Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

A/C problem

Have a 246RKS 2013 model Freedom Express. I had it ordered with a 15K air conditioner. It would just shut off without satisfying the t-stat The fan and compressed would shut off, a few maybe 10 seconds later the fan would start and then you could hear the compressed kick in. It would run awhile and repeat this. It diff innately was not doing the job. So we get back and take it in. They put a new unit in under warranty but this one is suppose to have the new refrigerant. So we go back out to the east coast and then up to the Rockies and both trips the new unit does the same thing plus sometimes when just the fan comes back on after comp and fan have shut off without satisfying temp the fan comes on and it sounds like ice is shot across the roof. Trailer is back in shop. Any ideas or similar problems that have been corrected. Thanks Tom

Old 09-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #2

Hello. I'm not an ac repair tech. Maybe a question to ask the dealer is to see if the ac unit is too large for the area to be cooled? Thinking it may work like a home ac unit,where there is too large an ac unit for the home so the system doesn't perform properly? My brother had his fridge die on him in the mountains, he thinks it might have been caused by the elevation changes. Just an idea for you to ask the dealer.

Boots64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

It might be caused by an air flow blockage. Not enough air over the coil and it will freeze (since the new unit does the same thing it may be possible). Unless it is a heat pump you can't have ice on the outside coil.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
It might be caused by an air flow blockage. Not enough air over the coil and it will freeze (since the new unit does the same thing it may be possible). Unless it is a heat pump you can't have ice on the outside coil.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
The unit is new therefore it shouldn't be blocked already. The only common denominator between both units operating the same is the wall thermostat is the same and both operated improperly using that stat. Have the dealer change it with another of known quality and most definitely have wiring checked both ends before closing up.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Smile AC

My trailer is still in the shop. The certified ac tech is backed up. Suppose to know something Tuesday. I will post finding for future reference.
Thanks, Tom
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #6

Shop received control kit (thermostat etc) from Dometic and installed as instructed. This stopped the problem with the a/c cutting out and then back on in a minute or so. The trailer a/c was left on all day, got to 94 degrees and the trailer air could not bring the temp down below 93. Another new a/c unit has been ordered and should be here next week. ??? I will update when the new unit is tested. Thanks
Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajfish View Post
Shop received control kit (thermostat etc) from Dometic and installed as instructed. This stopped the problem with the a/c cutting out and then back on in a minute or so. The trailer a/c was left on all day, got to 94 degrees and the trailer air could not bring the temp down below 93. Another new a/c unit has been ordered and should be here next week. ??? I will update when the new unit is tested. Thanks

Good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #8

Smile A/c problem

The new ac (2nd one) was installed. Now have new ac and new control kit. Everything is working great now. Planning for next trip. YES The people at Hunter RV stayed with it until they got it right and we do appreciate that.
Tom