Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Air conditioner question??

We have a 2015 coachman express Liberty edition 312 bhds, the a/c runs then turns off for about 2 seconds then immediately comes back on, also noticed that when I check the thermometer on the thermostat it is reading a temperature higher than it actually is in trailer, any ideas on this? It is a brand new a/c, just had it put in.
Ladybugg747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Site Team

You have one of the new thermostats. If you have it in auto it will switch the fan from high to low when the temp is getting near the setpoint, and from low to high if the temp drifts away from setpoint somewhat. When it switches it briefly stops the fan and then restarts it at the other speed. That's what your hearing happen. The compressor doesn't shut down during this transition.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Team

If the TT is hot and humid inside when you turn it on, sometimes the air flow through the vents is not sufficient to prevent the coils from freezing up. When you first start the AC on a hot humid day, open the quick cool dump vent about half way. This will allow more air flow and reduce freeze ups. Once the TT cools off, you can close the dump vent most or all the way and you should be fine.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

I also have a '15 Coachmen, a Freedom Express edition and that is exactly the way my A/C has performed since purchase in Jan. '15. "It is a brand new a/c, just had it put in". This sounds as if you have been one of the people, myself included, who had a bad Dometic unit and had to be replaced. I am now on my third A/C unit on a camper that is 18 months old.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #5

I don't know how your trailer is laid out, but on mine the thermostat is directly under the "bulk cooling" dump vent. If you open the vent within about 2 minutes the A/C will kick off, and come back on in 30 seconds. It blows the cold air directly on the thermostat and tricks it. Soon as it stops blowing the thermostat warms up and calls for air again. I leave it closed and all works normal. May not be your issue, but something to check anyway.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

My experience with A/C units is mostly industrial units in manufacturing plants and some home units. One thing I did learn years ago was that the thermostat should be placed as close to the return air grill in home units for max efficiency. I would say that this should be true with RV's also. With RV A/C units having the return air and discharge air so close together this is no feasible. My thermostat is mounted some two feet horizontally and probably two feet vertically from the roof-mounted A/C unit. On my previous TT the thermostat was mounted somewhat as you described and yes, the unit cycled way too much. It wasn't easy but I moved the thermostat further away, actually about three feet, from the factory mounting position and changed from an old analog to a digital thermostat on that unit. The cooling system worked so much better after that.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

if it helps I set my t-stat to Auto . when i first turn on ac if the temp in the unit is say 78 and i set t-stat to 68 it will run on high fan till the temp differential between the set point and unit temp is closer then it kicks to low fan . it will stay on low as long as the temp differential is not to much . when it switches between hi and low it's momentary and the compressor keeps running . once set and cool it always runs on low . if you go to your T-stat and set it to high fan . the fan will run all the time and the compressor will kick on and off as needed to keep set temp . iknow mine works much better in auto mode and much colder air when fan is running on low setting . never any issues with freeze up. but i've sealed the supply return very well and keep the filter clean
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

God I hate being a troll but. I joined this group because my wife and I are planning on jumping ship from a keystone bullet to a coachman. I bought my bullet in May of 2015 and it has seen the service dept for AC unit issues, the same issues as described in this forum. Mine is also a dometic and until I read this, it never occurred to me where my thermostat is located. Mine is almost direct under the dump vent on the entertainment center by the TV. Service has been horrible at my dealer and keystone is very unwilling to help. We love the fit and finish of the coachman 292bhds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
JNKS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #9

"JNKS2010", try this: IF you are any good at handyman type work you can do this. First go buy say ten feet (10 ft.) of thermostat (t'stat) wiring at your local home builder center (Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, Ace hardware, whatever). With the power to your TT OFF remove your present t'stat making sure to identify which color wire goes to which screw on the back of the t'stat, and make sure you do not let the old wiring fall back into the wall space. Find an area some four (4) to six (6) feet away from your present t'stat mounting site. Splice in the new wiring to the old wiring, twisting the wires together and cover with electrical tape. These wires are 12 volt DC so they should not "bite" you and again: The power should be OFF. Connect the temporary wiring to the back of the t'stat as they were originally, place the t'stat on a wall and just tape (masking tape will do fine) the t'stat to the wall allowing air flow around it. Power the TT back up and set the A/C temp so that the A/C will come on. See if this doesn't make quite a difference in the way the A/C unit runs. You will have eliminated the air flow from the discharge of the A/C blowing directly on/near you old t'stat location. The other problem will be how to re-route the wiring to the new location provided that the now location shows improvement. Which I'm betting that it will. In the meantime you can re-mount your t'stat back at the original location. Your dealer probably will not won't to attempt this re-routing of wiring. You could find a local electrician who will/can tackle this job. It's not that bad, I've done a couple. IF your unit has the crowned roof then that makes it even easier to run the wiring through the roof trusses as they have open spaces built into them.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Well the good news is that keystone has approved a new ac unit and it has been ordered. I will however move that t'stat further away. It makes total sense as to why it shuts down so fast and I have to wait upto 2 hours before it will start again. It also makes complete sense that moisture build up on a hot humid day would also cause the condenser wiring to freeze. I have always turned the unit on and closed that big air dump so that cool air goes through the air ducts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
JNKS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner