Old 03-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #21

We took off June 1 and returned home July 25 and drive a little over 4500 miles. Left home in SW Virginia, stayed a few days in Luray; headed to Hershey, PA for 3 days; on to Ashford, CT (just to camp in CT); then on to Old Orchard Beach, ME. Spent 5 days there eating lobster, then headed back south. Foster, RI for 4 days, then to NYC. Stayed at Liberty Harbor for 5 days (over Independence Day) and then headed on further south. Met the parents in VA for a night so we could celebrate the youngest ones birthday, then on to Point South, SC for a couple of nights, then on to Hunting Island, SC for 2 weeks. It was a great trip.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
We will be driving across I-80 first stop in Gothenburg Ne (koa) second night in mid Wyoming third night Elko NV fourth night in destination grass valley California.
Normal (Go Redbirds) to Gothenburg, NE (KOA) = 677 miles
Gothenburg to Rawlins, WY = 401 miles

or maybe:

Normal to Grand Island, NE (KOA) = 581 miles
Grand Island to Rawlins = 509 miles

The KOA in Grand Island is just off I-80; we stopped there two years ago.

I'd stay (again) in Wells, NV about 50 miles east of Elko at Mountain Shadows RV Park.
RVParkList.com

If your rig isn't really really long you can take Hwy 20 from I-80 (near mile 161) to Grass Valley. Our overall length is about 47' and we take it when coming back from Florida to Lakeport (on Hwy 20).

2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
(the near max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming . . . not good when semi's are passing you at 80 MPH)
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #23

Quote:
How far has your longest trip been?

We snowbird from Lakeport, CA (an hour north of Napa Valley) to near Ocala, FL (an hour and fifteen minutes north of Orlando).

About 3K miles each way. Spend 3 months of summer in Lakeport (it's hotter than Florida but doesn't have the humidity issues) and 8 months in Summerfield, FL and about 1 month driving back and forth and checking out places along the way.

(the near max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming . . . not good when semi's are passing you at 80 MPH)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
May I ask the route you would plan to take and places you plan to stop? We are in Michigan and are considering a trip to CA. I have never been west and have no idea what I might be getting myself into! lol Figure now is the time to research.

Late Spring, Summer, Early Fall on I-80. For Norcal: I-90 and/or I-70 for a change of scenery. For Socal: I-40 and/or I-10.

I-80 gets up to 8,000 feet or so in places but it isn't twisty or steep. Just about 4 lane divided all the way. As I remember (from a trip in 1978), I-90 only get up to about 5,000 feet. I-70 west of Denver goes up to around 11,500 feet and steep in places, I believe - never taken it out of Denver going west.

What are you driving and where in CA are you going? From where in Michigan? How much time for the trip?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Normal (Go Redbirds) to Gothenburg, NE (KOA) = 677 miles
Gothenburg to Rawlins, WY = 401 miles

or maybe:

Normal to Grand Island, NE (KOA) = 581 miles
Grand Island to Rawlins = 509 miles

The KOA in Grand Island is just off I-80; we stopped there two years ago.

I'd stay (again) in Wells, NV about 50 miles east of Elko at Mountain Shadows RV Park.
RVParkList.com

If your rig isn't really really long you can take Hwy 20 from I-80 (near mile 161) to Grass Valley. Our overall length is about 47' and we take it when coming back from Florida to Lakeport (on Hwy 20).

the first leg of the trip we will leave Friday evening and drive into iowa than rest for a few hours before pushing in to grand island. Grand island is a good idea will keep that in mind Mountain Shadows is great idea thanks very much for the info and help.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Late Spring, Summer, Early Fall on I-80. For Norcal: I-90 and/or I-70 for a change of scenery. For Socal: I-40 and/or I-10.

I-80 gets up to 8,000 feet or so in places but it isn't twisty or steep. Just about 4 lane divided all the way. As I remember (from a trip in 1978), I-90 only get up to about 5,000 feet. I-70 west of Denver goes up to around 11,500 feet and steep in places, I believe - never taken it out of Denver going west.

What are you driving and where in CA are you going? From where in Michigan? How much time for the trip?
What kind of hitch are you using? I am using dues friction sway but thinking about buying a 4 point Equalizer hitch I hear that wind will be an issue.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
WE have 16 days of vacation want to spend 6 days with family in California, leaving us 5 days on either side to drive 2000 miles each way. it will be a bit of a push but doable, the only problem I can see is if we hit high winds in Wyoming ( I-80) and stopping every 150 miles for gas.
Personally I think that is too far for a 2 week vacation. You will spend all of your time on the road and you will be exhausted from "pushing". You want time to camp and hike; and maybe even relax.

My FAVORITE place to camp (we are from MN) is the Big Horns in Wyoming. Much closer and underutilized area. You can camp at elevation where it is cool at night. You can hike all day and never see another person. You will need to be equipped to dry camp. Probably would need a small generator.

There is ALWAYS wind when you tow out West. And remember it get you from 3 directions. Side winds are as bad as head winds. Gas stations can be scarce. If you have a typical 25ish gallon tank, there are places where you need to fill if you go below 1/2 tank as it can be 100+ miles between fueling stations. I've always found I-80 to be a good route.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #28

Filling up every 150 miles, sounds like you going to use a lot of gas. Our trip from MD to Yellowstone took 16 tanks (with a 25 gal tank that is about 400 gallons) and I got 14 mpg on that trip.
Have you considered not taking the camper and using the camping cabins? I am also in the planning stages for my second big trip (to grand canyon from maryland) and taking into account the gas milage, cost of gas and the price difference between a camp site and cabin, it would be cheaper to rent camping cabins. Just something to think about.

But I really would rather take the camper LOL....
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #29

Quote:
the first leg of the trip we will leave Friday evening and drive into iowa than rest for a few hours before pushing in to grand island. Grand island is a good idea will keep that in mind Mountain Shadows is great idea thanks very much for the info and help.
I thought about taking 20 but with a total of 50 + ft back of trailer to front of truck I felt 20 might be to tight.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Filling up every 150 miles, sounds like you going to use a lot of gas. Our trip from MD to Yellowstone took 16 tanks (with a 25 gal tank that is about 400 gallons) and I got 14 mpg on that trip.
Have you considered not taking the camper and using the camping cabins? I am also in the planning stages for my second big trip (to grand canyon from maryland) and taking into account the gas milage, cost of gas and the price difference between a camp site and cabin, it would be cheaper to rent camping cabins. Just something to think about.

But I really would rather take the camper LOL....
bringing the dogs and staying by family for six days once we get to California I will need the privacy. I have a 37 gal tank but with a 7000 pound trailer 8-10 is the best I can expect depending on wind. thank for the suggestions though.