Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

Any Clipper 16B owners?

Picked me up a leftover 2013 16B a couple of months back and really enjoy it. I was wondering how many 16B owners there are on here and what you have done to make it yours?

So far the only thing I have done is add an exhaust fan to the vent in the bathroom.
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

The DW and I nabbed a 2013 17FQ earlier this year. The previous owners (it looks like they took it out once, if that often) used command hooks to hang their decor. No holes to fill, easy, clean removal. We've continued their trend.

I wish it had a tandem axle, but other than that, we're super happy with it.

We got some frosted contact film (self-adhesive style) and put it across the front window. That allows us to have the window open for light but privacy as well. I also plan to take advice given to me here on this forum to replace the light bulbs over the bed with softer, dimmer LEDs. This way, they shouldn't blind us, and it should reduce radiated heat (we primarily camp in the summer at the beach).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #3

We picked up a 2014 17FQ and love it! Over the years We've gone from tent camping to a pop-up and now this. I know compared to most rigs it's pretty small but to us it feels fantastic.

Mods: Replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs was my first - and very easy - mod. Then added a towel bar and robe hook in the bath along with a towel ring to the right of the sink for a dish drying towel.

But by far the biggest mod (so far) was to knock out the unused panel above the heater and fab up a drawer in it's place. Seemed like a no brainer as there was no where for silverware, utensils, etc. to go.

Next up is to replace the single light over the bed with twin LED reading lamps. And I'm still thinking of ways to better use the cabinet space. Some shelves would be great but you can't fit a full width shelf through the relatively narrow door opening.

Barry & Rose

PS. K4RGD, that's a great idea about "frosting" the front glass.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #4

I like the frosting idea too but do like to have a view out as well. I was thinking something similar to the blinds on the other windows.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Thought about blinds, but the idea of keeping taught enough to prevent sag was too much (and difficult to mount).

The contact paper was the DW's idea. I can't take credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
We picked up a 2014 17FQ and love it! Over the years We've gone from tent camping to a pop-up and now this. I know compared to most rigs it's pretty small but to us it feels fantastic.

Mods: Replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs was my first - and very easy - mod. Then added a towel bar and robe hook in the bath along with a towel ring to the right of the sink for a dish drying towel.

But by far the biggest mod (so far) was to knock out the unused panel above the heater and fab up a drawer in it's place. Seemed like a no brainer as there was no where for silverware, utensils, etc. to go.

Next up is to replace the single light over the bed with twin LED reading lamps. And I'm still thinking of ways to better use the cabinet space. Some shelves would be great but you can't fit a full width shelf through the relatively narrow door opening.

Barry & Rose

PS. K4RGD, that's a great idea about "frosting" the front glass.
I would love to see that drawer mod! We both looked at that spot and wondered why they didn't put a drawer there! I assumed it wasn't done to allow for an air space above the furnace. Thought maybe it would be a fire hazard adding it so I have left it alone.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Kenrod,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Just happened to see your request today. I did take some pics and will attempt to attach then later.

First thing I did was to check the required clearance above the heater and that wasn't a problem.Basically I used standard drawer slides from HD mounted front at the drawer opening. Buy the "self closing " ones as that helps hold the drawer in place while traveling. The slides I used were just a bit short to reach to the back wall of the inside of the cabinet so glued & screwed 1" blocks to the back wall. Drawer itself was straight forward, just like one in a kitchen cabinet.

Barry

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

Adding a drawer

Kenrod,

Here's some pics of the drawer addition in my 17FQ. I took off the side panel off (inside the cabinet under the sink) to confirm there was room above the heater. I also checked the heater manual which says you need less than an inch clearance above it.

The drawer measures 20" deep x 9 1/2" wide x 6" deep. I used 22" drawer slides but found I had to add a 1" board (screwed and glued) to the back wall of the cabinet.

This seems like something that Coachmen would have added. It's very handy to have a place for silverware and utensils.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawer Loaction.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	66762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawer.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	66763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Cabinet.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	66764  

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #9

Thanks for posting the pics of that great mod/job you did.
Very Nice!
Looks like I got me a winter project to work on!
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #10

That looks great, I wish there was a place in my 16B for a drawer.

2016 Clipper 17RD
2011 Silverado
Old 11-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #11

Did you have to create the drawer or is it a standard size that can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot?
CampLife2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #12

I built the drawer out of hardwood plywood. Sides are 1/2" and the bottom is 1/8" ply. Dressed up the front with a piece of red oak stained as close to the interior color as I could get. All materials can be found at HD or Lowes.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #13

You should sell those as kits. It's niche, but I would buy one.
CampLife2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #14

Barry,
I saw your message and you may already have my response. My Clipper is an hour away but I would be happy to get you the measurements you are asking for next time I get out to it. Maybe in the next few weeks.
Two comments now that I have seen your pictures.
1) NICE JOB!
2) My Clipper has the fuse panel overhead, not just above the furnace as in your pictures. I can't remember what is there if anything. That being said I might be able to configure two drawers.

TV: Chrysler T&C
TT: Coachmen Clipper 17FQ
MV: West Wight Potter 15
CrifasiRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #15

CrifasiRF,

I'm checking with another owner to see if they have easy access to their camper. I was thinking that the width of the furnace determines the cabinet width so that's going to be the same.

I noticed that the fuse panel had been moved to the upper cabinet on the 2015 models. While it's not clear why they did that, it sure makes it easier to work on if/when needed. Where it's located on mine you basically have to get down on the floor to see the thing.

Room for two drawers? That doubles the bonus of adding drawers!

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado
Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #16

Barry,
I definitely like the idea of two drawers, especially that deep. I'll have to check mine next time I get there. I'll take the measurements and some pictures. What else might be back there? I was thinking of putting an aluminum plate just above the furnace for safety, leaving any needed air space in between. I love having the Clipper out at Spruce Run next to my boat but miss having them close at hand when questions like these come up.
The positioning of the fuse box seemed like a no brainer until I noticed not all versions had them there. I lucked out for the reasons you stated. I also noted the furnace in different placements on some of the others. I'm glad my furnace and fuse box are where they are.
Bob

Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #17

Barry,
I just went on line and found a video tour. (Can't seem to insert a screen capture here.) New 2015 Coachmen RV Clipper Ultra-Lite 17FQ Travel Trailer at Sun Camper Liquidators | Fort Pierce, FL | #CVN-41

No measurements but looking at it I am remembering that this is the same configuration as mine. The furnace is centered vertically, give or take a few inches. The CO monitor is mounted in the side panel at the bottom. That would interfere with a second drawer on the bottom unless I made it stop before that, or moved the detector. Not a great idea in terms of liability. Where it is seems optimal anyway.

I'm not sure if that helps.

Bob

Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 AM   #18

Bob,

Sounds Like you got some of the features on the newer model. When we bought our 2014 model earlier this year the 2015's were already out. Mostly minor changes so we were happy with the earlier version.

As for the CO2 detector it might not extend back into the cabinet too far. So it may not even interfere with a drawer.

Barry

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB

Colorful Colorado