Old 05-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Any Catalina 283 RKS owners?

As we have outgrown our 2005 Coachmen Cascade DLX 218 FL, we have ordered in a 283RKS. Does anyone here have this model?

After going back and forth between Springdale & Coachmen in similar layouts, I feel the Coachmen to be the best bang for the buck. I realize our '05 was before FR took over Coachmen but we have honestly had no non user created problems with it. After browsing other manufacturers forums it seems they all have their own issues no matter what the price point so we just went with the one we liked the best within our budget.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon

We really like ours. One suggestion is to have them install a door over the refrigerator.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Pretty nifty idea. Is yours the 251? I really wanted the seperate door to the kitchen but wanted the 2 chairs more so I went with the 283. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreteCoater View Post
Pretty nifty idea. Is yours the 251? I really wanted the seperate door to the kitchen but wanted the 2 chairs more so I went with the 283. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours!
I'm sorry! What a difference one digit makes, eh?

We went with the 253 RKS because it was important to have full access to the kitchen with the slide in and a separate door to the bathroom.
However, those two chairs look really inviting!
Old 05-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

Has anyone had a problem with the high profile of f their TT, we just bought a Catalina 24.3 RBS and seem to have a problem on the highway with the TT causing a little sway in my Silverado. And yes I have a Anti Sway bar! Could it be that I am not used to the higher profile trailer? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

I recommend getting everything weighed and ensure the trailer tongue weight is around 13% of the trailer's total weight. A tongue that is too light is prone to sway.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

283rks

We just purchased a new 2016 283rks and are going on our first trip tomorrow. We downsized from a Big Horn 3585RL and so far the DW is making the necessary adjustments of not having as much storage as we used to. The first thing I did was put proflex around all the outside joints where the peanut butter tape is and sealed it to prevent any issues. Secondly, I built a battery storage on top of the frame and cut off the between the frame(Because I want two batteries) I also installed a 2 battery cutoff instead of disconnecting at the battery. I have lots of mods I plan to make. I miss having a light in the basement as well, but soon plan to solve that issue too!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepuhuh View Post
We just purchased a new 2016 283rks and are going on our first trip tomorrow. We downsized from a Big Horn 3585RL and so far the DW is making the necessary adjustments of not having as much storage as we used to. The first thing I did was put proflex around all the outside joints where the peanut butter tape is and sealed it to prevent any issues. Secondly, I built a battery storage on top of the frame and cut off the between the frame(Because I want two batteries) I also installed a 2 battery cutoff instead of disconnecting at the battery. I have lots of mods I plan to make. I miss having a light in the basement as well, but soon plan to solve that issue too!
Please post after your trip and let me know how you like it! Ours is "supposedly" to be off the line on the 20th and at the dealer by the end of next week. Hopefully all goes as scheduled as we have reservations for the 4th.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I'm sorry! What a difference one digit makes, eh?

We went with the 253 RKS because it was important to have full access to the kitchen with the slide in and a separate door to the bathroom.
However, those two chairs look really inviting!
We just traded our Flagstaff 25KS for the Catalina 253 RKS and love it. I have already rewired most things the way I want it. Installed the Surge Protector and Voltage reg into the RV. Mounted and wired in a switch with pilot light to be able to turn on the water heater on and off from the inside. Wired in a dimmer for the LED strip under the awning. I find it pretty bright and like to control that. Also wired in a little fan for the fridge.

Pics to follow...

Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

we thoroughly enjoyed it for the week we camped in it.
Next mods I did was traded out all the auto light bulbs with LED light bulbs to use less battery .

Tags
cat, catalina