Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Just got back to OH from FL yesterday. Winterising on the road is not that tough. Do the things mentioned in previous posts on this thread but don't forget to drain or remove coach and refrigerator water filters. Two gallons of WalMart antifreeze is all it took.
With it being a travel trailer and a 2 way fridge without any ice makers or water dispensers, the only filter I know of is the external one connected to the city water line. Am I missing something??

blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I was thinking the same about getting it in early. One of the main reasons we are heading home when we are instead of enjoying the warm weather and sunshine another month or so. I know they were swamped from the MSU RV show at the end of Jan. but you would hope that any "in stock" trailers they sold then will be buttoned up service wise now and any new build orders are likely not there yet. I want mine back by May 1st if possible and will let them know that when I drop it off. I also plan to give them a jingle every couple of weeks just to get an "update" on their progress as well as make sure they know that I expect them to finish on time. Good luck!
As a veteran of Gillette, I highly recommend you make that call every week. I took mine in a couple years back for a wheel bearing repack. 1st call back I was behind another trailer. Called back in a couple of days and now I was 2 trailers back.

We "discussed" how it was possible to lose a place in line (for a quick wheel bearing repack, for them anyway). It was then done by the end of the next day.

Ok people, just stay on top of them.

Unfortunately they are no longer owed by the Gillette family, and have not been for several years. We bought our first popup then a 5th from the old man, years ago. Good man he was.

wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
As a veteran of Gillette, I highly recommend you make that call every week. I took mine in a couple years back for a wheel bearing repack. 1st call back I was behind another trailer. Called back in a couple of days and now I was 2 trailers back.

We "discussed" how it was possible to lose a place in line (for a quick wheel bearing repack, for them anyway). It was then done by the end of the next day.

Ok people, just stay on top of them.

Unfortunately they are no longer owed by the Gillette family, and have not been for several years. We bought our first popup then a 5th from the old man, years ago. Good man he was.
Will take that advice to heart. I do know that they had to scramble to get mine back to me by Nov 1 last year. They had it for two months and knew from the get go that the AC wasn't working right. When I called them on a Friday afternoon, with about a week before we were due to pick it up, they said they hadn't gotten to the AC yet. With us going to Florida, I made sure they knew that it was critical that the AC was fixed. Guess they had 2 techs work OT on Saturday to install and test a new AC unit. So although they did drag their feet, when put to the fire, they came thru on the important stuff for me before my deadline. I got the impression that a LOT of shuffling of trailers occurs in the service bays as needed. I also suspect that they try to get the "cash" customers first followed by less lucrative warranty work.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #34

If you have never winterized your tlr just get out the manual and familurize yourself with procedure. Locate low point drains, hot water bypass valves and valve & hose on water pump. I dont dump in drains as I let enough run to take care of them. Also dont forget socket for HW plug. O think most are 1&1/16. You will find it takes longer to dewinterize. Im camping in eastern OK right now. Good luck.
Days Camped 2016 91, 2017 110
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrawers View Post
If you have never winterized your tlr just get out the manual and familurize yourself with procedure. Locate low point drains, hot water bypass valves and valve & hose on water pump. I dont dump in drains as I let enough run to take care of them. Also dont forget socket for HW plug. O think most are 1&1/16. You will find it takes longer to dewinterize. Im camping in eastern OK right now. Good luck.
I think I am about set to give it a go. Already located low point drains, bypass valves, a socket with extension for the WH drain plug and the water pump. Actually installed a Camco Pump Converter Winterizing Kit on the pump and tested it all using a couple gallons of water I pulled from the tap prior to shutting off the city water connection. At first I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I discovered that I installed the 3 way valve backwards! DOH!

On a positive note however, while troubleshooting why the 3 way valve wasn't working properly, I discovered a debris filter on the input to the water pump that I never knew was there. Not much to it other than a piece of screen inside the plastic enclosure with a clear, removable cap. Already had a bunch of junk in it and if I hadn't installed the kit, I might not have seen it and in the near future, I would have wondered why the pump flow was so low.

Oh, and to update this thread, we are now postponing our trip north for another week. Guess there is a rather large winter storm predicted for Michigan this coming Wed/Thurs where they could get a foot of snow followed by blowing and below freezing weather into next weekend. Gonna wait until Mar 7th to try and get home now. I don't know how I am going to be able to put up with yet ANOTHER week in Florida but I will try my hardest!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Oh, and to update this thread, we are now postponing our trip north for another week. Guess there is a rather large winter storm predicted for Michigan this coming Wed/Thurs where they could get a foot of snow followed by blowing and below freezing weather into next weekend. Gonna wait until Mar 7th to try and get home now. I don't know how I am going to be able to put up with yet ANOTHER week in Florida but I will try my hardest!
Good choice. It is going to be a bit dicey here midweek. They started out on intellicast predicting 9 to 15 inches, but have cut it back to 6 to 11 over two days. We just had a wind storm on Friday, that blew out our power for a day. Now back to fun snow. Winter is far from over.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Lots of great info in the FAQ

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f225/

Personally, I would stay in the camper on the way home even if it is freezing (NOT SNOWING! ).
If it is well below freezing on the drive home; run the heat on high while you button up the camper and keep your legs under 8 hours and it should still be fine when you get it parked. I also run the holding tank heaters when driving.
They will cycle to keep the tanks at 40-50 degrees.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #38

Quote:
I think I am about set to give it a go. Already located low point drains, bypass valves, a socket with extension for the WH drain plug and the water pump. Actually installed a Camco Pump Converter Winterizing Kit on the pump and tested it all using a couple gallons of water I pulled from the tap prior to shutting off the city water connection. At first I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I discovered that I installed the 3 way valve backwards! DOH!

On a positive note however, while troubleshooting why the 3 way valve wasn't working properly, I discovered a debris filter on the input to the water pump that I never knew was there. Not much to it other than a piece of screen inside the plastic enclosure with a clear, removable cap. Already had a bunch of junk in it and if I hadn't installed the kit, I might not have seen it and in the near future, I would have wondered why the pump flow was so low.

If you though the little screen pre filter before the pump restricted your input flow,you just Decreased it more with that 3 way valve! Look at the bore of the valve! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (5).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	100144   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (5).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	100145   Click image for larger version

Name:	005 (4).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	100146  
Old 02-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Lots of great info in the FAQ

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f225/

Personally, I would stay in the camper on the way home even if it is freezing (NOT SNOWING! ).
If it is well below freezing on the drive home; run the heat on high while you button up the camper and keep your legs under 8 hours and it should still be fine when you get it parked. I also run the holding tank heaters when driving.
They will cycle to keep the tanks at 40-50 degrees.
Yep, that was what I was thinking as well. However, I don't have tank heaters that I am aware of, just an enclosed underbelly and ducts running close to the tanks down there. Since I can't keep the furnace running while driving, that is where I became concerned with the temps being too low heading home.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you though the little screen pre filter before the pump restricted your input flow,you just Decreased it more with that 3 way valve! Look at the bore of the valve! Youroo!!
Yeah, I saw that after receiving it, but the pics you posted seem to be a LOT worse than the valve I have. But then again, I am getting old and the memory isn't what it used to be, even from one hour to the next!

Since we have only used the fresh water tank for keeping a few gallons handy to flush during stops so far(she wont use gas station/rest area facilities), and we intend to stay at full hookup sites on the way home, I went ahead and installed it to make it easier for me to winterize this time around. Will most likely look for a better 3 way valve when we get home.

Tags
trailer, winter, winterize