Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Apex Frameless, panel came out

This is on a Coachmen Apex trailer with frameless windows. More specifically, this frameless window has a fixed pane above, and two panes beneath that open (which seems to greatly complicate my problem).

Someone tried forcing the window open further from the outside, thinking they opened more than they do. This broke the two small rollers at the bottom and they came out of the track. That's problem #1. However, problem #2 is what I need to address for now. The entire window pane came out of the track / hinge above. I can't figure out how to get this window back into that hinge track. There is a set screw for each pane, and I've read that these windows can normally be slid out from the side. However, because these windows have a fixed window above, the design is different, and I see no way to slide the pane in from the side without dissembling the frame itself.

Considering that it popped out, it sure seems that it is within the realm of possibility to put it back in place. I've tried holding the window out at a 90 degree angle from the camper, and while pushing up rotating the window back down into position, but I can't get it to "hook" back in the track above.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures if needed, but I assume this is pretty standard on the Apex Frameless that have a fixed window above.

daneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #2

Can you post a picture?
Which model and which window is it?

Gerogesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #3

2016 Apex 300BHS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 23, 7 45 52 AM.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	208006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 23, 7 45 34 AM.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	208007  
Old 06-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #4

To answer my own question...

I removed the entire window assembly from the camper, and looked into disassembling the frame so I could slide the pane back in place. This does not appear to be possible without breaking the top fixed pane loose from the frame, and drilling out the rivets that hold the frame together. I wasn't comfortable trying to remove that top pane, and then adhering it back. It was just upping the ante too much if I was to break that pane trying to detach from the frame.

So what I ended up doing was removing the metal "hinge" piece from the top of the window pane that came out (using a flexible putty knife and a lot of patience). That allows the pane to sit back in place flush. Then I used automotive urethane windshield sealant (same stuff used to attach the metal to the glass originally) to glue the entire pane back into its place. Thus I ended up with a permanently fixed pane. Since I already had the assembly out and laying horizontal it was easy to just lay the pane on the frame where I wanted it. I'm not sure what would have to be rigged up to adhere it if the frame was still in the camper to hold it vertically in place (an option would be to roll your camper over on its side, and leave it that way for a few hours until the adhesive set).

This window is the closest to the door, so if I need ventilation without the AC I would probably have the door open anyway, and so the impact of not being able to open that window is small compared to windows in the bedrooms, etc (even though those would be much easier to fix).

Tags
frame