Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

392 MBL Mouse in the trailer

I am not writing this on how to prevent one, Iíve already searched that topic....what I am looking for is advice from the 2017 392 MBL owners on the location(s) of all the common holes you found that needed plugging.

At the end of last year, (September) we took our trailer to the dealer for some warranty work. Unfortunately, they said they would have to order some parts (light globes) from the factory and that it would take several weeks. That turned into finally picking it up today....SEVEN MONTHS later!!!

Long story short, while it was there, a mouse decided to visit our unit as we found a few droppings in the shower. After a tip to tail search we confirmed that was the only evidence so I think it was just an exploratory visit. Now our unit smells like a peppermint factory exploded in it. Like I said at the start, are there common places with this unit I can knock off before searching?

Thanks!!

Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
.... are there common places with this unit I can knock off before searching?....
I have a 360IBL and saw light coming through at the floor when the slides were in. I suspect the three layers of seals are the same on each of my slides and maybe yours too.

I had planned on stuffing the areas with steel wool or metal kitchen scrubbie pads next time out. Meanwhile, using freshcab to hopefully hold them off.

Thing that gets me is that one of these openings is in the wheel well. I bet i am catching water while driving in the rain...

good luck.

2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply....from a very quick look it seems like I may as well just leave the front door open as there are so many potential openings!!! I can literally see the ground from inside the front door when looking at the corner of the kitchen slide!!!

I do plan to light it up at night and crawl under to take a look with some spray foam sealer but am hoping there are some easy ďcommonĒ places I can close immediately as I wonít be able to light it up for a week due to work.

Iíve heard about Fresh Cab but have been told customs will not let it into Canada for some reason.
Gsxrgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
I have a 360IBL and saw light coming through at the floor when the slides were in
My 370 FL was the same way.We ended up with water on the floor when towing in the rain.I had the dealer fix it on a trip in for warranty work. They put another layer of rubber trim in there along with some black butyl sealer. No more light nd more important,no more water on the kitchen floor.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Despite what unit we've owned mice have always a concern as we live in the boonies. We take an old school approach - about 10 old fashioned traps placed in a circle in the middle of the floor with a cheese or peanut butter treat in the middle. DH calls it his trap line. We've tried the dryer sheets, the electronic noise device, the peppermint oil, the moth balls and about a dozen other methods with no luck. Brutal but effective. As another Canadian we've never tried Cab Fresh either.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

Try some No Pest Strips. Double up the quantity... 2 per every 8 x 10 x 12 foot area spread about 5 feet apart from each other. The vapor has a neurotoxin effect with small animals and will eventually kill them if exposed to it for an extended period of time. The rodents tend to be repelled from the area before they are killed and the odor of the No Pest Strips is repulsive to rodents. Also, rodents are usually attracted by a food source, or water source. Rodents like to eat insects. If you remove the food supply, there is no attraction for the rodents.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

Along the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Despite what unit we've owned mice have always a concern as we live in the boonies. We take an old school approach - about 10 old fashioned traps placed in a circle in the middle of the floor with a cheese or peanut butter treat in the middle. DH calls it his trap line. We've tried the dryer sheets, the electronic noise device, the peppermint oil, the moth balls and about a dozen other methods with no luck. Brutal but effective. As another Canadian we've never tried Cab Fresh either.
Mice tend to go in paths along the edges of the floor. We placed traps at the edges of the floor and lower cabinets and regularly caught many...

Until I spent a day under the trailer wrapping coarse (#3) steel wool around every pipe and cable that passed through the membrane. I secured the steel wool with cable ties. I patched the membrane with Gorilla Tape. There were a few spots where I could see cables or pipes entering cabinets from the top. I stuffed steel wool around these pipes and forced it in with a large screwdriver.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

mouse

Since there are so many little spots to get in I double up on protection. dryer sheets, irish spring soap, peppermint, and a couple mouse traps. we caught one this winter. we live in the country so they are everywhere. better safe than sorry.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #9

Just one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
Since there are so many little spots to get in I double up on protection. dryer sheets, irish spring soap, peppermint, and a couple mouse traps. we caught one this winter. we live in the country so they are everywhere. better safe than sorry.
We visit our (stationary) trailer every other weekend or so--sometimes more often or for longer than a weekend.

For a while we would set out four traps (with peanut butter) each time we left and when we returned there would usually be about two dead mice. When the weather finally got decent last spring, I spend a day beneath the trailer (see post above) and we haven't had one since.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #10

Mouse

Iím in mine at least once a week since itís on our property lol.

Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer