Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

A couple questions about a Coachmen 16FB

We recently bought a used 2013 16FB from the dealer. Everything seems to be working on it but now that we have it home I've noticed a few things.
The first is, there is a VIN number sticker on the door, that I expected. But while going through the storage I found a 1 foot square white aluminum piece of the RV siding with the same VIN number and other stickers on it. Is that normal ? I looked all over and did not see obvious repair work.
Among the stickers was a tire size and pressure sticker that said 65 PSI for the tires. Which would be D's But the ones on it are C's with 50 PSI rating. The dealer says that's what comes on the trailer from the factory. From what I can tell I have about 100 Lbs of margin with these tires ( empty ) so I do plan on changing them out before we use it.
Has anyone who owns one of these or any of the other trailers in this group changed to 14 inch tires? I upgraded the tent camper to 14's as they are much easier to find when traveling. If I can I'd like to do the same to this one.
We picked this up to see if we might like a trailer, we've used a tent and a small popup for years so this is a huge upgrade for us.
KenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

Normally you will see a VIN tag - tire info tag on the left front out side corner of the trailer, then the yellow weight info tag on the door or door frame. I would look closely for any repair work. Normally VIN tags can not be left freely floating around. Any body could take it and try to apply it to a different unit. The sticker/tag can not be removed with out saying void. Might be worth contacting Coachmen and asking them.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #3

We looked at another 16FB this morning and identified where the metal piece was cut out of. I've had someone look at ours today and they said it looks like there was a tire blowout on the left side and it damaged the lower 2 panels which were replaced. The repair was done correctly according to them. They also replaced the blackwater plumbing.
I'm certain this should have higher rated tires on it. The 2 I have looked at (2015's) had D rated not the C's that are on ours. No response from the dealer about the unit other than those are the right tires so I'll just replace the tires myself. Everything else is in good shape other than he said they should have lowered the price due to previous damage. And that they knew it as they would have seen the metal piece and noticed the missing stickers. I figure it this way though. This was an introduction to why I will not buy the next RV from this particular dealer.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

The tires are brand new Goodyear Marathons with an August manufacture date , with nice and shiny balance weights so at least I can stick them on Craigslist and get something out of them.
I emailed Coachman and asked them if the VIN not being attached was a problem. Thank you !
Old 01-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

That was easy, I spoke to Connie from Coachman and ordered a replacement VIN sticker. For the tires, they should have been D rated per Coachman. I am going to put the trailer on stands this weekend and move the axle so I have plenty of room for a larger tire. I'd rather get a more common size than a 13 inch D rated. Just waiting on the spring perches to come in. None available locally.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

KenW, I have a 16B and am thinking about doing the same thing with my axle, let us know how it turns out.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

Maybe contact the dealer and let them know that they WILL replace the tires with the proper load rating or you'll be contacting a lawyer about them selling a trailer with under rated tires that pose a safety risk. Just because it is sold "As Is" doesn't mean you don't have some recourse in a situation like this. It just means you don't have a warranty.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen