Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Another Frustration

After picking up our Freedom Express 322RLDS, we had many issues (most admittedly minor) that popped up after PDI (which was complete as this is not our first TT). Problems included slide-outs leaking, no TV reception, broken CO2 sensor, toilet leaked, sink leaked, shower head leaked, trim came loose, etc. etc. I either fixed myself, took it to the dealer, or had a local RV Tech do the work (out of pocket because the dealer causes more problems than it fixes). Today, I check the Jensen radio/DVD player and found it coming out of the mount. The factory used only two screws to mount it (there are screw holes on each of the four corners and they should've used all four screws). One screw was placed so close to the edge of the compartment that the wood finally gave way when the cold weather hit. When that happened, only one screw held the unit, causing an obvious gap in the mount. Well, I had to get my drill, various screws, and other implements of destruction and mount the damn thing back in. I got three screws to hold fast, the last one having no place which to attach due to the factory stripping the wood. What a pitiful example of quality control. And, two more screws wouldn't have cost but pennies. I am fed up and wonder what zombie will next pop out of a closet????? Oh well, sorry for the rant but I stand ready with screw drivers, hammers, nails, tape, and other survival tools. But....what is next???!!&$!)(*$!!
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Just remove the unit and glue a 1x strip along the sides or top so the screws have something to grab.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

Thanks! Right now, three screws are holding it pretty securely. I will follow your advice if it loosens up tho!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #4

Save your sanity and just look at the lack of QC as an opportunity to not only learn all about you rv, but to improve things to the way you really want them. It actually can be kind of fun.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
After picking up our Freedom Express 322RLDS, we had many issues (most admittedly minor) that popped up after PDI (which was complete as this is not our first TT). Problems included slide-outs leaking, no TV reception, broken CO2 sensor, toilet leaked, sink leaked, shower head leaked, trim came loose, etc. etc. I either fixed myself, took it to the dealer, or had a local RV Tech do the work (out of pocket because the dealer causes more problems than it fixes). Today, I check the Jensen radio/DVD player and found it coming out of the mount. The factory used only two screws to mount it (there are screw holes on each of the four corners and they should've used all four screws). One screw was placed so close to the edge of the compartment that the wood finally gave way when the cold weather hit. When that happened, only one screw held the unit, causing an obvious gap in the mount. Well, I had to get my drill, various screws, and other implements of destruction and mount the damn thing back in. I got three screws to hold fast, the last one having no place which to attach due to the factory stripping the wood. What a pitiful example of quality control. And, two more screws wouldn't have cost but pennies. I am fed up and wonder what zombie will next pop out of a closet????? Oh well, sorry for the rant but I stand ready with screw drivers, hammers, nails, tape, and other survival tools. But....what is next???!!&$!)(*$!!
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I have to ask since I have a Coachman trailer as well. . . how did you fix your TV reception issue?

That is one problem we have had since we got the unit. The dealer said one time he found a loose ground on the 12v vent fan and that seemed to help a little, but otherwise unless we are line of site of the transmitter it struggles to hold a station.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Regarding the TV fix: I took it to the dealer (another story) and he found fouled up coax connections deep inside the coach. He showed me where a connection was just slapped together by the factory and gradually worked loose. It worked during PDI, then I hauled the trailer to a campground. That move caused the connection to completely separate. Anyway, the dealer fixed it and I got air and cable reception (but still couldn't get satellite). But, in fixing it, the dealer destroyed some of my trim that I didn't discover until later. I had to fix that myself (which is why I won't go back to the dealer). Regarding the satellite issue: I installed a brand new connection in the trailer just for satellite. I ran RG6 cable from the outside to a new inside connection. It works like a champ. So, you may want to check your coax connections from start to finish.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 AM   #7

Similar problem with reception here too. My previous 3 Coachmen units never had a problem with reception (attend to the same campgrounds 90% of the time) and my latest one (North Ridge) seemed to have a very noticable problem with the usual channels. Now we are "out in the sticks" so to speak when it comes to tv reception, and being closer to the station makes a big difference, but definitely worse than the other units. So I get the idea of buying a Winegard Wingman accessory for the antenna. Go to install it and it won't fit. After looking at it, it's not even a Winegard antenna! It's a Antek or something on that order. Never new there was a different brand antenna. So next step come spring is to replace with a Winegard and see if it improves.

First couple times we used the fifth wheel our bedroom slide leaked bad, getting the carpet soaked. Dealer found a roller broken which tore up the fabric underneath and also the seal. Had to completely remove the slide, fix and replace. I like to fix/repair most everything on my trailers, but removing a slide box is a little out of my realm of expertise.

I agree with the other posters, that doing minor repairs yourself does get one more familiar with there trailer. As for me, a minor repair, much to the dismay of my wife, is an invitation to a whole new modification.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

I changed every cable fitting thats what i do lol. They were pretty bad, even just being loose causes major issues in the digital world. Ive done alot of fixes and mods so far on my new apex, qc was definitely non existent! Sucks when you pay so much. Still really love my apex and glad i can fix basically anything myself. I just pulled the jensen out and should have my new media player in tonight, cant wait to have no cables hooked up to play music!
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote