Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #1

Another Rust Coming From Battery Area With Photos

Just noticed rust coloured streak on pavement underneath the battery on our 2018 Apex Nano 187RB. I find it hard to believe there is enough metal to cause that much rust colour?

I have the TT parked at my workplace and I hope the owners don't get mad because free year round storage is hard to come by!

I will be removing the battery and housing and brushing and painting that area but I would ask:

Can battery acid or other cause asphalt to turn red like that? I noticed some other paved areas to turn red colour for some strange reason?

What would you do? Thanks for your help! Loving our TT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_164733_resized.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	215311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_164750_resized.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	215312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_164846_HDR_resized.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	215313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_172454_resized.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	215314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_172543_resized.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	215315  

“Our first camping trip was pouring rain the first day so we just went in our trailer and watched a movie while the tenters were swimming”
eggman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #2

leaking battery acid???

If the battery was leaking it could have caused the paint to peel away exposing the raw metal. The metal rusting is causing that red stain. I would definitely remove and inspect everything. What you are seeing is unusual in my experience.
d50erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
Brake is on left

Hard to tell, but are there open holes on the bottom of the battery box?
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Team

It appears that the battery either leaked or boiled over at some point and the acid removed the paint from the supports. I would remove the battery and box ( most are not attached) sand the L brackets and repaint with an epoxy paint. Do not seal the holes in the bottom of the battery box as it will collect water and need to drain.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

it's iron oxide (rust)staining the concrete, might come off with some bleach but might bleach the concrete too.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
RV There Yet?

CLR will clean that stain right up too. get the metal sanded and repainted and you should be good to go.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

Thanks Everyone. I will try your suggestions. I think there is 4 holes in the bottom of the battery box. That sure seems like a lot of rust for such a small amount of metal. I will reply again when I finish trying to clean that mess up.

“Our first camping trip was pouring rain the first day so we just went in our trailer and watched a movie while the tenters were swimming”
Old 09-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Rust on cement

CLR is a good choice for rust removal. We also used TSP on concrete when we lived in military housing as all stains had to be removed. So if the CLR doesn't take care of it try some TSP.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #9

We date ourselves when we say TSP.
When I lived in CA, we used it all the time in our Deck Coatings business.
I had a friend there recently ask about cleaning his coating - I told him TSP - he said what's that?
Seems it's not sold in CA and other states anymore.
But every box store in NC has it.

Progress
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #10

Thanks guys. They say to wash your walls with TSP before painting but I never knew anyone that did that... Maybe I will do the asphalt rust removal challenge...

Old 09-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDNC View Post
We date ourselves when we say TSP.
When I lived in CA, we used it all the time in our Deck Coatings business.
I had a friend there recently ask about cleaning his coating - I told him TSP - he said what's that?
Seems it's not sold in CA and other states anymore.
But every box store in NC has it.

Progress
Mark ,, yes we still are allowed to buy TSP here in CA. Perhaps Your friend must be younger? We are Painting spare bedroom and bought a box, yes I still use it.....
Never thought of using it for the drive way? I like BRAKE Cleaner.... But that might damage the cement sealing! If not sealed , it may clean it? I have used powdered laundry soap and brake cleaner mixed, using a broom to get stubborn stains out! Add water and keep scrubbing, till clean!

Cheers David
Old 09-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #12

Just bought some the other day at my local Home Depot.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #13

And if CLR doesn't do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
CLR will clean that stain right up too. get the metal sanded and repainted and you should be good to go.
And if CLR doesn't do it, you can get a gallon of muriatic acid industrial grade hydrochloric acid) pretty inexpensively at Lowe's. Wear disposable nitrile gloves and safety goggles. Pour a few ounces in a small container (e.g., used margarine tub or yoghurt container) and use a natural bristle brush to apply it.(Polyester brushes will become a gummy mess.) Rinse with lots of water.

You can also remove the rust from the trailer frame with the same stuff.

Before you put the battery back in the battery box, sprinkle some baking soda in the bottom. It will neutralize any acid drips or acid vapor from the battery that condenses on the inside of the box.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #14

Thanks Larry for the tip on using baking soda in the battery box....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
It appears that the battery either leaked or boiled over at some point and the acid removed the paint from the supports. I would remove the battery and box ( most are not attached) sand the L brackets and repaint with an epoxy paint. Do not seal the holes in the bottom of the battery box as it will collect water and need to drain.
I disagree with the holes in the battery box. I have several battery boxes, in my boats, camper, etc. There is no hole in the bottom of any of them.

There is a cover which snaps on and prevents water from entering, unless it can flow up hill because those covers overlap the lower portion of the box.

Ive never had water in any of them, even though a couple are exposed to the elements constantly. And to say it rains a lot in S Louisiana is a gross understatement.

the very idea of the box is to contain whatever spills from the battery.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #16

If CLR doesn't do the job, my next option would be Iron Out. I use Iron Out in my water softener to clean the media, the clear housing on my whole house water filter and have used it on rust stains in sinks. Don't go overboard with it, it IS an acid. But I think it is less potent than Muriatic acid. I buy the dry powder version.
https://www.menards.com/main/housewa...0175206&ipos=4
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #17

Its asphalt not concrete that the stain is on. Suggesting products based on the premise that its concrete could cause damage to the asphalt.
d50erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
Site Team

I agree with you on the battery box for the boat. They are usually in a protected area and do not get water in them and you do not want anything running out of the bottom. This is different for a tongue mounted battery box. Most of them have venting in the lid and in a good rain will fill with water if you do not have a drain hole. There have been several posts of members with battery issues when the battery box filled with water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I disagree with the holes in the battery box. I have several battery boxes, in my boats, camper, etc. There is no hole in the bottom of any of them.

There is a cover which snaps on and prevents water from entering, unless it can flow up hill because those covers overlap the lower portion of the box.

Ive never had water in any of them, even though a couple are exposed to the elements constantly. And to say it rains a lot in S Louisiana is a gross understatement.

the very idea of the box is to contain whatever spills from the battery.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
A lot of Dealers and Owners drill holes in the bottom of battery boxes to secure them to the battery support rails. Some owners even drill holes because they want the boxes to drain.

The damage the OP is experiencing is the usual result in both cases.

Some battery box covers have vents in them that do allow water to enter if exposed to rain. If the box is exposed to rain just lay a piece of 2x12, or cut to size piece of plywood over the box when parked and DO Not drill holes in the box.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman2112 View Post
Thanks guys. They say to wash your walls with TSP before painting but I never knew anyone that did that... Maybe I will do the asphalt rust removal challenge...
That was standard practice for oil based (alkyd) paints of old. Smoke residue and film from cooking could build up on the paint and new paint often peeled in sheets after a while if they weren't washed with TSP.

The trend today is to use flat finish paints and they provide more grip even if contaminated with the normal residue people create from cooking/smoking.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery