Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #1

Arctic Eskimo package

Looking at the website for the Brookstone models I saw this mentioned but no explanation was given, I assume it's an insulation package. Anyone know the story?
irishtom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #2

A pair of Mucklucks and 25# of whale blubber? Just a WAG! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

The Arctic Eskimo package is almost certainly a gimmicky name for a heated and enclosed underbelly, possibly a layer of reflective foil insulation, and maybe double pane windows. Nice to have but hardly Arctic worthy. Mukluks and whale blubber included at no extra charge.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #4

Wouldn't hurt to email them and ask.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
Wouldn't hurt to email them and ask.
I did and this morning a representative called me. It's an insulation package with (I think) R28 floor, R38 roof and R14 walls, as I recall. I was half asleep and neglected to write down the details however I found them satisfactory.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtom29 View Post
I did and this morning a representative called me. It's an insulation package with (I think) R28 floor, R38 roof and R14 walls, as I recall. I was half asleep and neglected to write down the details however I found them satisfactory.
Did they say whether they have direct heated pads on the tanks or just heat blown into the compartment, or both?

The R values for the floor and roof are the same as my 11 was advertised as, though they have moved up the walls from R10. Because of the new Azdel walls must be.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

Don't forget the all important "Arctic Eskimo" sticker on the side. That in itself makes it sound like you're really getting something. But it will still have thin 1 1/2"-2" thick sidewalls and barely any insulation in the floor or ceiling...but the sticker always looks nice.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Did they say whether they have direct heated pads on the tanks or just heat blown into the compartment, or both?

The R values for the floor and roof are the same as my 11 was advertised as, though they have moved up the walls from R10. Because of the new Azdel walls must be.
He mentioned blown hot air underneath but not heating pads.

I asked about Azdel as it's mentioned on the website for lower lines but not for the Brookstone. He said the Brookstone doesn't use Azdel but something he considered better, luan encapsulated by a heavy gel coat or some such thing. One would think since they use Azdel on cheaper models they do really think what they're doing in the Brookstone is better.

What's your opinion of the insulation and general overall quality of the Brookstone?
Old 11-13-2015, 12:25 AM   #9

Quote:

I asked about Azdel as it's mentioned on the website for lower lines but not for the Brookstone. He said the Brookstone doesn't use Azdel but something he considered better, luan encapsulated by a heavy gel coat or some such thing. One would think since they use Azdel on cheaper models they do really think what they're doing in the Brookstone is better.

What's your opinion of the insulation and general overall quality of the Brookstone?
I've looked at them and think the Cedar Creek or Silverback is a much better unit for about the same money. But that's just my opinion..
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:

Does seem odd that they don't use the Azdel. The Chaparral and Brookstone are built on the same line.

The Brookstone's have changed a lot since my 11. They have some very nice new floorplans, I really like the 378RE (basically a reversed FL version with better outside storage).

Insulation: Excellent actually. We can leave the fireplace on all night and it keeps the place warm, even into the high 30's, no gas needed. We tend to camp in the woods, so heat is not a problem in the summer even with our dark paint and only one 15k a/c. I bought mine as a left over model/off the lot. If I were to want to camp in hot sun, I would want 2 a/c's.

Overall quality: Hard to compare, as mine is now 5 years older than the new 16's and a lot has changed. After too many teething problems, it has been excellent (jinx). I am lucky, I don't live too far from Middlebury and took it back there for my issues (some subcontracted equipment issues, some manufacturing issues) that were all covered under warranty. I highly recommend the repair shop there. Good people, great work.

Overall, I am not sure what Coachmen is doing with Brookstone. It's like they don't want it to really succeed. Their website is lacking in compared to other brands, in the past few years they have kind of made the Brookstone too similar in appearance to the Chappy. You almost never hear anything about it in Trailer Life.

Although we are now very happy with our Brookstone and plan on keeping it a very long time, I would definitely compare it in person to other trailers at its price point (where ever that may be now). Previously she was on point with the Montana's and Infinity's, but I don't know where she is now.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #11

Although Azdel is apparently a superior product to Luan plywood, I question how much of a benefit it is in laminated wall construction. If you get water intrusion into the sandwich, the only difference between having Azdel or Luan for the outer sub layer is the Luan will absorb water ,and possibly the Luan may delaminate itself. Typically though its the glue that releases from water intrusion 99% of the time, so they can advertise Azdel will not rot, but that does not gain you very much if your wall starts to delaminate. If the fiberglass is releasing from the Azdel or Luan, or Luan or Azdel is releasing from the foam insul, you still have a hell of a problem either way that is almost impossible to repair. At least its almost impossible to repair so that it does not look like a repair. ANother thing they like to put out as a benefit is Azdel supposedly will not have as much telegraphing of seams through the fiberglass. It may not show those as much but I can go on any sales lots and show you where the substrate seams are on either. An RV tech who does a lot of laminated fiberglass body work for insurance claims told me he thinks the Luan is a better choice as the glue adheres better to it. It is more porous than the Azdel. Again, I don't see where it matters much.

R-38 in a trailer roof? They can make that claim but I call BS. R-38 is equal to 12" of fiberglass batt or about 7" to 8" of extruded PS foam. Your not going to get it out of a radiant barrier no matter what the trailer manufacturer or insul manufacturer tells you. They can get it under laboratory conditions but not in your ceiling.

Both look good in the brochure however.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Does seem odd...
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Thanks to Havercamp as well.