Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

360IBL punch list finally completed (15 months later)

LOL, so I posted a little while ago that I'd start a thread with my warranty details so others who are not aware on just how broken this industry is can understand it.

WARNING: VERY LONG!!

Before I begin, I want to say that I still love this camper and would buy it again. Not only that, my dealer IMO has been fantastic (I know many of them for 8+ years).

Bought my camper from MI back in August of 2014 (ordered it) and it was going to be delivered to my house in NH. Dealer is 30 min from factory and 3rd largest Coachmen dealer in the US. The whole purchase was on condition that I get it by Columbus Day weekend as we had a camping trip planned. As we got about a month away, I was getting nervous.. I contacted Coachmen direct and spoke with their sales manager. Long story short, mine wasn't scheduled to come off the line until the week after Columbus Day weekend so they converted a camper that was on the assembly line currently to what I wanted and gave me that one.

This one was a dealer stock item so all they did was give that dealer mine and I took that one. Fortunately for me, the one on the line being built before mine had the latest updates (Black fridge, all LED lighting inside etc) where mine didn't have it. They didn't charge me the price increase and installed both TV mounts at no charge even though I wasn't buying the TVs that are optioned.

All in all, the factory treated me well... The dealer got the camper 5 days before I needed it and sent it out to me the next day arriving the day after it left.

So this is where my punch list begins and the whole process of my warranty repairs and dates corresponding to timelines.

To add, I tried as best as possible to leave the camper with them between trips so nothing caused me to miss a trip and dealer is only 30 seconds from my work so it was really convenient to drop off and pick up.

This book of papers is my work orders/repairs from the past 15 months. It is by far the longest and biggest the dealer has ever had.

Nov 6 -

1) Can't get keys in slam locks. Locks have already corroded in a month.
- lubed locks, no luck.. need to order new slam locks.

2) recliner couch has tears in it. Requested it be replaced.
- Coachmen approved someone to come out to repair first, if I was not satisfied, they would replace.
** Of course I'm not going to be satisfied by a brand new leather couch being glued. Couch was ordered.

3) Kitchen sink drains are already rusting after 1 weekend use.
- New drains ordered

4) Rear window has dried glue that oozed out.
- area cleaned up

5) Bathroom door handle was installed at a 2pm direction instead of 3pm (handle). This caused you to be able to see through the door through the door handle hole.
- I fixed this easily but original install caused marks on door when tightened down. Door ordered

6) curtain above kitchen table delivered ripped.
- Coachmen shipped me new curtain to my house, I replaced, took almost 8 weeks to receive.

7) Carpet not tacked down in many areas in master bedroom, corners lifted up.
- Carpet was tacked back down.

8) Closet drawer would open during travel. Sliding door for washer/dryer area would slide open
- Drawer fixed, new glides ordered for sliding door, both upper and lower.

9) Light switch in kitchen would click on but clicking off would be a very soft/spongy feel. Electrical outlet by sink was screwed in too denting it along with plate.
- Light switch replaced, electrical outlet unscrewed a little to even out and replace plate.

10) Hard bubbles through hallway under linoleum.
- Tech removed molding and lifted flooring, found all kinds of sawdust and debris from wood flooring. Factory never swept or vacuumed before installing floor. Set floor back down.

11) drawers inside island are unfinished and splintering/cracking.
- Factory stated normal condition, tech pulled drawers out and 180'd them and reinstalled as the back of them was in better condition.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #2

notes from dealer on work order.

1/9 needed law tags from recliner to order them (repair attempt made and I refused).

1/17 received pics of law tag, sent to warranty admin.

2/2 took camper home for winter

2/6 has not heard from factory regarding new sofa yet

2/10 still waiting on factory answer

2/20 footrests now on order.

4/15 dropped off for repairs to be completed.

4/23 repairs completed, waiting on approval for a few other items.

5/1 still waiting on parts.

5/12 still waiting on parts

End of original work order
Old 02-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #3

Next work order:

6/20/15

guides for bedroom closet were wrong, factory sent wrong parts, reordered

6/29 followed up, parts still on order, 7/13 appt for drop off

7/15 parts installed

8/15 picked up camper, slam latches still on order (1st set was wrong, 2nd set was damaged, yes need a 3rd set ordered).

