Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Apex 215RBK

Just ordered a Coachmen Apex 215RBK with the elite package, electric awning and frameless windows.
Traded in my Surveyor SV233T. Hope I won't regret it.
Needed something smaller and easier to handle.
Anyone have any quality issues with Apex line?
KS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #2

We have had only one problem with our Apex 22QBS, the hot water bypass valve was open, so no hot water flow, an easy fix. Other than that very pleased with it, we also got the Elite pkg
Boscowtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

I have had a few issues.

Deadbolt lock tumblers faulty, so I got locked out. I brought it in, and they replaced the lock, now working well.
The screw covers (plastic cover that lines the entire trailer, about an inch wide) became brittle and cracked off. I have an appt set up to get that looked at. Service shop claims that is unusual?
The front, interior speaker has never worked. I will be getting that looked at when I take it in for the screw covers.

They are hopefully "relatively" minor repairs, we will see.
AggieTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #4

We also have a 2014 Apex 22qbs. Mostly minor problems, hot water bypass,tv and sat cables reversed etc. Only major issue was the electric awning stopped working. Turns out it was on a recall list, so Dometic(sp) sent a tech to the house and replaced the motor. Happy Camping.
vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

Just saw my new Apex 215RBK at the dealership for the first time! Very nice unit, exceeds my expectations.
Now just waiting for the snow to melt so I can clean out my trade-in and finalize the sale.
The elite package, electric awning, and frameless windows really dress up this unit nicely, and are just what I wanted.
Even though I did not order the '50th anniversary package', the decals on the camper say "50th Anniversary", did not expect that. Kind of like this anyhow since my wife and I will be married for 50 years in 10 months!
Not so sure if I like the new omni-directional TV antenna (without the crank handle) time will tell.
The white exterior with black trim looks really nice and the interior is well designed with lots of storage.
Will provide additional comments after more detailed inspection and after I get the unit home.
/Users/karlscharf/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2014/02/26/20140226-171518/DSC05534.JPG
Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #6

We have an Apex 258RKS, that is a year old now. Had the hardware on one cabinet come loose, and the decor panel over the kitchen table came loose. I have fixed one problem, the other is also an easy fix, just have not had time. We have been very happy with our trailer.
PJRNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

Hi. We're also getting excited. Upgraded our 13ft cikira to an Apex18bh. We go tomorrow for a predelivery inspection but won't bring it home until May. We still have 2ft of snow. So much for spring in Ontario. Ours also says 50th anniversary edition. We are adding the rock guard on the front. Hurry up spring. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395794110.644594.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	48420
Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlehouse View Post
Hi. We're also getting excited. Upgraded our 13ft cikira to an Apex18bh. We go tomorrow for a predelivery inspection but won't bring it home until May. We still have 2ft of snow. So much for spring in Ontario. Ours also says 50th anniversary edition. We are adding the rock guard on the front. Hurry up spring. Attachment 48420
Congrats.. I have a 2012 Apex 17rbx - double axle.

So far it has been good. However just minor issue that were covered under warranty - Locks for tent ends jammed, replaced. Lock on door jammed, replaced. One tent end leaked - adjusted and not leaked since.

These are all minor issues - overall I am happy with the unit.

Im with you on the spring, from Ontario too.
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS56 View Post
Just saw my new Apex 215RBK at the dealership for the first time! Very nice unit, exceeds my expectations.
Now just waiting for the snow to melt so I can clean out my trade-in and finalize the sale.
The elite package, electric awning, and frameless windows really dress up this unit nicely, and are just what I wanted.
Even though I did not order the '50th anniversary package', the decals on the camper say "50th Anniversary", did not expect that. Kind of like this anyhow since my wife and I will be married for 50 years in 10 months!
Not so sure if I like the new omni-directional TV antenna (without the crank handle) time will tell.
The white exterior with black trim looks really nice and the interior is well designed with lots of storage.
Will provide additional comments after more detailed inspection and after I get the unit home.
/Users/karlscharf/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2014/02/26/20140226-171518/DSC05534.JPG
I think you may like the omni-directional antenna. I have it on my 2013 Surveyor, and didn't like the idea at first. But now I really like it. No more crank coming down through the ceiling (had one once that leaked around the crank), no more remembering to retract it before leaving the campground. No more climbing on the roof to lubricate it in both the up and down positions. And it brings in faraway channels very well. Good high-def reception.

As I understand it, the antenna doubles as the radio antenna as well, and I get very good radio reception. So no separate radio antenna to fold down when putting the cover on the camper.

Fewer moving parts = a good thing, in my opinion.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I think you may like the omni-directional antenna. I have it on my 2013 Surveyor, and didn't like the idea at first. But now I really like it. No more crank coming down through the ceiling (had one once that leaked around the crank), no more remembering to retract it before leaving the campground. No more climbing on the roof to lubricate it in both the up and down positions. And it brings in faraway channels very well. Good high-def reception.

As I understand it, the antenna doubles as the radio antenna as well, and I get very good radio reception. So no separate radio antenna to fold down when putting the cover on the camper.

Fewer moving parts = a good thing, in my opinion.
Yes, I have also had some bad experiences with my crank-up antenna. The crank falling off was the latest issue!
Was just wondering if the TV reception was as good with the new omni-directional antenna.
The idea of this antenna also amplifying the radio signals is very good news. The FM radio reception has always been problematic to me, to the point were I had to rely on a portable 'super radio' to listen to my favorite FM stations.
Thanks for the response.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #11

Brought my Apex 215RBK home last week. What a great unit, totally impressed, actually much bigger then I had ever expected.
Lots of storage space inside and outside! Tows like a dream with my 8 cylinder Toyota 4Runner.
The 38" slide out really makes a difference! And the dinette is very large, wide enough and long enough to sleep 2 tall grandchildren once awhile when they come with us. Our third grandchild can sleep on a 27" wide memory foam tri-fold mattress that we store inside the corner shower.
Their sleeping bags fit nicely in one of the dinette storage compartments, and their suitcases in the huge storage compartment in the bathroom above the outside kitchen.
The master bedroom is small however, with a short queen mattress, and that is where the 7"-6" width (vs 8'-0") becomes noticeable. Very tight! But it will do OK for sleeping, and the mattress is quite comfortable.
The total length of the camper was limited to about 25' to fit in my 28' long driveway. The 215RBK was the shortest unit I could find with an outside kitchen. And that outside kitchen is absolutely fantastic, even has room for an ice-maker! My only complaint is that the slide out grill operates on the disposable propane bottles, would love to be able to run it from the camper propane system. Still working on this problem.
So, our first outing will be this upcoming Memorial Day Weekend, hopefully we will not encounter any issues, but if we do at least it will be under warranty.
Almost forgot to mention, I replaced ALL the incandescent bulbs with natural white LED bulbs purchased from M4LED.com.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #12

Our first trip to Allegany State Park went very well. The weather was perfect and I was very pleased with the new Apex 215RBK.
Only issues we had was that it was difficult to hitch, had to jog the trailer with the tow vehicle to be able to engage the hitch locking lever.
Also, when packing up, the slide out stopped retracting. Had to re extend it again and then it retracted normally.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
Baldguy41

KS56 we are about to pick up new 2015 215 RBK and have been looking at different posts concerning this model. Have you had any problems with the slide? We have been told you can extend the slide about 10" to get access to the bathroom, when pulling over for a stop. Would you agree? Also, do you use any form of support for the slide, when fully extended?
RL41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL41 View Post
KS56 we are about to pick up new 2015 215 RBK and have been looking at different posts concerning this model. Have you had any problems with the slide? We have been told you can extend the slide about 10" to get access to the bathroom, when pulling over for a stop. Would you agree? Also, do you use any form of support for the slide, when fully extended?
We have not had any problems with the slide. Very happy with this unit after one season of camping.
Yes, in order to access the bathroom, you do need to extend the slide.
You do not have to support the slide when fully extended.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
Baldguy41

Thanks for the reply. We are anxious to pick it up, but will have to wait for the snow to melt.
Congratulations on 50 years. We celebrated 52 on Ground Hog Day this year. I have no excuse if I ever forgot the day.
Thanks again and Happy Camping.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL41 View Post
Thanks for the reply. We are anxious to pick it up, but will have to wait for the snow to melt.
Congratulations on 50 years. We celebrated 52 on Ground Hog Day this year. I have no excuse if I ever forgot the day.
Thanks again and Happy Camping.
Congratulations to you also, I am betting that you will like your new camper very much when you finally get it home.
We are also waiting for the snow to melt here in Western NY so we can get ours out of storage and get it ready for the camping season.
We really love our Apex 215RBK.
If you are ever looking for a great campground, consider Allegany State Park, it is not all that that far from Ontario. We spend a lot of time there and never get tired of it.
Happy camping!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #17
Baldguy41

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425592200.361698.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	70764

This is one of our favourite camp grounds. Just 3kms from Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia.
Family owned, every site has view of the Atlantic, no charge for visitors, or in our case, grandkids putting up a pup tent, plus extra vehicle.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #18

I believe you have the schwintek slide system. Here is some good information that I stumbled across regarding slide operation.

Happy Camping!
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
Baldguy41

Thank you big time!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #20

Anytime!