Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #11

Thanks for the reply! That's what I thought, but I have since removed the wood covering the area and the furnace is the only piece of equipment I see, in addition to the fuse box. How big is the converter? Could it be small enough that I'm missing it?

Thanks again.

PJRNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

Did you find the breaker panel? I think it is actually part of that. The breaker panel is accessed by just pushing on the top of the panel and it will open

As a good practice you should turn off the house main 30 amp breaker before plugging or unplugging shore power.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #13

Yes, been turning off different breakers, etc. trying to figure out the sound. Unfortunately, the 'skilled craftsman' who wrote down what breaker was connected to what circuit had a seizure while he was doing so....or so it appears! I can't read it. Looks like your spot on, though. The fan is built into the bottom of the breaker box. It's too cold here now for the darn fan to kick on. I'll try again this afternoon.
Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #14

PJ.. I think The fan only runs when charging the batteries. Once the batteries are charged then the converter/charger turns off. That may be why the fan is not operating. Turn on some lights (12v) and it should turn on once the battery draws down a bit.

If your panel is like mine, the main 30 amp house breaker is very top, left. I also could not read the marking. Luckily if a fuse blows they have it wired so a LED comes on next to the blown fuse.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
PJ.. I think The fan only runs when charging the batteries. Once the batteries are charged then the converter/charger turns off. That may be why the fan is not operating. Turn on some lights (12v) and it should turn on once the battery draws down a bit.

If your panel is like mine, the main 30 amp house breaker is very top, left. I also could not read the marking. Luckily if a fuse blows they have it wired so a LED comes on next to the blown fuse.
Fan runs when a certain load is placed on the 12v electrical system.
If you have a wfco converter the fans are known to go out then your converter overheats and fails.
Converter is ALWAYS charging system.

Turn on all your lights in camper and fan should run.
If it doesn't it is bad!

Turbs
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #16

Yes, it is WFCO, but it is working properly. Once a 12 volt load is applied, the fan goes on. Thanks everyone for your assistance. And by the way Apex folks, the forum directory will be modified in the future and will list Coachman brands.....including Apex. (Thanks Triguy)
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRNM View Post
Yes, it is WFCO, but it is working properly. Once a 12 volt load is applied, the fan goes on. Thanks everyone for your assistance. And by the way Apex folks, the forum directory will be modified in the future and will list Coachman brands.....including Apex. (Thanks Triguy)
What to watch for if fan ever quits.

Lights will go bright then dim and on and on.
When the fan quits the converter will overheat then she off "lights dim" then when it cools it will turn back on "lights bright" eventually the converter will overheat and never come back on.

Turbs
Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #18

We enjoyed a couple trips last summer. One was a pretty good haul up to Glacier in Montana from Oregon. Our only problem with the Apex has been the water heater not working. It was due to spider webs clogging a vent in the combustion chamber where it vents outside the trailer. There was a big whoosh of flame in the compartment. It was easily cleared at the dealer. No damage. We sealed up the area this winter to keep the bugs out.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
I just purchased a 2011 Apex 189 lightweight trailer by Coachmen a division of Forest River Inc and it would be nice to see a forum subgroup open up on the Apex.

Forest River Inc evidently acquired several other manufacturers including Coachmen.
Scribe, I used to own a 189. I had an issue with the refrigerator working off gas while towing. I don't know if you have thermometer in the fridge but you might want to get one and make sure you don't have the same issue.

My refrigerator would not maintain temp when towing on gas. It was fine on gas when stopped. I called Dometic and they sent me a kit to block the wind that was blowing out the gas flame. I think the arm for the awning was causing turbulence and it kept blowing out flame. After installing the baffles, no problem. No charge for the kit. Check it out

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #20

We also just purchased a 2013 Apex 22qbs.Still being built at Factory, expected date is late march.Did you get the Elite package, and the frameless windows?

vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, coachmen