ADDED to list of issues

1) new drain that was installed in kitchen sink sits higher then sink so all water does not drain
- Remove drain, remove gasket that original drain didn't have, reinstalled and used silicone to seal.

2) shower drain is rusting
- ordered drain kit to replace. Stainless steel drain with regular screw (non stainless steel).. does this make sense?? Nope

3) staples sticking out of carpet, damn that hurts your foot
- pulled out staples and retacked carpet where appropriate.

4) shade on right rear window came out of wall
- screwed back in using new larger screws

5) Wet cabinet door lets water in when it rains (outside connection door)
- Found striker not installed properly not allowing door to properly seal, relocated latch and replaced slam latch.

6) grey and black water valves leak when closed. Yes I got a nice surprise when I opened the cover as "liquid" came rushing out.
- Found black valve not closing properly, seal was bent inward allowing seepage. Both valves replaced.
** Coachmen sent the wrong length the first time.

7) entry side curtain pulled out of wall.
- replaced stripped screws with new larger ones.

8) exterior molding the seals front cap to body is pulling away from camper.
- molding pulled away and was too long for area. Trimmed and resealed.

9) entry way grab handle rubber started to split
- new handle ordered

10) A/C relay clicks for 15-30 seconds upon furnace command to turn on. New control board ordered.
- Coachmen sent new AC without control board the 1st time. Reordered. Coachmen sent a thermostat the 2nd time. Reordered again, coachmen finally overnighted a new control board. Tech found lose ground wire as well during install which he believes was causing the relay clicking.

Finally picked up camper today with all repairs completed.

Almost 31 hours of labor for tech to complete repairs.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #4

Lastly I will add that back in October of 2015 about a week prior to my warranty expiring, I visited Camping World to add more items to list. They advised me to email Coachmen so they don't deny warranty because it won't be in the shop till after it expires.

I did just that, no response from them.

After I dropped it off at the end of October, Coachmen tried to deny my warranty. Fortunately I copied Camping World on that email to the factory so they had ammunition to fight them on it.

They did end up covering everything needed but by far they (manufacturer) was not easy to work with. 6-8 weeks for parts, shipping the wrong parts multiple times.. shipping damaged parts.

Fortunately (did I say that??) I am now out of warranty and I think service will be better time wise now that I don't have to wait for "warranty approval".

Again, I love this camper, love this floor plan but this warranty process is broken. The build quality is broken. Most of this was just half assed quality work and if they really took pride in their work, most of this would not have happened.

Can't really blame my selling dealer as they had no time to get it to me so even if they did a thorough walkthrough, they would have still had to ship it to me despite any issues they found.

Hopefully going forward it will be trouble free. Looking forward to our camping trips this year!!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Well I hope that since the repairs are now on your dime,that they are few. Our Chaparral has been pretty trouble free. We are looking at trading ours in on a new Chappy 370FL.Love the room and floor plan.The outside storage isn't any more than what we have now.That surprises me as it's 10' longer,but we have more than enough. I hope if we do trade that we are lucky again on the build quality. Good luck with yours and
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #6

Thanks. There is a lot of posts about lack of QC on campers and I agree. I don't know if all these issues were because they were trying to rush it to get it to me on time or not.

Most items should have been caught at the factory. Sweep the floors, don't leave staples hanging, don't rip the couch when installing, cut the moldings to the right length, don't over tighten things, don't install a bathroom handle so you can see through the door etc etc. If they would have just paid attention to what they were doing, I think I would have only had 3 or 4 issues that could have been addressed much quicker.

Long story short, we all need to hold the manufacturer accountable. 30 hours of paid labor is crazy for something that just rolled off the assembly line.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #7

Yep you said it was long. That is a lot of problems. Sounds like Camping World did what they could do. I was thinking they were the ones you were having issues with. Sure hope we don't have that many issues with our Columbus.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Thanks. There is a lot of posts about lack of QC on campers and I agree. I don't know if all these issues were because they were trying to rush it to get it to me on time or not.

