Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Antenna and furnace question

Hi all,

We have a 2016 Apex 300bhs that we've owned for just over 3 months. We took our 5th trip in it this weekend and have a few questions.

Antenna- Our antenna is a digital antenna. In the park everyone's antenna's were "up" whereas ours doesn't have a crank. Is there another way to put this up, or does ours not do that?

Furnace- The furnace does not heat the bunkhouse at all. Here are two issues we found. There are two "vents" in the rear, one above the step for the bed, and one next to the tv mount area. These do not serve a purpose, but are completely open to the outdoor kitchen. This means; bugs can get in, cold air can get in, heat can escape. I believe the purpose of these are to allow air flow to the outdoor fridge.

When we first purchased this someone mentioned that their bunk didn't get warm (same model). We grabbed an electric heater from home and that made all the difference in the world, but before that the bunk was staying around 53-55 degrees. Is this normal? What can we do to correct this?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

The antenna on my 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express does not go up and down. Just press the button where the TV cable plugs in (for me it's in the open shelf under the TV) till the red light comes on. It's actually GREAT that I don't have to remember to put it back down before leaving! It's either on or off. No other adjustments possible.

My bunkhouse in the FE has 3 vents. 2 from the outdoor kitchen to the shelving area, and one near the floor on the wall between the bathroom and shelving area. The curtain covers it up unless you move it. I first thought I wasn't getting any heat back there either until I found the vent. Now, when it's cold and I'm not using an electrical heater, I just put the long part of the curtain on a shelf to keep it out of the way. Check there.

All the heat vents are on one side of the camper. So whichever side your other heater vents are on, check closely on that side near the floor.

2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
The antenna on my 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express does not go up and down. Just press the button where the TV cable plugs in (for me it's in the open shelf under the TV) till the red light comes on. It's actually GREAT that I don't have to remember to put it back down before leaving! It's either on or off. No other adjustments possible.

My bunkhouse in the FE has 3 vents. 2 from the outdoor kitchen to the shelving area, and one near the floor on the wall between the bathroom and shelving area. The curtain covers it up unless you move it. I first thought I wasn't getting any heat back there either until I found the vent. Now, when it's cold and I'm not using an electrical heater, I just put the long part of the curtain on a shelf to keep it out of the way. Check there.

All the heat vents are on one side of the camper. So whichever side your other heater vents are on, check closely on that side near the floor.
That is where the vent for the heater is, toward the bottom of the bunk floor, on the kitchen side. I can feel minimal amounts of heat coming from there but it isn't doing it's job. The info about the antenna is hugely helpful. I will check if its on the audio/tv system itself.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #4

You may have some crimped or crushed ducting if you found the right vent, can feel SOME heat, but not "enough". How does it compare to the output of the vent furthest toward the front? For me that would be the vent under the kitchen sink area that points toward the bedroom. If they are about equal distance from the heating unit they should produce about equal flow and heat.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Yeah, there is no heat for the back. As us engineers say "Working as designed, not as expected".

Told by Coachman that's it's designed this way. The vents in the back are for the outside fridge to vent heat into the TT when the outside kitchen door is shut.

I was told directly by Coachman that if you want heat in there, you run the furnace and turn on the AC fan through the thermostat. That will circulate and mix the air throughout the trailer. I think that's a bit overkill to get heat in the bunk room. And if you are on 12v only, I guess you make the best of it.

I usually only do full hookups, so I use a little electric heater for the bunk room. It's quiet and works great for the space.

Tags
antenna, furnace