Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

30 BHS Water Heater Bypass

Got a new 2011 Catalina 30 BHS this summer. Walk through was basically worthless and will never buy from this dealer again, but that's a story for another day...... This is my 3rd camper so I'm familiar with maintenance and have always done my own work, but I'm baffled.

The walk through guy told me to winterize I need to remove the anode rod from the water heater so I could fill the fresh water tank with antifreeze and run it through the lines, including filling up the water heater.

Well I obviously know that's ridiculous and have removed a couple panels to find the factory already installed a kit on the pump so no need to fill up the tank...... However, I can't find a way to get to the water heater bypass. I called Coachmen and they said a bypass is standard on my unit, but didn't know where it was located. I've removed every panel that doesn't look to be permanently installed but no luck.

Anyone else know where to look? It's located pretty much under the stove and there is one panel with the propane alarm that's screwed, but it doesn't want to budge. I hate to use force and damage it if that's not where I need to be looking.

On a side note, we absolutely love the camper, especially the outside kitchen option. Just a little disappointed I can't get help from the dealer or Coachmen with what should be an easy question.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

valve is not directly behind hw heater ?

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

That's what I'm trying to figure out. All the panels directly behind the water heater are permanently installed cabinets. I've removed everything that looks to not be permanent, other than the one small panel noted in my original post.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

Did you try under the sink? I have a 28DDS and my pump kit is under the sink and it looks like your hot water heater is near this area. Try removing the thin panels under the sink to see if it is here.

My hot water heater is in the rear under the bunks and I have to remove some panels here to get to the bypass valves.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Leroy669, looking at some photos of that model camper, it appears that the hot water heater is either under the sink cabinet, or under the stove. Unplug the camper from shore power, and carefully pull out the power center, and see if the valves are behind that. If not there, then open the big sink door, and see if there are any removable panels there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Leroy669, looking at some photos of that model camper, it appears that the hot water heater is either under the sink cabinet, or under the stove. Unplug the camper from shore power, and carefully pull out the power center, and see if the valves are behind that. If not there, the open the big sink door, and see if there are any removable panels there.
Maybe, if you have a drawer under the refer, remove it and take a look.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to dinda156 Send a message via Skype™ to dinda156
I also have a 28DDS. My by-pass access requires to removal of a panel that is screwed in which is located underneath the rear bunk bed.

I will say, anytime I have e-mail Coachmen customer service, I have received a prompt reply with good information in both cases in which I contacted them.

Good luck!

Darin

2012 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
Husky Centerline WDS
dinda156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #8

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm pulling it home from storage tomorrow so I'm going to try all the suggestions.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #9

Found it! It was the panel with the propane alarm. Had to pull really hard as it was stuck in there. Also had some help from Forest River customer service.

Here's to hoping this great fall weather holds out for another couple weekends of camping!