Old 02-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #21

Want to wish you safe travel. My wife and I are now in Destin, Florida. This is our fourth trip from Northern, Indiana. We are leaving next week. We always winterize our unit before leaving and stay in a hotel in Bowling Green, Kentucky. When we get home we put our unit back into a heated storage area. We always put antifreeze into our unit. I have talked to people that blow out their lines using an air compressor and regulator so you don't damage your lines. What ever you chose to do there are so many good people out there that are willing to lend you a helping hand. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #22

If the day time temps stay above 32 don't worry about it, just use your fresh water pump on the way home. I been checking weather because we are leaving in the beginning of March. I don't see a problem yet. But it's been a weird year for weather.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #23

You could try winterizing everything except the toilet. Use gallon jugs of water & refill as needed along the way to flush toilet. I keep some handy in a milk crate in the shower, set on a piece of carpet to prevent movement. Keep a large plastic bowl in bath & kitchen sinks ( close drains), and use your water jugs. Dump this dirty water outside or down the toilet. Add antifreeze as needed to toilet or tank heater/ Artic Pac. Then dump only black tank as needed along the way & upon your return. Use the RV Parks showers. I just did this last week as I live in mountains but was traveling to L.A. for the week and didn't want to hassle unwinterizing yet.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by papakilo View Post
You had better check on which campgrounds are open.
No worries there. I have already contacted the same 3 campgrounds we stayed at when we came down in the fall and they are all open.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
You could always boondock if campgrounds are not open. I did that both going down and coming back from Florida
That would be a last resort, but we know it might be necessary.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears1985 View Post
Want to wish you safe travel. My wife and I are now in Destin, Florida. This is our fourth trip from Northern, Indiana. We are leaving next week. We always winterize our unit before leaving and stay in a hotel in Bowling Green, Kentucky. When we get home we put our unit back into a heated storage area. We always put antifreeze into our unit. I have talked to people that blow out their lines using an air compressor and regulator so you don't damage your lines. What ever you chose to do there are so many good people out there that are willing to lend you a helping hand. Good luck!
Thanks for the good wishes! She wants to use the trailer on the way home if at all possible so I guess that is how we will try to do it unless the weather forecasts just put a "chill" on those plans! It's easy to dictate how you want things when your not the one doing the work or dealing with the workings of the plan! If I can get us to the third stop in Northern Kentucky before having to winterize, then we are less than 8 hours from home and I suspect we should be good if I winterize there.

Our unit will be going back to the dealership after we get it home and unpack things. They still have a laundry list of unaddressed issues from last fall and a few new additions since we have been down in Florida. Warranty clock is ticking and want to get it to them early in the season before they get swamped. I just can't guarantee that they will move it straight into the service bay when we get it there so it needs to be winterized. I might even have them do it over once I get there just to play it safe.

Safe travels to you and yours as well.

J
Old 02-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If the day time temps stay above 32 don't worry about it, just use your fresh water pump on the way home. I been checking weather because we are leaving in the beginning of March. I don't see a problem yet. But it's been a weird year for weather.
That was what I was thinking. Even if temps drop a little below freezing at night, the enclosed underbelly and furnace running should keep things warm and working. Like I stated in an earlier post, our last stop will be northern Ky so hopefully it will stay warm enough until then.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #28

Just got back to OH from FL yesterday. Winterising on the road is not that tough. Do the things mentioned in previous posts on this thread but don't forget to drain or remove coach and refrigerator water filters. Two gallons of WalMart antifreeze is all it took.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #29
Just A Member

Since you live in Lansing and own a Coachman are you taking it back to Gillette's RV for warranty work ? I have an appointment to get mine in there next week for warranty work also but still have 6 inched of snow on the roof and it is has a cover on it so no shoveling it off. It says 55 today and 50 tomorrow with rain so maybe it will melt and I can uncover it by Monday. Hope to get a jump on it before all the RV shows and the service bays are full of new RV's to deliver. I have plumping work to be done but knowing how long it will probably be there we may not need to get winterized again before we get them back. I hope to have it back before camping season starts in May. Have a save drive home.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
Since you live in Lansing and own a Coachman are you taking it back to Gillette's RV for warranty work ? I have an appointment to get mine in there next week for warranty work also but still have 6 inched of snow on the roof and it is has a cover on it so no shoveling it off. It says 55 today and 50 tomorrow with rain so maybe it will melt and I can uncover it by Monday. Hope to get a jump on it before all the RV shows and the service bays are full of new RV's to deliver. I have plumping work to be done but knowing how long it will probably be there we may not need to get winterized again before we get them back. I hope to have it back before camping season starts in May. Have a save drive home.
Yep, going to Gillette. My appt to drop it off is March 5th to finish the list I had for them last fall, but was not completed before we came south for the winter. Parts that they needed to order back then "should" be there now but I also have a half dozen other smaller things as well to add to the list!! Hopefully, things will go quickly.

I was thinking the same about getting it in early. One of the main reasons we are heading home when we are instead of enjoying the warm weather and sunshine another month or so. I know they were swamped from the MSU RV show at the end of Jan. but you would hope that any "in stock" trailers they sold then will be buttoned up service wise now and any new build orders are likely not there yet. I want mine back by May 1st if possible and will let them know that when I drop it off. I also plan to give them a jingle every couple of weeks just to get an "update" on their progress as well as make sure they know that I expect them to finish on time. Good luck!

Tags
trailer, winter, winterize