Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Apex Nano 193bhs battery reconnect question

This is the first time I am going to pick up the trailer from winter storage. Newbie that I am, I forgot to take a picture of the way the battery was connected to the unit before I disconnected the battery to take it home with me to keep it charged over the winter.

Read quite a bit here and online about reconnecting the battery - just wondering if any ApexNano193bhs owners can give me the connection info I need?

I am not even sure how the wiring is colored on this unit. I have learned that if red and black, black is negative. If Black and white the white goes to the negative. And there may be a third wire for the slide motor?

Lastly, have read and been told that the proper order is positive than negative.

Always learning.....
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Husky Quest Brake Controller
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #2

I don't have your unit, but in general red is positive and black is negative. If you're still uncertain, you could post a picture here and maybe someone with your unit can help. And yes... you connect positive first and negative second.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

If you have a 3rd wire to the slide motor, it is usually an orange wire. Orange is an accessory color if they use the standard colors. The 3rd wire if it goes to an accessory should have a breaker or fuse inline somewhere. It could also be a wire to power the break-a-way switch, which are not generally fused (if it's a break-a-way, it is probably black also but will be smaller diameter).

Red/Black - Red is positive, black is negative; Black/White - Black is positive, white is negative. Oddly enough my trailer has Red positive and White negative from the battery. So there is a third possibility.

Yes, hook up the positive and then follow with the negative. Logic behind that is if the positive is being hooked up and there is no negative connection yet, if you wrench hits a grounded part of the trailer frame there is no sparking as there is no complete path back to the battery (frame is ground normally and you have not hooked up that wire yet). But if you hook up Negative first, and then your wrench hits the frame while hooking up the positive, you have a path from the positive direct to ground from the wrench which is touching the positive terminal via the frame to ground/negative and poof - arcing and sparking takes place. It's probably more likely in a automotive environment, but it "could" happen in a trailer and is best practice to do it that way.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #4

Update: 4 wires. Black, red, white, thinner red with inline fuse. The red and black are labelled. Easy. The other two?
BlueOx Swaypro WDH
Husky Quest Brake Controller
cityfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #5
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfrank View Post
Update: 4 wires. Black, red, white, thinner red with inline fuse. The red and black are labelled. Easy. The other two?
If the thinner red and white go to the positive and negative terminals, it could be the power tongue jack? It would normally have a 30amp fuse in line. I would expect white to be ground/negative.

Or does it go inside the body of the trailer? The slide will usually have a self-resetting breaker instead of a fuse.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #6
Misfit Adventures

Any pics
Misfit011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

Many negative wires are screwed into chassis metal at one end and the battery negative - post at the other. If you have a question about which is negative color in your camper...look where it is connected to the chassis metal. The other one is positive.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery