Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #1

anyone do a suspension upgrade in a 321 Freedom Express

Looking to do a suspension upgrade in our 321 Freedom Express with the wide stance axels. Looking at MorRyde but wanted to see if anyone has done this upgrade to the wide axels, thanks.

Buzzcut39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #2

Last camper I had, a Jayco, had the wide stance axle setup. I replaced the shackle bolts with the Moryde wet bolts also replaced the center hanger with Lippert hanger, big improvement in ride and handling well worth the experience and effort to make the change.

Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

I do not believe MorRyde makes a upgraded equalizer that will fit the wide stance FE trailers. The spread axle equalizer on my 246RKS was 14 5/8" wide. Lippert does make one that is a direct replacement though. I would suggest using the MorRyde wet bolt kit though as they have the 1/2" thick shackles where the Lippert wet bolt kit has standard ones. That's what I did with my Lippert Equa-Flex upgrade (MorRyde wet bolt kit). About the only other option would be to add the Roadmaster Comfort Ride shock system (formerly sold as the Joy Rider shock system). I thought about it for mine, but I held off and want to make a few trips with just the Equa-Flex upgrade since my trailer is mid-sized. I may add it later though.

I looked at a video for the FE321, nice layout!

Here is the Equa-Flex for the spread axles. It's part number 314336. It has bronze bushings already installed, however the two hanger bushings are on the outer 1/3 only (inner and outer 1/3). Mine should go in this weekend. I'm pressing out the short 1/3 bushings and replacing them with the full width MorRyde ones from that kit.

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #4

I also added the 314336 Equa Flex, warning it raises your camper about 1".
I still had bounce and added this to the rear axle, which helped. Will add another to the front axle in the future.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea.../LC281281.html
Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #5

This was the original I removed after 1 year, plastic bushings were shot.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

Just upgraded (2weeks ago) my 312qbud wide track with Moryde Cross brace and wet bolts. RV shop had to contact moryde to get the part number as it is a special order. took out last weekend and made a big difference in handling.
mbdearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Replies

Thanks for the info, at the very least I'll put in the Heavy duty shackle and wet bolt upgrade kit for now but will call MorRyde first. Dward let us know how your install goes this weekend.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcut39 View Post
Thanks for the info, at the very least I'll put in the Heavy duty shackle and wet bolt upgrade kit for now but will call MorRyde first. Dward let us know how your install goes this weekend.
I added MorRyder heavy duty shackles and wet bolts and copper bushings last year. I want to stress that you have the equipment to do this for safety sake. You will be under the unit and beating out the current bolts and bushings with a heavy hammer. the unit must be level and on a hard surface to support heavy duty jacks to hold your unit up and with stand any movement of the unit when hitting the bolts in and out. The bolts that come out and bolts that go in have small burs/ridges to keep the bolts from spinning around. You will have to 'Drive' or C-Clamp, them out and new ones back in. the bolts going in Must be 'Seated' to the frame/hanger. Also, have a plan with the copper bushings to tap them in as they can easily get distorted. Clean the bolt holes really well after the plastic bushing is out and grease up the copper bushing and know that when you dent one copper bushing up to where it is useless, the local hardware RV store has replacements to use. I think that I use a long #10mm socket to tap the plastic bushing out.

I messed up one copper bushing and also one bolt was not a 'wet bolt'....
I went to the Local RV parts place and they had ALL of the SAME parts that I got in the MorRyder kit.... Same stuff.... at more than 25% cheaper....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:22 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcut39 View Post
Well, rain delay on the install.

But it gave me time to decide to just go ahead and pull the trigger on a Roadmaster Comfort Ride shock system also. Figure since I will have everything off, I might as well. I've been on the fence on the Roadmaster as it was another $495, but I keep reading what a difference it makes. I have to drop the axles anyway as I have one spring that the prior owner appears to have flattened out. Springs are cheap, so I'm replacing all 4 and the Equa-Flex was purchased at the same time as the springs. Roadmaster should be here by Wednesday or so.

"Might as well" is an expensive phrase!
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 AM   #10

Upgrade

Pictures please of the install! Have fun

Tags
freedom, freedom express, suspension, upgrade