Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Add power vent to new Freedom Express

We just took delivery last Friday on our new 254 DSX trailer. Our first one and we are excited. Have already started with some minor mods to increase our comfort. The vent above the main queen bed is manual with no power fan. I would like to add one of the Vortex II fans that installs from inside. Problem is there is no power line running to that vent. When I took out the trim shroud I found a 12v wire running nearby but it is a switched wire that runs between the
LED lights in the ceiling. Somehow I need to get a powered 12v wire to that vent.

Has anyone tried this?
Dooger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooger54 View Post
We just took delivery last Friday on our new 254 DSX trailer. Our first one and we are excited. Have already started with some minor mods to increase our comfort. The vent above the main queen bed is manual with no power fan. I would like to add one of the Vortex II fans that installs from inside. Problem is there is no power line running to that vent. When I took out the trim shroud I found a 12v wire running nearby but it is a switched wire that runs between the
LED lights in the ceiling. Somehow I need to get a powered 12v wire to that vent.

Has anyone tried this?
1) That Vortex fan is going to be very loud (I have one in the bath). If you plan to use one at night while sleeping, I recommend a Fantastic Fan instead. Fantastic Fans without all the extra amenities will only set you back an additional $50 or so.

2) I installed a version of the Maxxair they don't make anymore in our bedroom. I tapped into the 12volt that runs from a switch to the 3 lights on the ceiling. No problems for the last 5 seasons. I suppose you should see, if you can, what the maximum voltage draw you can have on those wires, for safety.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

I know the FAntastic fans are quieter, but this is a brand new trailer and I do not want to tear off the existing vent in the roof. Not to mention the fact it would void my warranty. And I like the fan noise when I sleep anyway. Can't sleep without the noise.

My problem is I can't locate a 12 volt wire that is not switched. And there is really no room to run new wires in the ceiling cavity.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Multiple switched lights (more than just one light on a switch) seem to be fairly new, if I'm not mistaken. If the switched lights have switches on each light, I'd go ahead and tie into the closest light, leave the main switch on and use the individual switches on the lamps, like most of the rest of us with older units have to do.

Or you can run separate wiring through a "decorative" raceway:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/channel%2520raceways?NCNI-5

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
I know the FAntastic fans are quieter, but this is a brand new trailer and I do not want to tear off the existing vent in the roof. Not to mention the fact it would void my warranty. And I like the fan noise when I sleep anyway. Can't sleep without the noise.

My problem is I can't locate a 12 volt wire that is not switched. And there is really no room to run new wires in the ceiling cavity.

I put in a Turbo Maxx fan. No removal of the existing vent was necessary. No drilling into the roof. Not made anymore.

Who told you that adding a fan would void your warranty? Coach or roof? Utter BS.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
I put in a Turbo Maxx fan. No removal of the existing vent was necessary. No drilling into the roof. Not made anymore.

Who told you that adding a fan would void your warranty? Coach or roof? Utter BS.
Roof of my Coachmen Freedom Express TT. No on told me it would void my warranty, I just assumed. I have to think that if I go pulling out a vent, scraping all the caulking off and replacing with a new one - have any kind of leak and the company will not back that up.

Anyway, I have no desire to pull mine out. So if I do anything it will be a Vortex II. If I can't figure a way to tap into existing wiring in the ceiling, I'll just scrap the whole idea. I won't run a wall raceway in my new unit.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:

Has anyone tried this?
Most newer ones are pre-wired changed mine out to fantastic took about 2 hours.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrle View Post
Most newer ones are pre-wired changed mine out to fantastic took about 2 hours.
As I said in the original post- current vent is not wired.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

Power fan in front of 254DSX

Yes, I have installed a fantastic fan, remote control. I used the light over the bed and ran the line from the fan to 12v light on the outside and covered it with white conduit to match the ceiling. Works like a charm.
woggie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

+1 on the fantastic fan. Quitter and works much better. Can't remember the name of it but there is a law passed that says they cannot simply void warranty. They would have to show that the specific mod that you did caused the problem.if it's done correctly you have nothing to worry about.
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
As I said in the original post- current vent is not wired.
How far is the nearest light from the vent?

If you have more than one light on a single switch do the lights have individual rocker type switches on them?
Old 06-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
How far is the nearest light from the vent?

If you have more than one light on a single switch do the lights have individual rocker type switches on them?
The closest light with a rocker switch is over our bed, about 5 feet away. Hard part will be trying to snake a wire to that light. It is a very small light, will a base of probably only 1-2" diameter.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #13

Quote:
The closest light with a rocker switch is over our bed, about 5 feet away. Hard part will be trying to snake a wire to that light. It is a very small light, will a base of probably only 1-2" diameter.
I see, this does make it harder but not impossible.

It all depends on how much you want the vent.

Is having it done for you out of the question?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I see, this does make it harder but not impossible.

It all depends on how much you want the vent.

Is having it done for you out of the question?
I looked more closely at how I might get 12v wiring to the vent this weekend. Nothing easy for sure. Not sure I want the powered vent that bad.

I wouldn't rule out having it done for me, but I have done a fair amount of wiring, snaking wires in my day - and no matter who does this, it won't be an easy job.

So I am inclined to forget it at this point.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
I looked more closely at how I might get 12v wiring to the vent this weekend. Nothing easy for sure. Not sure I want the powered vent that bad.

I wouldn't rule out having it done for me, but I have done a fair amount of wiring, snaking wires in my day - and no matter who does this, it won't be an easy job.

So I am inclined to forget it at this point.
I understand completely had the dealer install the Maxx Air in the lite.

Dropped it off after work picked it up after work the next day, had them put the original vent and parts in a box so I could hang on to it.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #16

Dooger54 - I had the same issue with my unit. I changed out both the bedroom vent and bathroom vent to fantastic fans and am very pleased. The front bedroom vent was not powered and there was a separate 12V light that was independent of wall switched mushroom lights. I used a coat hanger and fished wire the 3' distance to the independent light. Just be careful and try not to displace the roof insulation as you fish the wire.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #17

Dooger54
I also picked up a 2016 254DSX and first thought was after we picked it up is.
I have to put a Fantastic Fan over this bed.
I haven't tackeled that project yet but when I do I will tap into the nearest main LED light.
The ones that are hooked up to the main switch when you walk in.
I don't think it will be a problem those lights draw such a low current that I'm not worried of overloading the circuit.
I'll make sure that we switch off the fan from the switch up top otherwise it'll come on every time we come into the trailer and turn the lights on.
As far as installation, a friend of mine told me. Just take your time, no short cuts and do it right and you'll have NO leaks.
1996alnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996alnl View Post
Dooger54
I also picked up a 2016 254DSX and first thought was after we picked it up is.
I have to put a Fantastic Fan over this bed.
I haven't tackeled that project yet but when I do I will tap into the nearest main LED light.
The ones that are hooked up to the main switch when you walk in.
I don't think it will be a problem those lights draw such a low current that I'm not worried of overloading the circuit.
I'll make sure that we switch off the fan from the switch up top otherwise it'll come on every time we come into the trailer and turn the lights on.
As far as installation, a friend of mine told me. Just take your time, no short cuts and do it right and you'll have NO leaks.
The problem with hooking into the led lights on the main switch is that the fan will only be on when the lights are on. So if you want to run the fan during the night when you sleep, you'll be sleeping with the lights on.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:23 AM   #19

Ah yes. Your right, I never thought of that.
I will have to fish a wire from the closest light.
One of the reading lights I guess.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #20

Your right it is a small opening..but with patience it's possible.

Tags
freedom express, power, vent