Most items should have been caught at the factory. Sweep the floors, don't leave staples hanging, don't rip the couch when installing, cut the moldings to the right length, don't over tighten things, don't install a bathroom handle so you can see through the door etc etc. If they would have just paid attention to what they were doing, I think I would have only had 3 or 4 issues that could have been addressed much quicker.

Long story short, we all need to hold the manufacturer accountable. 30 hours of paid labor is crazy for something that just rolled off the assembly line.
I'm sure it's from them rushing. I remember when we ordered our last travel trailer, Forest River kept it at their facility for 3 extra days working out any problems and replacing/repairing things they found were done incorrectly. If they rushed yours to you right after rolling off the assembly line, there were no doubt many things that were overlooked. These are definitely purchases that need to go through as many eyes on as possible.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

Glad you got resolution on your issues. Now let's see some camping pics! Love our 360ibl and can't wait to see you posting your travel adventures with yours!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #10

Blwnsmoke, glad you ultimately got it resolved, too bad it took so long. I am dealing with the exact same thing except this time around I made up my mind its going to be taken care of before the sale. Its not one bit faster though. Its also not always the dealers, its a slow process and it starts at the manufacturer. Actually process is not the correct word, joke may be a better choice.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Blwnsmoke, glad you ultimately got it resolved, too bad it took so long. I am dealing with the exact same thing except this time around I made up my mind its going to be taken care of before the sale. Its not one bit faster though. Its also not always the dealers, its a slow process and it starts at the manufacturer. Actually process is not the correct word, joke may be a better choice.
I've actually been following your thread regarding the Rockwood. We obviously relate quite a bit in regards to QC and attention to detail... well lack there of..

Best of luck to you as well with getting yours repaired to your satisfaction.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootingranny View Post
Glad you got resolution on your issues. Now let's see some camping pics! Love our 360ibl and can't wait to see you posting your travel adventures with yours!
We can't wait to start our trips again this year. Got it home within 2 hours of it starting to snow and was able to get the cover on myself.

Haven't seen the camper in 3 months and the first thine my wife texts me when I got it home was "it's so beautiful" lol.

We have security cameras setup at our house and get alerted when they detect motion so she knew exactly when I got it home.

2 more months and the cover will be off with a fresh wash and cleaning of the roof.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Haven't seen the camper in 3 months and the first thine my wife texts me when I got it home was "it's so beautiful" lol.
Show her this picture and let her know that I think the kitchen on a 360IBL is just so beautiful and it's even more so with a man in the kitchen--here's Tom cooking us breakfast on our January trip. I want to see her post a pic of you cooking for her as soon as you guys can get out again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6446.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	99299  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #14

Is that another fridge under the island?

Old 02-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #15

IronCobra...why yes it is! It's turned sideways on this trip because it was a short trip and we didn't load it up with anything. It needs to be turned sideways for the slides to come in, but we just twist it around when we're set up. We use it as our "adult beverage" and diet coke fridge. That way we have just food, milk, etc in the other fridge.

When traveling we just use a simple strap to hold it in place, put the stools in front of the island with a blanket draped over them to avoid scratching the island leg or anything else. Icemaker, coffee maker and coffee pot go in little foldable crates (you can see a blue one in front of the little fridge) in front of the stools and it's all nice and snug with the slides in.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #16

We can still use the stools on the side of the island and at the end. The fridge plugs into the outlet that's on the side of the island facing the table. It really has come in handy on our longer trips.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #17

The grankids love sitting on the stools at the end of the island to eat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5797.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	99303  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #18

That's great use of the space. Grand Kids are super cute! What part of Texas are you at? Every travel down to South Texas (San Antonio, Corpus, Rockport,,Kingsville area?)

Here is our 21 month little angel. We also have a 20yr old daughter in college.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	99305   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	99306  

Old 02-10-2016, 12:09 AM   #19

Your child is beautiful! Love her bows! We have been to New Braunfels and Fredericksburg this fall. Have family in San Antonio that we need to go see soon. We are in the Dallas area..Rowlett to be exact. And no, we didn't get any damage from the tornado. The impact zone was less than 1/2 mile from here.
\
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #20

IronCobra here's a better pic. Neither one of us is really crazy about how the electrical cord drapes over so DH is planning on putting in an outlet on the inside of the island.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_5131.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	99318