Old 10-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Apex Lemon

Well I guess there is a lemon in every bunch. I purchased my Apex 4 months ago and it has been in the shop for almost 2 of those. First I found a hole in the slide roof the day that I brought it home. Brought it back and after it sat there for two weeks they finally changed the hole roof on the slide out. Then we finally got to use it and noticed that the gasket on the slide out window would come off and I would find it on the ground. After putting it back in twice I noticed the gasket on the same side was tearing. The slide out was shifted too much to one side and needed to be adjusted. Another trip back for repairs! Been there for a month now because they had to order parts. It's supposed to be ready for this weekend but I haven't heard from dealer. I hope this is the last trip to dealership and the next trip will be to actually go camping. Hope you folks have better luck with your Apex!!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #2

We have an 18bh, no slides. It's a good solid little trailer. I have noticed that the newer ones have lighter frames and only 1 propane tank. For the desire to make trailers lighter, quality seems to be going down on many makes. I was wanting to go a bit bigger, but since most of them have thinner frames, I think we'll stick with our little one.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Mine's a 2016 279RSS. Got the call today to pick it up. Fingers crossed!! I didn't mention that I had a slide topper installed by Camping World and the first time I ran out the slide, the brackets ripped off of the wall and the topper landed on top of slide. They said there was nothing solid to fasten it to and they would not install it again. So now I have 10 screw holes in the side wall of my slide that need patching! I'm about to go crazy. LOL. I really like the simplicity of the trailer.( nothing fancy) but I could do without the headaches!!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

At the dealer and frustrated! Trailer has been here a month and not ready. They told me we were good to go and when I got here it's not. Not a happy camper right now! The issues with my trailer should have been fought before it left the factory... Model is RLSS.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

2, possibly 3 things wrong and you're calling it a Lemon?

I think that might be exaggerating a bit.

Also, 2-3 weeks in the shop is about normal for any single issue from my experience.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
2, possibly 3 things wrong and you're calling it a Lemon?

I think that might be exaggerating a bit.

Also, 2-3 weeks in the shop is about normal for any single issue from my experience.
I guess I was expecting after spending that kind of money not to have any major issues for at least a few months. You are right maybe lemon is not the right word but poor craftsmanship would be more accurate. I'm also dealing with inexperienced techs. I actually had to show them how to do adjustment on slide after I watched them struggle with it. All I'm saying is there is no excuse to let a trailer get out of the factory in that condition. What ever happened to taking pride in what you do? I have owned it for 4 months and its been at the dealer for warranty repairs for 2months. So should they reimburse me for 2 months notes? We know thats not gonna happen.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

I think you might have found part of your problem with the repairs, when you said you had slide toppers installed and they pulled off. Sounds like the service and warranty people might not be up to the task. You will also find several people that say Camping World has not been that fast or good at service and repairs.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

OP, if you think you have a lemon, I would be glad to trade you trailers.Ours has to go back to the factory in Feb (yes I have to tow it 300+ miles in snow and salt)to replace all the interior cabinets in the main part of the trailer,probably either a complete slide or they have to figure out how to make the wall opening 1" smaller,entire roof and 2 of the plywood sheets under it because someone forgot to install some under roof reinforcement,The ramp opening for the ramp is 1.5" out of square , the left side interior wall is bulged out between 1 and 1.5 inches in the bedroom/bath, the pinbox sits 4 degrees off square and 8 other small items.My wife does not even want this trailer anymore no matter WHO fixes it.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Site Team

I think your true issue here is the dealership. They should have found the hole on inspection before handing the rig over to you. Camping world is a little notorious on service issues. Do a search on these forums and you will see a theme. I had poor service from camping world with my old crossroads zinger. It would sit in their shop for weeks supposedly waiting on parts or approval. It would suddenly get fixed when I would call every day.

Fast forward to my Sabre. I bought from a different local dealership. My Sabre has had numerous issues including major slide issues with all 4 of my slides. My dealership has been extremely responsive and quick on the turn around. Failed bedroom slide which required a complete rewiring was back in my possession in 12 days. My trailer had enough issues to warrant a call to palomino. They took it back to the factory twice to get it right. I was more than frustrated and climbed the food chain palomino. It took another trip to the Goshen factory rally to finally get it right. Let me tell you how hard those guys worked to make me happy and feel whole again. Forest river does care. I suggest calling the factory warranty rep yourself. That will give you a lot more assistance. You can find a list of contacts here. Good luck and I hope you get fixed up soon.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #10

Thanks for the feedback! Man I just thought I had issues! Sounds like mine are nothing compared to some of yours. The dealer is not Camping World though. They only installed the slide topper that came off the first time I tried to use it.This is my third new trailer and the first time I've ever had this much trouble. I will say this is the first with a slide out. I think I will be calling the Forest River people.