Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

320BHDS Outdoor Kitchen Door Problem

Any one having problems with their outdoor kitchen door? We are on the 3rd repair, the brackets that hold the hydraulic cylinders to the door keep coming off! Dealer is 2 1/2 hours from me and it's just frustrating. The last fix consisted of more holes and plastic plates to screw bracket to. I'm new to this social media thing so forgive me, will try yo post pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outdoor Kitchen Door (right hinge).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	36594  
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf63 View Post
Any one having problems with their outdoor kitchen door? We are on the 3rd repair, the brackets that hold the hydraulic cylinders to the door keep coming off! Dealer is 2 1/2 hours from me and it's just frustrating. The last fix consisted of more holes and plastic plates to screw bracket to. I'm new to this social media thing so forgive me, will try yo post pictures.
I have a sabre and outside kitchen with no issues in 2 years.

A metal plate seems to be in order to fix this properly.

Turbs

Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #3

I believe another member, Oldcoot, solve his same issue with metal plate like Turbo suggested. I believe Oldcoot used a piece of metal roughly 10"x6" if I recall seeing his picture correctly. He had pop riveted the plate to the door and then the bracket for the arm to the new plate installed.

I'm sure he will be along to correct me where I'm wrong and help you along!!!

I'm in the same boat as Turbo though and haven't had any trouble with mine fortunately. But I do feel the metal plate would solve the issue!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
I believe another member, Oldcoot, solve his same issue with metal plate like Turbo suggested. I believe Oldcoot used a piece of metal roughly 10"x6" if I recall seeing his picture correctly. He had pop riveted the plate to the door and then the bracket for the arm to the new plate installed.

I'm sure he will be along to correct me where I'm wrong and help you along!!!

I'm in the same boat as Turbo though and haven't had any trouble with mine fortunately. But I do feel the metal plate would solve the issue!
I believe your pretty close on the plate if not dead right.
The more surface area you can get on the metal plate means more rivits to hold it in place.

If you don't want the "metal" look it can always be painted to match the interior of the door.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

to answer your first question, I have a 320 (just coming up on a year with it) and we have not had this problem, thankfully.

However there have been a number of posts on the forum lately with people having the same problem. somehow the plate that the hydraulic cylinder attaches to the door with is not secure.

I would add to above that I would recommend not just a larger plate screwed to the door, but also use a good adhesive, it will take some strain off those screws. I noticed in your second picture it appears the pop-rivet holding the mount broke, but not those holding the plastic plate in place. I feel short self tapping machine screws would work better than rivets here, but that is just my opinion.

I cannot help but wonder if this is an alignment issue. If the hydraulic cylinders and not aligned correctly, they may be placing more pressure on the mount end than necessary.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

I would agree that adhesive would help relieve the screws and/or pop rivets of some of the stress and help disperse any of the stress throughout the panel a little better.

I personally would use self tapping screws as well. I don't feel that they would hold any better but I don't own a riveting tool would be my reasoning...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #7

The screws on ours sheared off. I talked tot the dealer and they are going use stainless steel nut and bolt right through the door. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrplay View Post
The screws on ours sheared off. I talked tot the dealer and they are going use stainless steel nut and bolt right through the door. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
While I would hate to have mine thru bolted, that is the ultimate solution.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

The marine industry uses stainless machine screws, nuts and bolts all the time on door hinges & brackets, otherwise the regular tapping screws would fatigue and snap or back out over time due to the constant pounding. The bolt heads are counter sunk into the hinge plate and usually a cap nut and lock washer on the other side of the door panel.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

I think I have the same problem. I have a 2014 Wildwood Trailer, and this evening I noticed that the outdoor kitchen hydraulic arm had a screw pop out on one side. It looks to me like this has been repaired before. And there are now some wood pieces that have come out/are jagged. Here is a pic (I think you can zoom). Any help you can provide regarding a repair, if this is indeed the same issue, is appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5y...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Joe

Tags
door