Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Apex 259BHSS - before the purchase

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of questions in relation to a potential purchase of a new Coachmen Apex 259BHSS. I was looking at Jayco trailers and I like 25BHS White Hawk. Unfortunately, I do not like the bunk beds which I think could be better in Coachmen Apex 259BHSS (I will check the trailer physically on Sunday).

I have a couple of questions:

- are there any internet sellers where I could get a good offer or at least a quote? I am in California, but can drive for the trailer if it would make sense from a financial perspective.

- as I read, a good deal should be around 30-35% off MSRP. Is this correct? Where to find MSRP and not some random figures prepared by a dealer?

- where to find a list of an optional feature with the MSRP prices? This is available for Jayco, I cannot find it for Coachmen.

- I read that if I buy over internet, a local Coachmen dealer may refuse to repair my trailer under warranty. How does it work from the manufacturer perspective when the trailer is under warranty – do I need to ship the trailer to the factory for a repair?

- I am totally new to TT idea. I have an impression that people see Coachmen as less quality than Jayco. Is this a fair approach?

Thank you for your help!

kanar
kanarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanarek View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a couple of questions in relation to a potential purchase of a new Coachmen Apex 259BHSS. I was looking at Jayco trailers and I like 25BHS White Hawk. Unfortunately, I do not like the bunk beds which I think could be better in Coachmen Apex 259BHSS (I will check the trailer physically on Sunday).

I have a couple of questions:

- are there any internet sellers where I could get a good offer or at least a quote? I am in California, but can drive for the trailer if it would make sense from a financial perspective.
never seen any of the well-known "wholesalers" sell Coachmen Apex TTs.

- as I read, a good deal should be around 30-35% off MSRP. Is this correct? Where to find MSRP and not some random figures prepared by a dealer?
MSRP in the RV Industry IS random. dealers often make them up to suit them. don't know of anyplace to find "true" MSRP for RV's.

- where to find a list of an optional feature with the MSRP prices? This is available for Jayco, I cannot find it for Coachmen.
again, don't think there is such a thing unless you contact Coachmen directly.

- I read that if I buy over internet, a local Coachmen dealer may refuse to repair my trailer under warranty. How does it work from the manufacturer perspective when the trailer is under warranty – do I need to ship the trailer to the factory for a repair?
this is often true for the entire RV Industry, not just Coachmen, even happens to Jayco owners. most manufacturers will help find local dealers that will do the warranty work or you can have an independent RV shop do the work, as long as you pay up front and are willing to be reimbursed and get pre-approval from the manufacturer.
we bought our HTT in Chicago and brought it back to NorCal. FR found us local dealers that did the warranty work.

- I am totally new to TT idea. I have an impression that people see Coachmen as less quality than Jayco. Is this a fair approach?
i'd have to agree.

Thank you for your help!

kanar
for us, driving from California to Chicago and back, was worth the $4500 savings, even after subtracting the trip costs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:15 PM   #3

bikendan, this is very helpful, thank you!

In relation to MSRP - Jayco shows all prices on the website, including optional features prices.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #4

Bunks are big and roomy in the apex, top bunk is a little too close to ceiling but still ok. I have a 288bhs, have you thought of that model? Its actually lighter. The 259 has 2 slides and the jayco 1 so its a little different all together.
Quality is prolly pretty much the same on all these units, seems like there is no build qc!
The azdel outer walls on the apex really sided me towards the apex knowing if it leaks it wont delaminate. I think some jaycos use it too.
Good luck!
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #5

If it helps, we purchased a 259BHSS late last year and have been very happy with it. We also looked at the WhiteHawk 25BHS. Honestly, I had the same initial impression that Jayco was a higher quality. Look closely and I think you'll find they are very close.

I have no regrets with the 259BHSS. We haven't had any problems. We just returned from a 700 mile, 6 night trip and it could not have been better.

It's a bit heavier with the dual slides but it has lots of interior room as a trade off. If you want information on pricing feel free to PM me.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #6

Hello Guys! Many thanks for your input! We went yesterday to the dealer to check 259BHSS. Bunks are definitely better than in 25BHS, but all other things we liked in Jayco better. Therefore, we will focus on Jayco, either 25BHS or 28DSBH. I need to check a few things (storage, West Coast length restrictions in SP and NP, etc.).

Apart from the trailer itself, the sales person at Coachmen dealer was just... not very helpful. I do not expect a lot of the sales reps, especially, when I am buying a car, bike or... a trailer. I am doing my own research. But this person was not doing a good job

Thank you again!

kanar
Old 08-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

Well it has been almost exactly one year to the day we bought our 259bhss. The quality could be better, but then the price would be much higher. Overall the fit/finish is as good as this "class" of RV gets. It is not considered a luxury unit, and those cost 20-30% more, but the materials used inside certainly show it (probably still slapped together with the same staples used on mine). The Azdel sold me, coming from a pop up with all the luan rotted inside. I wanted as little chance of delam as possible.

My trailer is currently at a local dealer for warranty service. I saved up all the little things once I had a big thing to get done. My marker lights never worked on the front cap, my leds have a 3 bulb section that does not light. The indicator light on the shore power connection stopped working the 10th time I plugged it in. But the big thing was the furnace stopped working after one season. No ignition spark happening, and it's just too much of a pain in the butt to have to take one of those Suburban furnaces apart for me.

The only things design wise that are flawed is the hot air duct into the bedroom never blows cold, this is known in these units, not too big of a deal, but know your unit is not broken, it is poorly engineered. Also, the grey tank should be much bigger, but we use ours dry camping a lot and this is problematic for us on anything over 2 nights.
dive2deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:41 AM   #8

Im on my 24th day of use with my 288bhs. Pretty much no problems at all. Im handy and have rebuilt my whole house so tinkering on the camper is easy!
Most of the jaycos we looked at just had something we didnt like about the floor plan. Cabnets and what not seem to be pretty much same quality its just the people putting it together must make much less an hour!
Love the look of my apex! Slam lock storage door are awsome too!
The frame is pretty thin, hope that lasts and ill be happy.
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote