Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #1

251RBKS - Roof Bubble while in transit - URGENT NEED HELP QUICK!

Hello,

I am writing in regards to my Coachman Catalina 251 RBKS. I noticed today, 600 miles from home, that the roof at the front of the camper creates a bubble when in transit. I can't tell that well how large it is, but in my mirror it looks to be pretty big. I got up on the roof once I reached my destination and found several large ridges of roof material. I also noticed that where the coping curls around the top the ends have come un-gooped. I called CoachNet, and they tried to get me into a couple service centers but not one wanted to take me. They all said they were several weeks out. Needless to say I found one dealer that said he could take a look at it, but wasn't confident he would be able to do anything about it. Further, I spoke with the tech at his dealership and he suggested a take an air compressor around the roof to see if I can find any holes by making it puff up like in transit. I didn't have any luck doing that.

At this point what can I do? Turn around and go home? Continue on my trip?

I am going to call Forest River in the morning, but not expecting too much.

Right now, my thinking is to take some water-proofing Duck tape (HERE: Walmart.com: Duck Water-Proofing Tape: ARCHIVE SHELF/CAT ) and cover the seam between the panel and roof membrane as well as the two spots where the goop has separated.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Chris
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #2

Buy a blue tarp and cover it when you are camping, don't ruin your trip, you will probably need a new rubber roof, but it should be covered under warranty. I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I tried patches, dicor, etc....had mobile guy try to fix and it did not work and spent a couple of days of my vacation trying a temporary fix. This happened on a Dutchmen Tundra, they covered the total repair and out of pocket expenses when I got back from my trip. Good luck
Ft W crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft W crew View Post
Buy a blue tarp and cover it when you are camping, don't ruin your trip, you will probably need a new rubber roof, but it should be covered under warranty. I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I tried patches, dicor, etc....had mobile guy try to fix and it did not work and spent a couple of days of my vacation trying a temporary fix. This happened on a Dutchmen Tundra, they covered the total repair and out of pocket expenses when I got back from my trip. Good luck
Thanks for getting back to me. We were able to find a repair shop in Kearney Nebraska on our layover day. I already forwarded the bill and pictures to Forest River for reimbursement. And have requested a new roof upon the completion of my trip. We're now in Casper Wyoming for the night before heading to Yellowstone in the morning.

Everything worked out, just disappointed in our Brand new camper needing repair already.

Anyway. Thanks for the advice!
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote