Old 06-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
My personal opinion I would never tow anything much longer than 26 feet with a half ton. Even if it is a light weight longer TT. The wind turns a half ton into a whip.
Huh ??

Took a trip last year with our 1/2 ton and 28.5 footer when there were all sorts of high wind warning advisories. Other than terrible fuel mileage (in the 9s), there was no problems with the wind.

But I do feel like I am at the max of what I can comfortable tow with a 145" wheelbase 1/2 ton.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #12

avolnek I got a 2012 CC Shorty with the Cummins. Just rolled 900 miles and can't keep the smile from my face. Such a huge difference pulling. Making a 6 hour round trip to Kansas City this weekend. It has been planned since we ordered the camper in February and I almost cancelled it a couple weeks ago. After seeing how this truck pulls I have no safety concerns and really looking forward to the trip.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
daydreaming about camping

Slow Lane, Where are you staying in KC?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #14

Were are coming down for 2 nights at Worlds of Fun and 2 nights at the Great wolf lodge. I tried to convince the family to do that new schwizzle sticks water park but they wanted the lodge in case of inclement weather they could still swim, so we will hotel it for those nights. Big Braves fans so we will do that Tuesday and Wednesday. I have not checked we have 20 people going down does Kaufman allow trailers for tailgating and Barbeque? Go Braves.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Lane View Post
Were are coming down for 2 nights at Worlds of Fun and 2 nights at the Great wolf lodge. I tried to convince the family to do that new schwizzle sticks water park but they wanted the lodge in case of inclement weather they could still swim, so we will hotel it for those nights. Big Braves fans so we will do that Tuesday and Wednesday. I have not checked we have 20 people going down does Kaufman allow trailers for tailgating and Barbeque? Go Braves.
Are you staying in the Worlds of Fun campground? It is kind of a parking lot, but convenient.

Got ya on the Great Wolf Lodge, kids love that place!

Kaufman and Arrowhead killed trailers a couple years ago. It was quite the raging debate. They have a pretty firm restriction on RV's now as well. So you will not be able to get your trailer in. But you can show up early and tailgate without any problem. They even provide special dumpsters to put your hot coals from BBQ in.

There are several pretty nice campgrounds in Jackson Co if you want to check those out.

And when it comes to BBQ, everyone has their favorites but if you have never had Gates or Arthur Bryant, need to check those out.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #16

Had Arthur Bryant will have to look into Gates. In the past we have rented there little cabins. Alot cheeper to rent there parking lot. We will spend most of our time in the parks and it will be nice to have the camper to eat and sleep in we have a 2 year old that still requires naps and a place to cool down. We have a friend with a home on Big Lake which is close to half way so we will stay there a couple nights in their driveway going down and coming back. I will look into Jackson county for sure. Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #17

That's awesome, the 2012 is the perfect year to buy! The newest truck you can get without the diesel exhaust fluid! You will have no trouble towing with it!

For what it is worth my father purchased the same to pull a 14K 5er. we went 600 miles one way into the rockies a month ago. we traveled at 65mph or a touch under. I also had him kick out of over drive and into 5th as this put him at the 1900-2000 RPM mark which is perfect for towing.

We also installed a bully dog triple dog tuner on it for gauges and a little extra oomph... We also installed a pyrometer to watch the exhaust gas temperature. I would highly recommend this! Anyone towing with a diesel should be watching the exhaust gas...

Congrats though... you'll love the truck! I am incredibly jealous of my folks that's for sure!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #18

of the the three, Longview and Jacomo are the best campgrounds. We go to either just to get our camping fix, even though they are no more than 15 minutes from home.
Jackson County - Lake Jacomo
Jackson County - Longview Lake

And if you want to explore some different BBQ options:
The Filling Station BBQ of Lee's Summit
Q's Home
Summit Hickory Pit BBQ

Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #19

Thanks for the links Jeep.

My concern with the tuner is voiding warranty? I have been looking at some pillar gauges but not sure what all I need to keep an eye. Been reading up over on the Cummins Forum but this is my first diesel does not seem to overly complicated just way different from a gasser from a maintenance stand point.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #20

I would talk to your dealer about that! We spoke to ours before doing it as well. They said the warranty wouldn't be voided because of it unless it caused the issue. He said if he drove it reasonably then there wouldn't be any issues. We run ours on the lowest setting which I believe is tow mode and +40 ft lbs... Many dealers wont void warranty because they want the free money! Ours suggested when we take it in to un install it and remove it like it wasn't there. Then they don't HAVE to report it. If it is installed when you take it in then they have to. It is a legit concern and I would suggest contacting your dealer...

Also, there is a law that to void warranty work they have to prove the truck was abused and that the programmer is the sole reason of the failure... so most of the time it is easier for them to just repair it under warranty than to try and fight it... Not telling you to do it, as I highly recommend talking to your dealer first.. But both my father and I love the programmer...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote