for the past year, almost pulled the trigger on a Rockwood in June, but issues with the dealer and life shot that purchase down.

Now we are getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 Freedom Express LE 310BHDS.

Anyone with a similar model have any advice or mods they have completed?

two mods I think we will make

• adding a wine rack in the bathroom to hold towels
  • some carpentry work in the bottom right kitchen cabinet to hide the trash can.

thanks

Babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #2

I have the '15 FR FE310BHDS and we love it. We bought this particular model mainly for the bunk room (g'son's ages 13,12, and 5) and the outside kitchen. I found a YT video on your '19 model and they have done some nice upgrades with the '19 model.

Mod: The grill with the outside kitchen just wasn't me, too small, and it being under the door I was concerned that smoke from the grill may cause a build up. I use a gas grill and Blackstone set up on a folding table for cooking.

Mod:In place of the grill I built a slide out drawer drawer to hold the long grilling tools that will not fit into the drawer under the sink. In the bath I added a 12vDC light over the tub/shower that matches the original light and tied it into the original light.

Mod:I also split the light and exhaust fan and put them on separate switches in place of the one switch. The newer type steps into the camper are nice.

Mod: I swapped out the main entrance steps for the "Glo-Step" type and have not regretted it. The "U" shaped dinette: We don't like it-period. The g'son's could not even get between the table and the outer wall of the slide it was so close to the outer wall.

Mod: I did some numbers and moved the table bases inward 5" and that was all I could move it without the table hitting the fridge and pantry when the slide is in. Seriously considering taking the "U" shaped dinette out and replacing it with two (2) nice recliners as we don't use the dinette much at all. Speaking of pantry,

Mod: The pantry consists on two areas with doors on each and one shelf in each area, just not good for storing boxed foods and canned goods to us. I built and installed on sliding brackets drawers. While making the drawers I figures out how to put 1/2" hardware cloth into the sides and back of each drawer to make them a bit lighter each. After installing we realized that the hardware cloth allows us to see what's in the drawers that are above short peoples eye level.

Mod: My girlfriend does medical transcribing and there were no 120vAC outlets near the couch nor dinette for her laptop and transcribing machine. I put in two (2) 120vAC electrical outlets, one between the window at the dinette and rear wall of the dinette slide and one at a point between the couch and dinette, these also have the USB charger outlets which are really handy.

Mod: I added two (2) wire baskets on the rear wall of the dinette slide using brackets that mounted to the wall and the baskets mount on these. The baskets can be raised or lowered as needed, great for chips and bread. My entertainment center has the TV which rotates so you (not me) can view it while in bed.

Mod: When sitting on the couch the TV was at an odd angle so I added a swivel TV mount. Now we can move the TV so that the screen is at a better viewing angle. On the panel behind the TV which is ugly when the TV is swung around I stained it to closely match the entertainment center and put photos of the g'kids on it.

Mod: I have the shelf below the TV for "stuff" and I wanted to mount my Sat TV Welly there but the shelf wasn't deep enough.

Mod: I added a shelf even with the floor of the original open area below the TV using some rubbery shelving material to hold the Wally in place while traveling-it works.

Mod: Mine did not have the "super nice black-out blinds" in the video, I wish it had them. I mounted wooden curtain rods on the exterior walls and used "light weight black-out drapes". Close them at night, open when we want to, they work great.

Mod:My 31 footer was just too big for one 15K A/C unit Mod: I added a second 15K unit to replace the skylight over the bed. I ran a separate 120vAC circuit via some plastic wire way from the A/C unit to the overhead cabinets, along the top of the inside of the cabinets, down through the small wardrobe and into the front storage area. I placed a 6"x6" electrical box in the storage area to make up wiring and added a 20 amp re settable fuse in this box with the reset button easily accessible, it's never tripped so far. I then placed a "male" type Marinco marine electrical connection in the exterior wall. I use a dedicated 10 ga. 50 foot extension cord to power this A/C unit from the power pedestal's 120vAC outlet.

Mod: In the bunkroom I added a handle to the wall so that one g'son can get up into the top bunk easier. We have a swing out ladder instead of the rock wall thingy's. I don't have the doors under the bunk, that area had a 120vAC outlet and cable connection for a TV. I added the TV (19" ?) in that area on a swivel TV stand. TV reception has never been good anywhere we camp using the antennae on top of the unit so the bunk room TV is mainly for gaming.

If you watch the YT video for the '19 model when the sales lady opens the little wardrobe/storage area in the bunk room you will see a 4" round A/C/heat type register. It's not for A/C nor heat, it's for ventilation the water heater compartment.

Mod: In the bathroom on the video you see a wall mounted shelf with coat hooks. Very similar to the one I made and added to our unit.

Mod: I changed out the shower head to one of the "Oxygenics" type and it is so much better. Mod: The skylight over the tub/shower area allows so much sunlight in that it actually gets too hot in the bath area to take a shower. There is a clear, flat plastic panel on the inside underneath the bubble skylight, I took that and added two layers of "Limousine type" window tint and this had helped tremendously.

Having the outside door for the bathroom has been a great thing camping with the three g'sons. Hmmm, with all the "Mod-ing" I have been doing it's a wonder I have time to use the TT. Good Luck with yours, , ,

Old 12-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

Wow!! Lots of great ideas, most I would not have considered.

Thank you for the detailed response.

Looks like I have a few more mods to complete this winter lol
Babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen, freedom, freedom express