Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

292BHDS Issues?

We have a one month old Freedom Express 292BHDS currently in the shop getting:
- new leaf springs, the 1750# springs were completely flat after first trip, being replaced unfortunately with the same size
- rear power stabilizer failed to deploy drivers side about half the time
- the frame for the camp kitchen hatch was installed skew so the hatch would not close properly
- entrance door frame also crooked
- "Touch" radio was erratic
- carpet was wet near the slide when we bought, might have just been the slide was left part way open so the seal was not good.

All these issues are being repaired under warranty, but I am quite concerned about ongoing problems after the warranty period. In fact, I am wondering if the entire frame/axle/suspension system is undersized (it's dry yellow sticker weight is 6350#, but the GVWR is only 7600#, and combined GAWR is 700#, not a lot of headroom even if we pack light.) I am wondering if I should get an extended warranty. Would other 292BHDS owners mind posting their experiences? Particularly with respect to the bigger ticket items like suspension, slide, leaks etc.

Thank you!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

We are considering purchasing a different model Coachman. I'm interested in how this thread goes. Thanks for posting your experience.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

There is already a thread on this issue with over 100 replies. I have the same model and knock on wood I only had to take it to the deal for the radio issue and a minor slide adjustment. They replaced the crappy one touch radio with a different brand. I would suggest read through the other thread and keep an eye open for other potential issues. Good luck hopefully you can get all the issues worked out.
Ft W crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

you might want to post the link to your thread, I remember reading it. and what solution was reached.

It does sound like there may be some issues with the springs on the 292. Either they got a bad run (which can happen) or they are just not the right specification for the weight of the trailer.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

We picked ours up in May of last year and have had the water pump replaced which went during the first sanitization of the fresh water system. It was replaced with a better quality Sure-flo pump. The grey tank valve was leaking slightly, it was replaced. My leaf springs where flat by July and where replaced by the dealer with higher rated Dexter springs ( search "FE 292BHDS springs maxed out" to see pictures). Other than a few other minor things, that's about it. Not too bad I think as almost all RV's have quality issues of some sort.
I am just waiting for the LCI tongue jack to finally crap out so I can get a new Husky or Barker jack. All the manufacturers have their share of issues, but I think most issues appear within the first year and are usually corrected under warranty from a reputable dealer. At least that's been my experience with my local Coachmen dealer
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

We have had our 2013 Freedom Express which we purchased in Apr 13. On our second trip I noticed that when I turned on a tap, the flow was not constant, rather it cycles up and down. This happens all the time, and regardless of how much water is in the fresh water tank. I have posted a video on Youtube showing exactly what I mean - (you may have to post the URL into your browser if clicking on the link does not work).

Any suggestions what to do?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #7

The water pump has a pressure switch, it is designed to run to a set pressure and then shut-off. It appears you are getting plenty of flow, but what is happening is that you are bumping off the pressure switch.

First thing that comes to mind, is if you look at your pump you will notice a screen behind a clear cap, remove it completely and clean it. you can use vinegar to remove any deposits on the screen itself.

I would also check your hot water heater bypass. For some reason the pressure in the line is building faster than the flow at the tap relieves it, that suggests some backpressure. So make sure the bypass it set correctly.

Finally, it is possible that the pressure switch is just to sensitive. It would have to be replaced.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #8

Water pump issues continue

jeeplj8 thanks for the suggestions, but no luck.

My dealer suggested that I take off the screens at all the tap locations and clean them as they may be causing too much pressure with the system. They also said that I would find multiple screens and that only one was required. They also suggested that a hose may be kinked somewhere in the system.

Tried this but still no luck.

I did notice on our last trip that the pump worked correctly when the toilet is used, however, no luck with the shower or taps.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. On that note, the dealer where we purchased the trl is two hrs away, however, the closest dealer is only 20 min away (didn't purchase from the closest dealer as they were offering me next to nothing for my trade!). I feel a little awkward bringing it the closest dealer, however, it is very convenient. Are they compelled to do warranty work even though they never sold me the trailer?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfduke View Post
jeeplj8 thanks for the suggestions, but no luck.

My dealer suggested that I take off the screens at all the tap locations and clean them as they may be causing too much pressure with the system. They also said that I would find multiple screens and that only one was required. They also suggested that a hose may be kinked somewhere in the system.

Tried this but still no luck.

I did notice on our last trip that the pump worked correctly when the toilet is used, however, no luck with the shower or taps.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. On that note, the dealer where we purchased the trl is two hrs away, however, the closest dealer is only 20 min away (didn't purchase from the closest dealer as they were offering me next to nothing for my trade!). I feel a little awkward bringing it the closest dealer, however, it is very convenient. Are they compelled to do warranty work even though they never sold me the trailer?
They are not required. Often they will if the factory asks them to.

Did you try running the water with all screens removed from the tap?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #10

We have had for 1 year. Only problems were easily fixed by the dealer.
1)Radio antenna wasn't hooked up properly
2)TV atenna wasn't connect to the splitter properly
3)"Check" light kept coming on on fridge which appears to be solved by adjusting the thermostat up
4)Slight adjustment in the water heater gas air inlet.

In the last month we've had 2 flats. Appears the springs are flat on the passengers side of the camper.