Old 08-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

246RKS

Hi all. We are considering selling our Rockwood 2504s and going a little bigger. One of the final few units under consideration is the 2020 246RKS. I would like to hear any feedback from owners, likes, dislikes, good or bad construction ect. Many thanks in advance. Jay

Old 08-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #2

We have a 279 liberty edition and are very happy with the quality and construction. We've had no problems with the unit after delivery. Which is uncommon but nice. My parents did have your unit and loved it. They didn't have any problems with it either. Only real dislike was the TV location. The trailer was deceptively heavy after fully loaded and ready to roll, so be aware of this and your tow vehicle. Spread axle towed nice. Hope this helps.

FL Clipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #3

Thanks FL Clipster. They all get “heavy” lol. To me the 246 looks a lot bigger inside even though the slide is like 12-14 inches deep. Another Coachman we are considering is the 248RBS. I like the 246 better. Jay
Old 09-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Retired Old Fart

We have a 2015 246RKS. My main complaint is the corner round shower. I'm just not a fan of those at all. Ours also did not have a heat duct in the bathroom. Not sure if the 2020's have that or why ours did not. The furnace is right next to the bath, so it was an easy fix. Other than that, it's like most trailers. There are things the owners want to customize or change out to suit their liking after purchase.

If yours has Marathon tires on it from the factory, negotiate for the dealer to install Endurance as part of the purchase. The marathons are literally like 40 pounds over the total axle capacity of that trailer and if you are a little low on air, the tires are overloaded. That is the main reason people blow out so many marathons, they are just barely (and I mean barely) rated for the max load of the trailer in a perfect world. The Endurance has a much larger margin of safety as it has a higher load rating in the same size as the marathon (and you can go up on the same rims for even more margin of safety).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #5

2019 246rks

I have a 2019 246RKS. I like: the great towability, massive amounts of storage (I probably have only used half), the TV location, the moveable dinette table, the sofa (you'll need an ottoman), the good conversation seating with the dinette and sofa, the overall appearance of the outside and inside, and general coach layout. I also like that it is carpetless - so nice. It has plenty of tinted windows that all slide open and two windows in the kitchen area which are very nice. I do like the dinette on the camp side of the coach. I do a lot of computer work in mine, and having the nice view from the dinette is a plus.

Issues I have had include a buzzing Furion radio (probably a grounding issue - it has been replaced once but same problem), the furnace fan got blocked but was easily fixed, an outlet that was poorly installed but easily fixed and a single screw that poked through one of the nightstands.

What I wish were different or dislike include: the mattress (common complaint for most TTs), the omni-directional is not the greatest and the location of the outside shower - I wish it was on the door side. I don't mind the corner shower, but i did replace the shower head with a 1.75 gpm head - just to help save on gray tank space.

There is plenty of room, even with the shallow slideout, for two people. More than that, I could see it being crowded.

Overall, I really like my 246RKS. I like the looks of the 2020 models with the front windshield, but I'm not sure about the white skin, it may show dirt and black streaks more readily than the slightly tan skin on the previous models. But, that would not stop me from owning one. I think the overall construction was fine. I did add a MaxAir fan in the bathroom but wish I had installed it over the bed.

I was also looking at the 248RBS, but there is very little counter or prep space. My 246RKS did come with the outside pocket grill, which is nice. I also like the rear entry of the 246RKS compared to the 248RBS and its side entry. It seems to provide a more cozy coach and more private, even without a door to the bedroom. I like the location of the bathroom in the 246RKS compared to the 248RBS since it is near the bedroom.

If you like the Coachmen 246RKS layout but want recliners, one model you should check out is the Prime Time Tracer Breeze 24RKS. I know nothing about Prime Time TTs other than they are also a Forest River product.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 246RKS, but I am biased. I paid about $22k for mine (North Carolina) and that is with the MaxAir fan. I wish you well.
jdhoskins3 is offline   Reply With Quote