Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

360IBL with rust stains on roof from A/C

Anybody else having this issue? Just got back from Bristol TN and was starting the clean up process and noticed these rust stain when I climb up to wash the roof.

I took A/C cover off and noticed the brackets that support coils are rusting and my warranty runs out this Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	86773  
dss596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

I have exactly the same stains on my Crusader.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Mine are not that bad, but I get them as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #4

I have run off stains as well but mine are black, like dirty water stains that run off.. at least for now they are black.

Need to get up there with a scrub brush and some spic n span to see if I can get it off. regular soap/water and a soft mop didn't do it.

Not sure which warranty you are referring to but if you are talking about the camper warranty, Dometic warrantees their AC units for 3 years. You can get it fixed/replaced if they consider surface rust a warranty item at any dealer and Dometic will pay them direct for the repair.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

Rust shouldn't hurt roof, only people flying over can see it.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #6

As expected service department replied to me today and said "RUST IS NOT WARRANTABLE ISSUE. IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD" Big shocker.
It's ashamed a 2015 Coachman RV rusting like that already.
dss596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:59 AM   #7

Have them on my apex also, guess ill be ripping it apart to paint them up if its possible.
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

I think I'm going to bring this up at the Rally in Goshen next year. Forest River and the air conditioner manufacturer hopefully will be there.

Silverado2500HD
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #9

You should have asked if the stained roof is under warranty for replacement, then told him you were going to call the NTSB to tell them that if parts of the air conditioner on your roof came flying off into traffic because of rusting through that you had informed the dealer and they said they couldn't fix it under warranty :>)
Dave.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.E View Post
You should have asked if the stained roof is under warranty for replacement, then told him you were going to call the NTSB to tell them that if parts of the air conditioner on your roof came flying off into traffic because of rusting through that you had informed the dealer and they said they couldn't fix it under warranty :>)
There is a difference between surface rust and rusting through parts making a hole.

To the OP, call Dometic.. they are the AC manufacturer and see what they say.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

Our Silverback did the same thing, Dometic AC. I never could get all of the stains off of the roof. I don't like Dometic AC's, especially since they changed a few things (Crappy functioning t-stat and control box), but that's another story.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #12

Just got up on the roof this weekend to install Wingman UHF Booster for Sensar Antenna and I too noticed the water rust run lines.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #13

When I went and talked to the service dept about the rust stains last week and the first thing I told him was I have a 2015 Coachman that I bought here and the A/C which is a Dometic Brisk air II is causing rust stain on my roof. His first response was I wish Dometic never came out with them new units.

My A/C also acts strange once in a while. It will shut off randomly in the middle of a hot day and then about 20 seconds starts up again and repeat several times in the course of about ten minutes and then run fine the rest of the day and maybe for the next week before it does it again.

Another problem with these new A/C's are the holes around the base of the units are big enough for birds to get in and build nests in the spring. I had two birds nest before I put screen around mine and my buddy has a new Sandpiper and had had the same problem.
On a good note I'm having no issues with the front A/C unit which is a different model.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
Plain Old Member

dss595, that strange part is unfortunately normal for that AC. Another reason I got away from them. With the Coleman Mach, you can select Auto, then high or low fan, so it will only use that fan speed when on. With the newer dometic, if you put in auto, IT decides what fan speed it wants, which sometimes can lead to problems. Turns on, then a while later, fan shuts off (compressor keeps running), fan turns back on, maybe in high, maybe in low. Sometimes it gets confused. It's programmed to run high speed down to a certain temp, then swap to low speed, then off, if it makes it that far. I went through several control boxes and eventually just left it in "fan on" all day, then gave up completelly and vouched to never own one again. Another crappy thing with the dometic is the new 3 wire set up. If you're lucky enough, the factory ran 7 wires, only used 3, and you can put what you want up there later if you want. If only 3 wires, your stuck with it, or up for some modifying and wire runs.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #15

BigJohnD, Thanks for the information and now I have a better understanding of what's going on with my A/C.
I'm going to pull my thermostat off the wall this weekend and see if they used a 3 or 7 wire cable.

Tags
roo, roof