Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

Apex Nano 187 Mods and overall thoughts on 187rb

Hi. Recently purchased 187rb. Here are the mods I have done so far.

* removed switch for outside speaker blue lights. Replaced with switch/dimmer package for white led outside lights under awning.

* added dimmer for led lights over table. Planning to add dimmers for overhead light as you walk in.

* added battery led puck lights in entry area and bathroom. We boondock a lot so no drain on main battery

* added suitcase version solar panel system using anderson connectors directly to battery. Disconnected solar on the go wiring

* added flip out shelf by sink. Used for electric coffee pot

* installed audio unit disconnect switch. Remove battery drain when boondocking.

* added numerous command hooks

* added digital battery monitor

* removed all hanging rods

Future mods include - additional dimmers, new bathroom faucet, shelves in front and bathroom cabinets, stove igniters. Look at ways to reduce ac noise, towel hangers in bath.

Overall like the 187. Coming from a Casita. More room is nice. Pulls fairly easy which was a requirement. We use a 2018 4Runner. Camp all over the country and Canada. Biggest gripe right now is ac noise. Bathroom faucet stinks. Needed to be longer. Too many lights and way too bright. No dimmers. Pretty solid other than these few gripes.

Tom
tbusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #2

Opposite Direction

Hi Tom,

We just bought a 187RB as well. We're coming from a 32' Winnebago Brave so we're downsizing a bit. Kids are grown and we just wanted a couples trailer. We looked at used Winnebago Views and met someone that was selling theirs to buy a Lance 1575. We didn't want to crawl over each other in the bed and also didn't want to spend that much on the Lance so we found the Apex Nano. We really like the walk around queen and the dinette for a setup.

Our dealer said we'd void the warranty if we made mods (and I have plenty to make). I want to put a bike hitch on the back. I plan to extend the bed support about 6" so I can slide the bed down (and put a bolster at the front -- to get the full queen) I'm 6'1" and need the extra length. I'm also going to put gas struts in it so it lifts easier. I want to add some USB ports for charging (electronics). Maxx-air fan in kitchen area. And my wife really wants a drawer in the kitchen for cutlery, etc.

We haven't taken trips in it yet. We pulled it with a Honda Pilot, but even though the Honda *can* pull 4500 lbs towing, it felt like the trailer needed a bigger tow vehicle. I'd see it revving up to 4k rpm going up slight hills -- and we weren't going fast at all.

We were towing a car in our Winnebago and it wasn't breathing as hard as the honda was. The honda was also getting killed on mileage. I'd get 23 mpg or so on the highway, but towing the Apex, I was averaging around 10 mpg on the highway. I was really disappointed in that. I was hoping we would do better. Our Winnebago would get between 8 and 10 mpg, but it had an 80 gallon gas tank. With the 20 gallon tank on the pilot, I'm filling up far too frequently. So it was a little unexpected, we like the Nano, but I think we need a bigger tow vehicle to get some better mileage.

Brian
bkbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

Other planned mods

I forgot to add. I'm also planning on strapping down the battery (and adding one) and a solar panel to the roof, battery quick disconnect and extra marine battery. Also chaining up the propane tank -- again the Winnebago had a larger propane tank built in.

We really like the layout of this camper.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:50 AM   #4

So since the last time I posted we’ve done a few more updates...

* Added igniters to stove
* installed/replaced fan in bathroom. Installed Maxxair fan
* Installed shelves in the bathroom and front closets
* installed electric jack
* replaced bathroom faucet
* added light dimmers at 2 locations. At he table area and one by the light next to air conditioner. It dims 4 lights.
* added dimmer for outside led lights.
* planning on covering up full mirrors with vinyl covering from Home Depot that looks like etched glass

Did some work trying to quiet air conditioner. I think it’s quieter but having measured yet. Watched a video that stated most noise is from the squirrel cage fan which I suspected. Upon inspection there was a piece of metal that was right in the airway path of fan. Electrical wires were routed on it. Rerouted wires, bent metal piece out of the air path, filled in vacant areas with foam, taped up other areas. Basically just making sure the air had a clear path to get to the vents.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbusby View Post

* added light dimmers at 2 locations. At he table area and one by the light next to air conditioner. It dims 4 lights.
* planning on covering up full mirrors with vinyl covering from Home Depot that looks like etched glass

Did some work trying to quiet air conditioner. I think it’s quieter but having measured yet. Watched a video that stated most noise is from the squirrel cage fan which I suspected. Upon inspection there was a piece of metal that was right in the airway path of fan. Electrical wires were routed on it. Rerouted wires, bent metal piece out of the air path, filled in vacant areas with foam, taped up other areas. Basically just making sure the air had a clear path to get to the vents.

What dimmers are you using for the outside awning lights, the interior lights, and the speaker lights?
Projectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
What dimmers are you using for the outside awning lights, the interior lights, and the speaker lights?

Internal dimmer used 2 places. Over table and 4 ceiling lights on one dimmer

Facon 12Volt DC Touch Dimmer Switch Use with LED lights, Incandescent and Halogen Bulbs for RV, Camper, Marine, and Strip Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072349JZN..._MrmtDbY80N55C

USMEI Dual QC3.0 USB Charger Socket, 36W Waterproof Quick Charge 3.0 Power Outlet Adapter for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine Motorcycle ATV RV Campers Tractors Truck Golf-Cart etc https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZZP2PT..._ntmtDbHNJQBC6

Outside LED Lights Dimmer

American Technology Components 12 Volt DC Dimmer Switch for LED, Halogen, Incandescent - RV, Auto, Truck, Marine, and Strip Lighting (Large Slider, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TL2KQ4..._MumtDbHGB1EGZ
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #7

Just got back from month long trip to Colorado, Wisconsin and Michigan. This was really out first big test run. Went well.

Future mods needed after trip
* LED lights in pantry. Actuated from cabinet doors switch
* replace internal speakers
* replace front led lights to white. Maybe add lights in cargo area
* beef up paneling mounting in a couple of areas
Old 09-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #8

Added led pantry lights using a magnetic switch as actuator. Works great.

Added stove burner cover.
Finished shelving with factory wood.
Replacing mattress
Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #9

We replaced the faucet too, it was just too close the the sink edge. I posted pics in mod forum.

I like your idea for a radio cutoff.
I'm going to check out the dimmers.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbusby View Post

What did you use for the stove ignitor? Would like to add one to my Apex. Also where did you source the OEM wood for your cabinet shelves? Thanks!
Alloutdrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote