Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
I haven't found anything I couldn't do without a Cresent wrench. That being said, I always carry a socket set in my baby truck. I have a tool bag (hammer, screw drivers, pliers, etc) that I throw in when I camp as well.
Yeah I have a small socket set in my truck that is metric (since it is a Toyota), just wasn't sure if Coachmen used that as well for most of their stuff. Maybe I'll just pick up some cheap odds and ends from Harbor Freight. They just opened by me so got some super cheap grand opening stuff. Get a torque wrench for the wheels and other basic "home repair" tools to throw in a small bag. Hopefully that will get me through anything I need to do while out and about.
deusxanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by deusxanime View Post
Yeah I have a small socket set in my truck that is metric (since it is a Toyota), just wasn't sure if Coachmen used that as well for most of their stuff. Maybe I'll just pick up some cheap odds and ends from Harbor Freight. They just opened by me so got some super cheap grand opening stuff. Get a torque wrench for the wheels and other basic "home repair" tools to throw in a small bag. Hopefully that will get me through anything I need to do while out and about.
The only specific tool I keep in the camper is a 14v Hitachi Drill in a case I've had for about 8 years now. I use it for the jacks with a 3/4" socket.
badercubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #63

Strangely, I had a bit of bad luck getting the right tool for the hot water drain valve. Because of the limited space, an adjustable wrench didn’t give me enough leverage, and the sockets in my wrench kit were all too small. I found this Camco universal hot water drain plug wrench, but the plug on the 108BHS must be a non-standard size because both sides of the wrench were too small.

I was limited to a crappy Home Depot that day, and I found that the only socket size they carried that would fit, was > 1”. It’s not a perfect fit either, because once you get over 1” the sizes become metric, but it was close enough. Unfortunately socket sizes that big typically have a 1/2” drive, and my socket wrench was a 3/8” drive. So I bought an adapter kit, but the only one it didn’t include was the one I needed, 3/8”->1/2”! So I had to buy a cheap 1/2” drive wrench for the stupid socket. I’m sure the right tool is out there, I was just desperate and with limited options that day. Oh well, at least I now own a socket wrench with a 1/2” drive!
Shanksworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksworthy View Post
Strangely, I had a bit of bad luck getting the right tool for the hot water drain valve. Because of the limited space, an adjustable wrench didn’t give me enough leverage, and the sockets in my wrench kit were all too small. I found this Camco universal hot water drain plug wrench, but the plug on the 108BHS must be a non-standard size because both sides of the wrench were too small.

I was limited to a crappy Home Depot that day, and I found that the only socket size they carried that would fit, was > 1”. It’s not a perfect fit either, because once you get over 1” the sizes become metric, but it was close enough. Unfortunately socket sizes that big typically have a 1/2” drive, and my socket wrench was a 3/8” drive. So I bought an adapter kit, but the only one it didn’t include was the one I needed, 3/8”->1/2”! So I had to buy a cheap 1/2” drive wrench for the stupid socket. I’m sure the right tool is out there, I was just desperate and with limited options that day. Oh well, at least I now own a socket wrench with a 1/2” drive!
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that annoyance.

I ended up using a deep 1-1/16" impact socket (I think) with a long extention. I had a hell of a time getting it started too and it seemed to only want to go in about 1/3 of the way. I hope it comes out at the end of the year!
Old 06-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that annoyance.

I ended up using a deep 1-1/16" impact socket (I think) with a long extention. I had a hell of a time getting it started too and it seemed to only want to go in about 1/3 of the way. I hope it comes out at the end of the year!
I also had to buy an extension, I think 4”. All told, I spent around $40 CAD on that stupid thing.

And I concur, it’s a real pain to hand-tighten it enough to get it started. I’m not sure if it’s just weird threading, or just because the anode rod is too heavy to stay straight. But by the time I do finally get it to stay, I’m usually so frustrated that I don’t care if I cross-thread the thing. On my first camping trip when I was just using an adjustable wrench, I barely managed to get it tight enough where there was a very slow trickle.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #66

Love this Trailer!

We purchased the 208BHS back in March and love it!! We’ve literally have taken it out one weekend every month and just recently dry camped for a whole week in the Eastern Sierras. We still have 2 more trips planned. We love the layout and quality. I’m also enjoying the low weight. My Silverado doesn’t even know it’s towing it. I’ve made some upgrades, but can’t wait to make a few more. Glad to find this forum!
SDRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:38 AM   #67

This was great!! Thanks for sharing!
SDRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:02 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRv View Post
We purchased the 208BHS back in March and love it!! We’ve literally have taken it out one weekend every month and just recently dry camped for a whole week in the Eastern Sierras. We still have 2 more trips planned. We love the layout and quality. I’m also enjoying the low weight. My Silverado doesn’t even know it’s towing it. I’ve made some upgrades, but can’t wait to make a few more. Glad to find this forum!
Glad to hear it’s going well for you!
We’ve also been taking out 208BHS out every chance we could get, and it’s been a great experience. We have several more camping trips planned and I’m excited for every single one of them. We really are thankful to Apex for conceiving of this model, when there was really nobody else targeting the 2-kids-who-will-eventually-become-teens/2-adults-with-midsized-tow-vehicle segment.

We’ve also been surprised about the quality, based on all of the stories we’ve heard from other RV enthusiasts. Really in this price range, we’d been lead to expect less. But the Apex Nano has been solid.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #69

Those who still have the original factory propane bottle/setup, what are you using to cover it?

I bought this generic Camco cover and it doesn't seem to fit correctly at all.

edit: After doing some more research, it seems like those covers (linked above) are designed for base-mounted tanks that are on a level platform above the hitch, so that it can snap around the bottom of the bottle. The single bottle on ours has the strap around it and is sunk in between the frame rails of the hitch, so totally different. Argh!

So what options are there for us? Maybe unstrap it, put a vinyl cover on it and then put the strap around that? Is it worth it? Seems like mine already has some dings/chips that are causing small rust spots from even just a couple short trips. Can't imagine how bad it would get over time! Interested to see how others covered theirs.

Possibly something like this?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by deusxanime View Post
Those who still have the original factory propane bottle/setup, what are you using to cover it?

I bought this generic Camco cover and it doesn't seem to fit correctly at all.

edit: After doing some more research, it seems like those covers (linked above) are designed for base-mounted tanks that are on a level platform above the hitch, so that it can snap around the bottom of the bottle. The single bottle on ours has the strap around it and is sunk in between the frame rails of the hitch, so totally different. Argh!

So what options are there for us? Maybe unstrap it, put a vinyl cover on it and then put the strap around that? Is it worth it? Seems like mine already has some dings/chips that are causing small rust spots from even just a couple short trips. Can't imagine how bad it would get over time! Interested to see how others covered theirs.

Possibly something like this?
I do a lot of boondocking since I like the woods, so I put dual 30lb tanks and a cover. Love it and didn't destroy my tongue weight.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #71

Towing Question

Hi Everyone - new to the forum so I apologize in advance for the eyerolls I am going to receive on this one and if I need to be directed elsewhere please forgive me.

Am looking to acquire my first RV and the 208BHS model looks fantastic, and after reading the comments I am even more interested.

However, my concern is with the TV. Have a 2014 Pathfinder SL that has a towing capacity of 5,000 LBS and max tongue weight of 500 LBS. Is the 208BHS even an option for me? I'll need to add a weight distribution hitch and don't intend to add any modifications (additional batteries/LP, etc. - which I understand will only further cause problems).

Should I even be looking at this unit, or would a 193BHS be more appropriate?

Thanks so much for any responses, advice you may have.
JZ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ87 View Post
Hi Everyone - new to the forum so I apologize in advance for the eyerolls I am going to receive on this one and if I need to be directed elsewhere please forgive me.

Am looking to acquire my first RV and the 208BHS model looks fantastic, and after reading the comments I am even more interested.

However, my concern is with the TV. Have a 2014 Pathfinder SL that has a towing capacity of 5,000 LBS and max tongue weight of 500 LBS. Is the 208BHS even an option for me? I'll need to add a weight distribution hitch and don't intend to add any modifications (additional batteries/LP, etc. - which I understand will only further cause problems).

You'll be over everything. I would do it very seldomly on short trips and unloaded, but ultimately I wouldn't have that combo for long. The 208 is definitely worth it if you're going to make a habit of camping, but you'd end up needing to upgrade the TV.

For reference as well, not all vehicles are able to use WD hitches, so check your manual before you assume.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #73

Quote:

Even though I think the 208BHS is a great trailer, I think it would be too much for your Pathfinder. It is 4000# dry and you have to include not only the trailer but all the people and gear when you look at towing capacity. So you have the trailer at 4000#, probably a 3-4 people that are 5-600#, then any other gear you bring along. I'm guessing you'd exceed that 5000# tow rating quickly! You should probably go down a bit in size and leave yourself a little cushion. How much is probably dependent on how comfortable you are pulling it, but I think around 3000# dry is probably where you'd want to shoot for as a max, in my opinion.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #74
...Dave’s not here.

Tomorrow is my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
My 1st camping trip with my new 203rbk
I’m going in tomorrow to take delivery on my 203.
Going to be a fun weekend playing in the new toy!!
Scotch2cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #75

Quote:

Unfortunately I think that for that TV the 208BHS is out of the question. TBH even the 193BHS would be pushing it with that TV. If you carry more than 2 passengers you'll risk exceeding the payload. If you don't pack a lot then you'll barely scrape by on the GCWR, and a WDH will only prevent you from exceeding the max rear axle limit. It definitely won't be a comfortable ride.

If you don't want to go with an R-Pod style camper, then a more suitable model for your TV might be the 185BH, or even one of the Geo Pro models. Or if you want to upgrade to a beefier tow vehicle that still qualifies as an SUV rather than a truck, most Durango models can handle the 193BHS easily, and the R/T model can effortlessly pull a 208BHS.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksworthy View Post
Looks like you have the exact model run as mine — early 2019, pre-pullout grill (drawer instead), quartz interior. Nice! Did you get it with AC?

If that’s your land it’s parked on, then you’re very fortunate. I live in a Calgary suburb where it’s impossible to store an RV on your own land. The houses are close together and my neighborhood is too sloped to risk parking an RV even for a night. So I’ll have to load up my tow vehicle and drive all my gear out to the storage yard in order to load up my Nano, which I predict will be a huge pain.
What end of Calgary are youI’m in The deep southwest and looking at this exact trailer to pull behind my Tacoma. Any pro’s or cons you have with the trailer yet? I’m looking at mostly camping close to the city and probably without hookups. Maybe the odd pull out to the Okanagan.
Toytech89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toytech89 View Post
What end of Calgary are youI’m in The deep southwest and looking at this exact trailer to pull behind my Tacoma. Any pro’s or cons you have with the trailer yet? I’m looking at mostly camping close to the city and probably without hookups. Maybe the odd pull out to the Okanagan.
Hello fellow Calgarian. I’m in the NW, Symons Valley area. Is it your first RV? The 208BHS is our first and we’ve already used it several times this season, with several more trips planned. It’s been extremely reliable so far.

Cons are just nit picky surface stuff that you can upgrade yourself: Comes with cheaper bathroom fan, no 12v USB ports (although I think they updated that in the 2020 model), no upper-bunk window, no battery cutoff, no shower surround, doesn’t come with sink/stove covers, no hood fan, choices of interiors are a little dark. I’ve already upgraded a few of those shortcomings, but TBH after using it several times, it turns out none of this really bothers me anyway!

As for pros, really there are too many to name, but to list a few...: Super light-weight, dual-axle, double-bunk, walk-around queen bed, dry bath with sink/vanity, Azdel skin, aluminum frame, LOADS of storage and living space considering the light weight and 21’ length, large fridge/freezer, bonus (if somewhat minimal) outdoor kitchen, gorgeous exterior especially with the front windshield, better-than-average quality control, easy to tow with our Durango R/T.

I think you’ll be ok to tow it with your Tacoma if you’ve got the one with 6500 lbs tow limit. I really can’t think of any reason dissuade you from buying this model, it really is the most feature-packed TT for the price and weight, and I think you’ll really enjoy it. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:30 PM   #78

We pull our 208BHS with our 2019 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6M/T and it drives decent. I debated going up to the 245BHS for the additional features, but I think that would have been too much for the Tacoma, so I'm glad I stuck with the 208. It is 4000# dry and by the time you include people and gear you are probably over 5000#. I like to leave a bit of wiggle room and not push the towing specs to the limit, so that was about as far as I wanted to go. You'll want a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway for sure. We got the E2 with ours from the trailer dealer. I thought I might need to beef up the suspension with an add-a-leaf or maybe get bump stops like SumoSprings, but once you have the WDH setup correctly it really doesn't sag barely at all in the rear.

As far as driving, it pulls fine on level ground like we mostly have in the midwest, but does struggle a bit going up steep hills. It'll make it, but might take a bit and have to drop a couple gears down! With the manual transmission I like to stick to 4th gear mostly (1:1 ratio) when cruising, but if it is on the freeway and flat and level for a while I might bump it up to 5th gear. I also usually stick to 60mph or so and don't go much faster than that, even on the freeway. If you have the automatic you'll want to make sure the ECT button is on and then go into "S" mode so you can control the max gear. You'll probably want to stick to S4 in that mode and maybe bump up to S5 if it is flat and level. Also if you have an automatic and plan on towing a TT, you might want to get a ScanGuage or an app for your phone so that you can monitor the tranny temperatures. Unfortunately the Tacoma doesn't have an easy display of that and I think it would be important to monitor, especially if you are pulling for long distances and/or up and down hills or mountains.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #79

It sounds like the Tacoma pulls it ok over shorter trips, which is what Toytech89 mentioned it would be used for anyway. Otherwise I might have recommended the 193BHS instead. Its sacrifices are minimal, and it still packs a tremendous floor plan into a smaller footprint, and would be a more comfortable towing experience. You lose a few features that might not really matter too much to you once you start using it.

The important thing is you still get the bunks, slideout, queen bed, dry bath, and bathroom vanity which is a combo you won’t see in any other TTs that light (even the equivalent-yet-much-more-expensive Winnebago model is missing the bathroom vanity, and has smaller bunks and queen bed).
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #80
mmn

208BHS Price

We are shopping around for the 208BHS as our first travel trailer. What price should we pay for this travel trailer?
mmn is offline   Reply With Quote

« TV Backer 20se | - »